The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 20, 2013, 03:49 PM   #1
SC4006

Question about "CMP" Garands

Hello, it seems that whenever someone talks about buying an M1 Garand, someone mentions CMP, so I checked them out. I have a question about this, how are they able to sell Garands for about $500-$600 when everytime i've seen one in a gunshop its been $900+? Also, how long would you guys say they will have service grade M1's available? For $625 i'd be really interested in getting one, but now is not really a good time for me to buy any guns, so how long could I wait to get one?

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old March 20, 2013, 04:06 PM   #2
NWPilgrim

These are direct govt surplus, and CMP is non-profit org set up to sell them as well as run the Camp Perry shooting and the overall Civilian Marksmanship Program. What see at gun shows are ones that were at some time bought from CMP and now are being re-sold.

No telling about how long they will keep selling. Their newsletter says they have a backlog of 12,000 rifles and only filling mail order sales for now.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 20, 2013, 05:31 PM   #3
tahunua001

what NW pilgrim said^^^
Old March 20, 2013, 05:44 PM   #4
kraigwy

The federal law enacted in 1996 (Title 36 U. S. Code, 0701-40733) that created the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and Firearms Safety, Inc. (CPRPFS, the formal legal name of the CMP) mandates these key “functions for the corporation:

(1) To instruct citizens of the United States in marksmanship;

(2) To promote practice and safety in the use of firearms;

(3) To conduct competitions in the use of firearms and to award trophies, prizes, badges, and other insignia to competitors.

The law specifically states: In carrying out the Civilian Marksmanship Program, the corporation shall give priority to activities that benefit firearms safety, training, and competition for youth and that reach as many youth participants as possible.

This program has been in existence since 1903, Started by President T. Roosevelt. Prior to 1996 it was run by the Army under the Division of Civilian Marksmanship. It was then "National Board for the Promotion of Civilian Marksmanship".

The program was funded by the Taxpayer although sales did provide some funds. Under the carter to the CMP, all funding comes from the sales of surplus rifles and other equipment. The CMP Gets no funds.

The Army turns over surplus equipment to the CMP, which is actually cheaper then storing or destroying the equipment.

It's a win win for everyone concerned.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 20, 2013, 08:16 PM   #5
SC4006

oh interesting, didn't know anything about the CMP before this. Hopefully i'll be able to get an M1 Garand from them sometime.

Old March 20, 2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Hawkeye146

Plus no import marks. I've got a CMP "field grade" and it is a great shooter, stay away from gun show "deals", they are trying to make a profit.
Old March 20, 2013, 08:22 PM   #7
tahunua001

you kindof have to jump through a lot of hoops to buy from them. they need proof of citizenship, proof of membership in an associated firearms related club, proof of firearms training(score sheet signed by CMP certified instructor or proof of military service) and then you have to wait for them to file it all before you can actually make an order...

but on the bright side they can mail the gun right to your door.

Quote:
Plus no import marks. I've got a CMP "field grade" and it is a great shooter, stay away from gun show "deals", they are trying to make a profit.
seriously what percentage of US service rifles have importer marks?
there are the ocassional M1917s that went to Britain and the 1903s that went to french resistance but really?
I doubt many people buy a M1 and expect it to have a importers mark...
one thing they do do is remove all the proofs and cartouches from the stock... that's a real bummer for collectors.
Old March 20, 2013, 08:30 PM   #8
SC4006

Wow didn't know you had to do all of that, do they pretty much just want to make sure you know what you're doing when it comes to firearms? I should have what it takes to buy from them by the time I can get one.

Markings don't matter as much to me anyways, I just want an M1 Garand that I can shoot and to say I have one.

Old March 20, 2013, 08:43 PM   #9
Mike in Va.

You have to belong to a gun club, or an organization that is affilated with
The CMP, in order to purchase a firearm from them.
You can join The Garand Collectors Association ( www.thegca.org ), for
about $25.00 a year, ( you don't have to own one).
They will send your name to the CMP, which will qualify you to purchase
an M1.
If I remember correctly, you have to answer the same questions, that are
on the FFL forms, like at a gunshow or dealer.
If you go to The CMP site they have tne info. you will need.
Old March 20, 2013, 08:51 PM   #10
TXAZ

So I'm guessing TFL doesn't count?

Is there a list of organizations affiliated with them?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 20, 2013, 08:54 PM   #11
tahunua001

somewhere on their website there is a list of affiliated clubs/groups. for instance becoming a member at my local rifle range(just 2 miles from my house) and faxing them a copy of my membership card was sufficient. a lot of clubs will not go out of their way to inform CMP of your membership, that responsibility lies with the member.

and yes the order form for CMP includes the same questions and even has to be sworn before a notary.
Old March 20, 2013, 09:09 PM   #12
stu925

If you're planning on ordering from the CMP I wouldn't wait too long. They are backlogged about 60 days right now, I have no idea how many orders that may be but I'm going to say it's a lot and I have no idea how many rifles they have left. I'm waiting for mine currently, had Vicky in customer service call me last week and verify my FFL of choice (NY appears to be the only state in the union that they can't ship to your door) so at least I know my order has made it to her desk, I figure another month before I see my rifle. I'm chomping at the bit to get out and shoot it, whish it would hurry up and get here already.

Stu
Old March 20, 2013, 10:43 PM   #13
sprouticus

I have been reading trough the forms on the CMP web site for quite a while.
Before everything got crazy the consensus was that there was about two years worth of M1’s left.

There is a backlog now because the CMP has only have so many rifles ready to be shipped out (and lots of orders coming in).
They still have many crates of rifles that need to be sorted and graded, before they can sell them.

