The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 20, 2008, 09:23 PM   #1
FLRich

Rip VanWinkle needs powder and bullet help please.

I feel like Rip VanWinkle, it has been probably 8-9 years since I have reloaded/cast and I can use some help. I did about 500rds a week each of .45 and .38 super with some .38 special and a FEW 7mm TCU tossed in but I am just lost now. I just built a bench and am ready to pull out my dual Dillon 550's so I can start again, we have moved several times and my storage locations were not the best so I am sure I will need to clean them up quite a bit after unpacking.

I am planning on reloading a few new calibers and need suggestions for powder and bullets. I think I have a few K left of several flavors of primers (from the last AWB!) and I have an 8lb keg of 231 that was sealed in a bag. I do not have a good local supplier and will probably end up mail ordering so I need a shopping list. I know some powders can do double and tripple duty so suggestions to a couple of "well rounded" powders would be appreciated so I can keep inventory to a minimum.

.223 (AR15), .308 (M1A), 7mmTCU (Contender), .45 ACP, .357, and 38 Super
.270 WSM, 30/06 (Garand/1903)

Playing with bullets what are some suggestions ? I guess it would be best to buy about 100 of each and then see what does well so I need a few different weight suggestions for target practice. The .270WSM and maybe the 7mm pistol could be used for hunting so I'll have to look for a nice heavy bullet. The .270 works well with the 150gr Win Silvertips. AR's are 1:10 and I am waiting for a 1:8 not sure what the others are in twist.

I still have some Hornady XTP's in 230gr JRN and some Sierra's for the 7mm. I just would like a good shopping list for the bench so when I am all done with the setup I can set down and start "cooking" think of a cook setting up a spice rack at a brand new restaurant . Heck I don't even think I had internet back then, I can just guess what sort of lists that can be found out there when taken with a "grain of salt".
Old December 20, 2008, 09:41 PM   #2
Loader9

In all of the cartridges you listed, Remington makes a bullet that works. The 223 55 gr bullets will shoot out of all of the barrel twists. The 150 gr Core Loks are favorite out of my 308's. I don't have many 7mm guns and rarely do they come out. The 45 ACP for carry bullets, the Golden Sabres are hard to beat but for plinking, the Remington RN is a dandy if you want to stay with jacketed bullets. Otherwise, the Rainier or Berrys plated bullets work great. I use the Remington 140 JHP in my 357's and they work fabulous. I use the Remington 115 JHP and the 124 Golden Sabres in my Colt Special Combat 38 Super. The 3006 can also use the 150 Core- Loks. But there are a WIDE variety of bullets out there. Pick one you like and give it a try. But I've had nothing but great luck with Remington bullets and they are still reasonable. Here's Midways website for you to look over. There are other places out there to buy from but Midways website is the easiest to use.
http://www.midwayusa.com/
Old December 20, 2008, 09:55 PM   #3
FLRich

It sounds like the 150gr will be a common bullet and please excuse this ignorance but like I said I am just coming out of a "coma" so I don't really remember I got to do more reading. a 150rg 30 cal is a 150gr 30 cal right so I should be able to cook something up for both 06 and .308 for that right ? Currently I use loaded Win 150gr Silvertips in my Savage .270WSM and they do a great job on deer.

.223 for some reason I remember a bit better and for my 1:10 I know 55gr will do well but for the 24" 1:8 upper I am waiting for I am thinking some 66gr and 80gr will be fun to try even though the 80's will need to be loaded one at a time.

I got a few hensley gibbs molds packed away but I think I gave away all of my lead ingots when I moved. I cleaned the range about every 6 months and had a LOT of range led that I had bulk cleaned and melted years ago. I have a star sizer somewhere but will probably buy my cast rounds in bulk since my lead source is now 600+ miles away.

