The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 28, 2012, 09:02 PM   #1
ndking1126

DBM and new stock.. easy question

I recently got my first rifle with a DBM. It's a Savage 111 in 270 (bought it used and got a great deal on it!!).

If I want to buy a replacement stock specifically, I would just take my DBM and frame (?) and put it directly into the new stock? I shouldn't (in theory) have to do any modification or a buy a specific part to replace the DBM?

Right now I'm looking at the Hogue Overmold stock with full length aluminum block, but just want to make sure I understand how it typically works with dbm stocks.

Thanks!
Old December 29, 2012, 06:20 AM   #2
bacardisteve

You wont have to replace bottom metal if u order the correct stock. Just double check as savage has diffrennt action screw spacing on many of its rifles and the trigger guards are diffrent for accutrigger and standard trigger.
Old December 29, 2012, 11:05 AM   #3
jmr40

The problem is that very few, if any, offer the correct stock for a DBM. I have no idea if you can make this work or not short of ordering one of the high end custom stocks. Almost all of the mid level or budget stocks are made for a floorplate and I don't know if you can find a way to make them work with what you have. I'd give Hogue a call and describe what you have. I'd also look at B&C stocks. I like them FAR, FAR, better anyway and they are about the same price.
Old December 29, 2012, 11:16 AM   #4
ndking1126

Thanks for the replies. I have a B&C stock on my short action. I did the measuring the screws and all that. I love that stock and wouldn't have a problem with another. The long action screw length should all be the same, but I'll have to check into the trigger guard issue, as this was a non-accutrigger.

I know the Hogues get a bad wrap (especially online), but I've shot them and I do like them. I think they are comfortable to hold and shoulder. I also had Hogue grips on an old Ruger P89 9mm that I loved. So we'll see.
Old December 29, 2012, 11:32 AM   #5
jmr40

The Hogue stocks shoot as well as any other. But I have 2 issues with them on a centerfire. #1, they weigh 3lbs with the full bedding block vs 1 3/4 -2 lbs for the B&C vs well under 1.5 lbs for my McMillans. On a target gun that is only carried from the car to the shooting bench they are OK. No way I'm lugging that around in the mountains hunting. They are just too fat and chunky for my tastes as well.

I do have a couple of Hogues on Ruger 10-22's. They are not as heavy in this version, and the Rugers can benefit from a litttle extra weight. If you're only concerned about accuracy they are fine.
Old December 29, 2012, 06:51 PM   #6
ndking1126

jmr40, that's awesome feedback. I haven't held one with the full bedding block so that's definitely something to consider since this will be my primary hunting rifle. I'm in the Army and move periodically, so its hard to know what type of hunting I will be doing.