The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 13, 2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Cosmodragoon

Cleaning... There has got to be a better way!

Alright. I'm normally a pretty civilized guy. This marks my first angry post. I have a bunch of revolvers and I enjoy shooting each and every one. Today, I did something unusual and shot three of them. It was a blast. Then I got home...

I set out on the porch to clean them. I had to clean a total of 3 barrels and 20 chambers. The mosquitoes really started to gorge themselves on me but I didn't want to leave them dirty overnight. As it got worse, I started to hustle. Every patch just kept coming back so dirty, I had to remember not to skip anything, and I was being eaten alive. Just as I got to my cheap-O 7-shot .32, I noticed that the barrel had worked itself a little loose. I just about lost it!

Of course, that loosening barrel isn't the issue here. (I think the body of that old Arminius is zinc or something.) What I do need is to find a better way to clean wheel guns. I own a Dremel but I've read warnings against using them here. I got to thinking though... If you attached a soft patch or even a bronze brush to a rotary bit, could it really damage steel? I mean, that same steel takes long bouts of vigorous scrubbing with elbow grease without any apparent damage. The Dremel can't scrub any harder than I do. It's just faster. I imagine that it could cut time down by more than half. So, what's the risk?

Beyond that question, do any of you experienced shooters have tricks and methods that make life easy?
Old July 13, 2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Super Sneaky Steve

I actually leave a little dirt in there.

I do the copper brush, then a patch with Hoppes #9, then about two more patches with Rem Oil. If it's not clean by then it stays how it is.

That will get 98% of the stuff out.

Or you could get this.
http://youtu.be/gjUrrXHUOAk
Old July 13, 2013, 09:51 PM   #3
SgtLumpy

As soon as I'm done shooting at the range, guns still warm, I put a patch heavy with CLP through the barrels and cylinders.

Later, after lunch, getting home, doing whatever, I then run a couple of patches through everything. I don't do it till the patches come out white. They're still a little dirty.

I rarely use a bore brush.

I don't do much to clean the face of the cylinder. Usually just wipe them with a rag, sometimes a little toothbrush action. But I don't try and get that spotless.

I nearly always shoot ball or at least something partially jacketed. I try not to shoot round nose lead or wad cutters. If I do find myself going shooting with a lot of lead nose bullets (like sometimes with my 22s) I might run a patch of CLP through things the night before the range day.

I don't try and get them sterile clean. Just stay very lightly lubed.

I shoot at least 4 guns twice a week, at least 50 rounds per gun. I don't think I spend more than 5 minutes per gun cleaning them. I sometimes just do the heavy CLP after the range and then swab it out 2-3 days later just before going to the range again.

I compare cleaning and lubing a gun to the same thing in an internal combustion engine. We could never get all the dirty motor oil out of an engine. We replace most of it, drive it, then do it again a few months later. Guns aren't subject to anything near the stress of an engine.

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 13, 2013, 10:43 PM   #4
Farmland

I just cleaned two tonight. Really wasn't that big of an issue watching the Bucs beat the Mets while cleaning both of them. I love stainless steel. It takes me about 15 mins per gun and I shoot a lot of lead out of the 38 and jacketed out of the 357.

When I thought about it, I take a little longer to clean my semi autos. I just use less patches on them than I do the revolvers.

The nice thing about stainless is that if I get the barrels and chambers cleaned out I can wipe the other parts without doing a 100% cleaning each time I shoot.

The real pains are my black powder revolvers there are no short cuts when cleaning them.
Old July 13, 2013, 11:14 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

Quote:
The mosquitoes really started to gorge themselves on me but I didn't want to leave them dirty overnight
Don't be so worried about leaving them over night, or for several days for that matter. Unless you were shooting corrosive ammo your guns aren't going to deteriorate to a pile of rusted metal in hours, days, weeks, or months if they aren't cleaned imediatly.
When I go to the range I usually have 6-10 or more guns. Revolvers, semi-auto handgun, rifles of all sorts. Anything that I fired surplus ammo in gets cleaned imediatly on my return. Weather or not the seller claims "non-corrosive". Everything else gets cleaned when I get to It. Wiped down with a silicon cloth to prevent rust from fingerprints, but not cleaned if I don't have time.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 13, 2013, 11:29 PM   #6
stephen426