Basicly what I am trying to do is buy whatever I can that can be common between different guns/cal's. Once I get started with those then I'll see what I need and work from there in smaller quantities for special loads.
Old December 20, 2008, 10:35 PM   #4
Loader9

Yepper, the 3006 and 308 are both 30 caliber and can use the same bullets. I've shot a lot of the quick twist barrels and few will shoot the heavy bullets with extreme accuracy. Most will shoot up to 64 gr pills and do it with authority but past that, accuracy seems to fall off for most of them. But it's like anything else, ya don't know if ya don't try.
Old December 23, 2008, 10:48 PM   #5
FLRich

OK I did some research and got the bullet thing down now, that was the simple part. Now comes the powder, my head is spinning after 2 nights of internet searches trying to find a couple of common powders. I found a somewhat local supplier and he has a great selection of everything I need (and then some!) but I got to decide on what powder to stock up on. Since I don't have anyone real local to buy from and don't like the haz-mat fees I would much rather take a drive buy some bulk powder of what I really need and maybe a pound or two of the others while keeping the selection to a minimum.

Since none of us are made of money any suggestions on "common" powders.

I already have 5lbs of W231, I think I used 748 for my 7mm TCU but that has been about it and I don't have any more of that. What is the most "flexable" powder out there? Again I'll be doing .45, .38/.357, some .40 possibly, .38 super and .223 and .308.
Old December 23, 2008, 11:34 PM   #6
Loader9

You can use the 231 since you have 5lbs of it for your pistol cases. It won't excel in every case but it will work. I have a lot of 231 and rarely use it as it is dirty. I use mostly HS-6 and AA5. AA5 is a lot like Unique in that it works pretty decent in most cases and burns clean. It's also a ball powder which can be important if using a powder measure. For the rifle cases, for a one fits all kinda powder, you're gonna have a hard getting anything better than Varget. It works great for the heavier bullets in the 223 and works just as good as any of the common powders in the 308. I prefer 2230 in the 223 because I shoot more than just heavy bullets and 2230 works great in the 223 but there is also TAC. TAC is designed with the AR type platforms for NATO. It is clean burning and works great across the board. I prefer VV135 in a 308 because it produces some of the best accuracy of any other powder out there. But if you don't need one hole groups, Varget will work great for the rifles.
Old December 24, 2008, 06:34 AM   #7
FLRich

Thanks Loader,

Sounds like Varget will be it for rifle, may need some 748 I think for my 7mm TCU and I'll use up my 231 till it runs out. I have heard good things about Bullseye for pistol and that may come later on as I use up my 231. Eventually I'll expand but for now till' I get my feet wet all over again and wrapped up into the hobby again it should tie me over.
Old December 24, 2008, 11:42 AM   #8
amamnn

If you go to the hodgon website and enter the reloading data section there, you can do comparisons of Hodgon, Winchester, and IMR powders in the calibers you use for bullet weights you use. You can get load data as well. You'll also be able to see that certain powders are useful in a variety of cartridges and etc. You'll also be able to print out the data.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
Old December 24, 2008, 04:10 PM   #9
FLRich

Great! that sounds very good. Part that stinks is that I have a slow internet connection here in the country. I am using a Verizon air card on an EXTREMELY weak signal, can't make calls from home but I got a special setup up in the attic that get's a connection, better than dialup but web intensive stuff is slow.

Maybe I'll go drive over to the tower and mess with it a bit tomorow.

After the kids do their presents I think I am going to take the older one and put him to work bringing in boxes of reloading tools and supplies from the garage so I can make a list of whatever parts I need from Dillon. Some have probably rusted or got lost after all these years.

Merry Christmas to all!
Old December 25, 2008, 01:04 AM   #10
amamnn

We don't have broadband here either. I usually play a couple games of solitaire on the computer while I'm waiting for pages to load. Luckily, I'm not in a hurry.
Old December 25, 2008, 09:16 AM   #11
FLRich

Actually I can't complain. It's no cable modem but it's somewhat better than the DSL lite I had years ago. It's just rough coming from a cable modem at the rental house while we were building here to this. I work for the company and we just bought out another wireless company, the tower is only 1 mile away so hopefully soon we will have their towers on our network. I'll have a killer signal and the internet speeds to boot.

Merry Christmas!
Old December 25, 2008, 03:21 PM   #12
crowbeaner

WW 748 or Hodgdon BLC2 will work for all the rifle calibers you list except the WSM. WW760 or H414 should work for that one. CB.