The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 8, 2010, 06:12 PM   #26
Stargazer

I keep my lubed too after losing a few handles. I also found that it is way easier to hold and do a good prime with by sliding a piece of hose about an inch long onto the bottom of the body. Gives me something to hold on too other than just the metal.

M70 Web Page
Old April 8, 2010, 08:29 PM   #27
mbopp

I got one for doing small primers, the large primers I still do on the press. Yeah, it's slick. I was getting a few jams until I realized I was short-stroking it sometimes and getting a primer in sideways. The contact points are lubed with a dab of moly grease. So far I've run WW and CCI primers in it.
Old April 8, 2010, 09:31 PM   #28
BigJakeJ1s

I started with the LAP. Being thumb actuated, it has good feel, but when priming a couple hundred or more rounds at a sitting, my thumb would get numb.

I switched to the RCBS Universal Hand Primer (with the square tray), and like it a lot better. The whole hand actuates the lever, so my hand does not tire as quickly, yet I still get a good feel for the primer seating. It has universal shell holder jaws, so you never need change the shell holder out. The square tray is easily removable, and lays flat on the bench for loading or storage. The tray is large enough to lay a factory sleeve down flat in it, and it will easily hold 200 large primers at a time. The tray has a gate on the chute to make sure primers don't spill out when putting it back on the hand unit. Just like their round-tray, conventional shell holder version, the UHP has the metal gate that separates the primers in the chute and tray from the primer being seated, to help prevent mishaps from propagating to the tray.

The only downside to the UHP is that it is not easy to change primer sizes. I started out keeping my LHP setup for Small primers, since I don't use them as much. Then my wife got me a 2nd UHP as a gift, so I leave one UHP set up for each primer size. The tray works with either size, so I can load both trays up at once with whichever primer I am using, the get busy priming.

FYI, the square tray is also available for the older round-tray model if you want.

Andy
Old April 9, 2010, 10:13 AM   #29
Sam06

I am married to mine(I have 2). Its not a great marriage but I have all the shell holders and 2 LAP's, yep one for small and one for large primers. It did not start out that way. I broke my 1st one and got another one. Then I found out they sell parts for them and fixed the broke one. They are nice to use, they are cheap and they will break. You can lub it, pray over it, burn incense for it but its gonna break...................Its made of pot metal

If I was to start all over I would get the RCBS one.

For my benchrest gun I use a sinclar..................Now that is hoity toity

I am almost to 1000!