Ever heard of OFF or citronella candles? I live in Miami near a mangrove "swamp" and there is no way I would hang around outside without insect repellent.
Old July 14, 2013, 02:03 AM   #7
TennJed

Does anyone here use a ultrasonic cleaner for their Single Action cylinders. I was thinking since you can remove the cylinder it might be a good quick way to clean them
Old July 14, 2013, 06:00 AM   #8
CajunBass

You clean a gun until the patches come out white? Where do you live? Paris Island?

I'll run run a patch or two with some kind of solvent through them, then a couple of dry patches, wipe the exterior off and good night Irene. I might use a brush if I see any leading, but I don't see that often.

Five minutes...Ten tops.

To your specific question. I've used a drill motor on a badly fouled shotgun I bought and it didn't hurt anything, but I've never used it on a rifle/handgun.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; July 14, 2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old July 14, 2013, 07:53 AM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Allowing a gun to stay dirty over night won't hurt it. Hoppes, patches and a bronze brush (i rarely have to actually use the brush) will get your gun clean and it shouldn't take hours to achieve.

As mentioned, they don't have to be sterile to be considered clean. Rather than gong for sterile, go for clean and then makes sure they are lubricated and oiled.

I would not use a Drimel tool. Even though the patches or whatever you might use are softer than steel, the shaft on the Drimel isn't. I just it as setting yourself up to damage your gun. Cleaning with just a patch and brush should really take more than 20 minutes so I just don't see that it is worth it.
Old July 14, 2013, 08:04 AM   #10
oldgunsmith

I'd find a solvent that either smells bad enough to drive the mosquitos away or good enough to do it in the house.
Old July 14, 2013, 08:28 AM   #11
Grizz12

I started using frog lube and everything is cleaning up much easier
Old July 14, 2013, 08:50 AM   #12
buckhorn_cortez

1. Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus.

2. Shooter's Choice + 10% Kroil or Gunzilla.

3. Don't worry about leaving your guns dirty - the fouling isn't going anywhere, and unless you've used ammunition with corrosive primers - there's no need to clean them immediately after use.

My wife shoots action pistol as a hobby - I get to clean the equipment. I clean her gun about every 1,000 rounds (once a month), doesn't seem to impair either the function or gun longevity.

I have some guns that don't get cleaned for weeks after use. I understand wanting to have clean equipment, but I often shoot 10 or more guns on one range trip -they'll just get dirty the next trip to the range - so, they stay wiped down, but I'm not going to go through all of them every time they get used.

I've been doing this for 40 or more years and have guns that look new with lots of use and 10's of thousands of rounds. If it makes you feel better - go for it....but, it's really not necessary.
Old July 14, 2013, 09:19 AM   #13
rob-c

I just mixed up a gun cleaner called EDS RED the author of gun digests book of the revolver swears by it and it has been recommended by the NRA.
MIX ALL INGREDIANTS EQUAL
dexron 2,2e or 3 automatic transmission fluid
kerosene
mineral spirits
acetone
I mixed up 1 cup of each in a empty acetone can
I have used this twice in my black hawk and I can tell you I run a soaked mop down the barrel and let it sit and after a few swabs I can get a clean white patch in the end...
Old July 14, 2013, 09:28 AM   #14
pete2

I usually shoot 2 or 3 guns when I go to the range, I don't clean them every time I go. I clean at approx 200 or so rounds. I do wipe off the blued guns every time they are handled. I have used a drill and brush to clean the chambers in revolvers. I use a batt. powered drill at very slow speed. I use a brush wrapped with chore boy to wipe the lead out if there is any. The usual patches and solvent.
Old July 14, 2013, 10:20 AM   #15
feets

I don't clean the guns every time. Most of the time I will go after them with bore brushes and patches. The cleaners I use are the S&W bore gel and #9.
When it comes to my stainless guns I'll break out the Lead Away cloth. Squares slightly smaller than the patches are cut out of the cloth. I push them through the bore with a tight jag. It strips away the lead very well.
The stainless cylinders get a quick wipe down with the Lead Away cloth. It will strip the scorch marks off rather quickly. A quick search turned up another post about it on TFL.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...9&postcount=21

Keep Lead Away cloths away from your blued guns. It will strip the finish.