Now the supply may increase again if more rifles back from the countries that were involved in the MAP’s program. Most have already sent them back, but every once in a while some more will turn up.
(There is a rumor that Turkey may be ending back some rifles.)

These rifles are technically still U.S. property so when they come back they are sent to the army (no import marks) and then they make their way eventually to the CMP.

Quote:
one thing they do do is remove all the proofs and cartouches from the stock... that's a real bummer for collectors.
The CMP does not remove any cartoches, they often will use new CMP stocks because the orginals are in just too bad of shape to be sold with the rilfe.
Old March 20, 2013, 10:51 PM   #14
tahunua001

my service grade that I just received had all of the cartouches and proofs gouged out with a circular impliment...
Old March 20, 2013, 11:05 PM   #15
sprouticus

Many of the rifles they are sorting through right now came back from Greece.

The carving in your stock was most likely done by a Greek soldier or the Greek government.

That is why quite a few rifles come with a new CMP stock set.
Old March 20, 2013, 11:17 PM   #16
ChrisTx

I don't know if you can still do it, but when I ordered mine about 8 years ago, I requested a WWII serial number. Mine is dated March 1944. The only thing guaranteed to match is the receiver. Most all of these rifles have been rebuilt at one point or another. Mine was a field grade in really good shape for $425 to my door. They will continue to go up in value.
Old March 20, 2013, 11:33 PM   #17
tahunua001

nope, now you can select what grade and manufacturer. I asked for springfield service and got an august 44 receiver and all the parts appear correct except the barrel which is a 52 springfield.

now they are down to H&Rs unless you get a 308 or special grade with new stock and barrel... no more wartime springfields for the time being I'm afraid.
Old March 20, 2013, 11:35 PM   #18
medalguy

I received a very nice service grade Springfield Armory M1 this very morning. I ordered it in mid December, cost $625. I unpacked it and was very pleasantly surprised at how good it looked. Throat erosion was 1.0, muzzle 2.5 and it should make a great shooter.

My rifle had been arsenal furbed, as have nearly all of them, and had a proof mark on the grip, but no inspector stamps. OK by me.
Old March 20, 2013, 11:36 PM   #19
sprouticus

Lots of people will put a "sticky note" on their order forms requesting a WWII serial number or a USGI walnut stock, etc.

When the employees are filling the orders they will have a few boxes of the various grades of rifles in front of them.

If they happen to see something that matches your request they will usually pluck it from the pile and send it your way.
Old March 21, 2013, 11:06 AM   #20
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is my understanding that the seven-round limit on semi-autos imposed by NY state was specifically to impose a ban on sale of M1 rifles in that state. And part of the earlier Feinstein AWB would have closed CMP and required that all government surplus arms, ammunition, and accessories be completely destroyed.

AFAIK that did not get into the actual bill, but I am pretty sure it is not dead, as destroying surplus military and police weapons is part of the UN arms control treaty that the president and the attorney general support.

Jim
Old March 22, 2013, 09:28 PM   #21
stu925

Quote:
It is my understanding that the seven-round limit on semi-autos imposed by NY state was specifically to impose a ban on sale of M1 rifles in that state. And part of the earlier Feinstein AWB would have closed CMP and required that all government surplus arms, ammunition, and accessories be completely destroyed.

AFAIK that did not get into the actual bill, but I am pretty sure it is not dead, as destroying surplus military and police weapons is part of the UN arms control treaty that the president and the attorney general support.

Jim
I doubt that's the case. Probably more to do away with semi-autos not covered by the ban with 10 round magazine. The magazine ban doesn't go into effect until next year anyway so anything ordered between now and next January may be kept. In addition, any feeding device 50 years old or older is exempt from the magazine ban under the C&R clause of the SAFE Act. Doesn't much matter King Andrew (Gov. Cuomo) is now saying that they are going to amend the law to allow magazines up to 10 rounds but you won't be able to put more than 7 rounds in them. Looks like he's scared of the federal lawsuits.

Stu
Old March 22, 2013, 11:33 PM   #22
Marquezj16

I sure hope they still have some in stock at the Anniston Store come September-October time frame. that's when I will get a chance to visit the store and buy one.
Old March 24, 2013, 10:43 AM   #23
lmccrock

Quote:
seriously what percentage of US service rifles have importer marks?
I have 2 M1 rifles, 1 03A3, and 1 GI M1 carbine. 1 M1 rifle and the carbine are re-imports, at least they are stamped so. So, in my safe, 50% have import marks. The rifle was probably from Korea, which was not "loaned" rifles so they were not returned and sold thru CMP. Korea sold them commercially.

If you are thinking about buying one, get in the queue now, do not wait for them to open up the retail stores again. While some turn up at clubs or overseas, there are no warehouses full of rifles anywhere other than CMP; when they are gone, that's it.

You do not have to shoot a highpower or NRA match; any shooting activity qualifies. There is a form you can get from CMP (or the website) that lists the requirements.
Old March 25, 2013, 11:39 AM   #24
NWPilgrim

The premium charged by shops re-selling Garands is (besides profit) that you get it today and you can inspect it in person before purchase. Unless you live near, or travel to, one of the CMP stores you get whatever they send you. They do check to make sure it is a decent functioning rifle and safe. My first Service Grade Garand from CMP was pretty average all around and was well worth the money. My second SG was more on the beater side. My third SG I picked out at the Camp Perry store and it is close to pristine.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 25, 2013, 11:50 AM   #25
Dr Big Bird PhD

Do CMP M1 Garands conflict with California law at all?

I've been planning on investing in one more rifle before the 2014 Long Gun registration goes into effect and the low prices on a 30-06 SA piqued my interest.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor