The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 18, 1999, 09:41 PM   #1
kingknives

I'm getting ready to start reloading and, as a beginner, it would be helpful to get some suggestions on powder type, brass, primers and bullets. Such as makers, purchasing resources, brands etc.. I will be loading the .45 ACP and 9mm. Any help from the professionals would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

[This message has been edited by kingknives (edited September 19, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by kingknives (edited September 19, 1999).]
Old September 19, 1999, 04:29 AM   #2
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello, sir. Congratulations on beginning reloading. I hope you find it as nice as I have over the decades. I'm no professional, but will offer what's worked for me in these two calibers for you to do with as you choose. First, I generally use Bullseye and Unique powders as they were the most popular when I started and I've been most happy with them. There probably are better powders available today, but I have loads of this stuff and stick with it.

In .45ACP: A nice factory duplication load is a a cast 225 or 230 gr RN loaded over 4.8 to 5.0 gr. Bullseye. Load to the same LOA as ball. Velocity is in the range of 775 to 820 ft/sec. out of a 5" bbl. I use WW or Fed primers. You can also load a 200 gr CSWC over the same powder charge for an average velocity of 826 ft/sec which has proven accurate and easy on the gun. I've also had good luck with the Rainier 230 gr plate RN over 5.3 gr Bullseye for 832 ft/sec. If you want one load for everything, I've had excellent results overall with a H&G #68 CSWC loaded over 7.2 gr Unique. The last time I chronographed it, velocity was in the 1000 ft/sec range.

In 9mm, the most accurate load I've found in a wide range of guns, but especially Browning HPs is: 124 gr Hornady XTP/6.0 gr Unique/FC cases/WW or FC primer. Average velocity from a Browning HP and CZ 75 respectively is 1243 and 1238 ft/sec. Load to 1.11" LOA. I don't suggest going any hotter, but have never had any problems with this load insofar as pressure is concerned. While I've never had as good of luck with cast or plated bullets in 9mm with regards to accuracy as with jacketed, the following works reasonably well for a factory ball duplication load: 124 gr. Rainier plated RN/6.9 gr BlueDot/same as before. Load to same length as ball. Average velocity from BHP and CZ 75 respectively is 1166 and 1168 ft/sec. You can also load the Sierra 115 gr PJHP over 6.2 gr Unique for an average velocity from the HP of 1242 ft/sec and it, too, is accurate. Hope this is of help. Best.
Old September 20, 1999, 12:34 PM   #3
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

BE VERY CAREFUL reloading 9mm brass. (case thickness, brittleness and volume VARY WIDELY between manufacturers. I'd buy a BULK pack of once fired commercial brass (IN ALL ONE BRAND) for 9mm. I bought a bunch of mixed cases from midway and the results were not good.. its very easy to make a compressed load with 9mm brass compared to 45 because of the smaller capacity and .1 grain might be all the difference in a sammi compliant load and a compressed load.. just because the cases vary between brands.

Besides.. with 1 lot of brass you will get better consistant accuracy and load data.

(BTW in 45 cases I generally ignore this.. there is "enuff room" in most loads to NOT EVER create a compressed load working within my paarameters)

My pet load for plinking is a 200 grian semiwadcutter by laser cast, a cci large pistol primer and 5 grains of red dot.

Measure twice, load once, stay safe...

Dr.Rob

Old September 24, 1999, 12:39 AM   #4
zot

I use mostly Winchester products due to their
low cost for bulk quantities of primers and
powder, I use 231 for 9mm and .45acp, stick
to Winchesters reloading manual, Speer scares
me with the high weights for max loads, some
others stay close to Winchesters max loads,
follow the load manual and seat bullets to
specs, load 6 rounds and test fire, if your
still in one piece and the gun is, then try
for accuracy, just be sure of your powder
charge, I don't know what kind of measure you have, I reload progressive and use a RCBS
Uniflow, I get it set and still check after 10 rounds, reloading is fun and SAVES alot
of$$$$$, and once you start the more you'll shoot, be carefull and have fun,:}
Old September 25, 1999, 02:13 AM   #5
burrhead

Congratulations on joining the reloading community. My favorite "screwing around/plinking load" load for 45 ACP is 4.0gr of Bullseye with 230gr cast lead. It's easy on the gun, functions well and is very accurate with all the Governments I've fired it in for the last 25 years.
One thing to watch out for when loading cast bullets is that bullet lube will build up on the bullet seating plug and progressively seat the bullets deeper and deeper. Occasionally scrape around on the plug with a kitchen match or other soft probe to check for "ugly wax build-up".
I buy once-fired, commercial brass from a variety of sources; look around on the web. Avoid military brass or suffer swaging primer pockets. Never pick up "range brass". Like your mother said, you don't know where it's been.
Bullet sources come and go; again, look at the web but watch out for excessive shipping charges. I've had bad luck with National Bullet Company's quality. I do like American Bullet Company's work but have found all the commercial casters somewhat inconsistant.

Reload safe, reload often.

------------------
Join the NRA.

[This message has been edited by burrhead (edited September 25, 1999).]
Old September 29, 1999, 08:23 PM   #6
kingknives

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the help. Got my reloader yesterday. Got some brass and bullets on the way. And some accessories. Just need to pick up some podwer and primers and I'm all set. If you hear a loud boom ccoming from southwest Florida, that's probably me! LOL! Take care!
Old October 2, 1999, 07:59 PM   #7
dundee

If I were just starting and had the money I would go straight to Starline brass for the 9mm and possibly for the 45 as well. As others have said the 45 is low pressure and easy to get good loads for. Depending on what you are doing with the 9mm since it works at much higher pressure than the 45 the details of loading are more important. A common beginner mistake is not getting the proper taper crimp on these auto cartridges. Lead bullets are much cheaper than jacketed and for practice have been used for many years. Good luck and come back if you have any problems.
Old October 3, 1999, 07:04 PM   #8
CCV

My favorite competition loads, developed for accuracy are:

9mm- 124 grain Hornady 124 grain JFP over 4.2 grains of Hodgdon's TiteGroup.

.45 ACP- 185 grain Nosler JHP over 5.3 grains of TiteGroup.

Good Shooting and good luck.