After opening the package I wrap up the unused cloth and seal it in a zip lock baggie so it doesn't dry out.

I've wondered about using the hot tanks for cleaning guns. My concern is getting the water out of the gun afterwards. I don't want rust forming inside. Complete disassembly of my guns after each range trip seems a bit excessive as well.
Old July 14, 2013, 10:23 AM   #16
Bob Wright

I have a short section of a brass cleaning rod with no handle. Chuck it in an electric drill with either patches or brush and give a few spins. This for the chambers only.

Bob Wright
Old July 14, 2013, 10:53 AM   #17
rclark

Now that I have been shooting a lot more over the last few years, I don't clean as often either. Sometimes I'll go several range sessions without cleaning. I also don't clean barrel until patch comes out perfectly white. Usually the Hoppes #9 is run through it on a patch, then a couple of dry patches. Done. Looking with a bore light and see 'significant' leading I'll run a chore-boy brush through it and another dry patch. done. Of course clean the outside as well but that goes pretty fast too.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old July 14, 2013, 11:45 AM   #18
newfrontier45

Quote:
Beyond that question, do any of you experienced shooters have tricks and methods that make life easy?
Yeah, I don't do it. It is entirely unnecessary to completely clean any gun every time you shoot it. Some people are convinced it is but have never tried it any other way. This ain't the military and they have their own reasons for their practices. The more guns you own and the more you shoot, you'll find that stringent cleaning regimens are unnecessary. I clean my bores when they are leaded, which is rare. I clean my chambers every few hundred rounds. Other than that, I simply wipe my guns off with a rag dampened with CLP after shooting. I lubricate necessary parts when needed.

Obviously the rules are different for corrosive primers and blackpowder.
Old July 14, 2013, 02:35 PM   #19
Northrider

Here's another way: train your offspring really well on how to do the cleaning, take them shooting with you and let them have the fun of cleaning. It is how they can "pay" for the ammo. Plus you get the fun of spending time with them.
Worked for my step father and for me. Now she shoots better than I do.
Old July 14, 2013, 07:44 PM   #20
Homerboy

I've never been to Parris Island, but my guns look like they have. I spend about 30 minutes on each revolver. Saturated wet patches through the bore and chambers. Let sit for 15 minutes. Chuck a cleaning rod to a drill and do about 10 seconds with a soaked brush on low on each chamber, NOT the bore.. Follow with one wet patch per chamber to clean it out, then one more wet patch followed by one dry. Bore gets about 20 passes with a soaked brush followed by 2 wet patches then one dry. Front of cylinder gets a Lead Away Cloth, and the whole gun gets a tootbrushing of Hoppes #9, followed by a drop or two of oil in the right places.

To me, guns don't FEEL clean unless they smell like Hoppes. My 30 year old revolvers look new. Tell me I'm doing something wrong!

Last edited by Homerboy; July 14, 2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old July 14, 2013, 08:00 PM   #21
4runnerman

Sun don't set on a dirty gun. That being said,I clean as soon as I get home. It's part of shooting. I clean till patch is white going in and coming out. I agree with most- It does not need to be that clean,but different strokes for different folks I guess. Most of my rigs are bench rifles and I really like to keep them clean.
Old July 14, 2013, 08:10 PM   #22
GP100man

Old brush & some copper pot scrubber (make sure it is`nt copper coated steel) wrapped around an old brush .

Soak the barrel & bore with ya favorite solvent .

Now let the solvent do some work ,let em soak for 5-10 min.

Wet the scubber & push it thru the bore & chambers, 3-4 passes & it`s over !

Old July 14, 2013, 09:03 PM   #23
Cosmodragoon

Point taken about the repellant. For whatever reason, I haven't found myself out past the sun much this summer. I have noticed though that this is the worst mosquito season Vermont has seen in years.

I never thought about using a sonicator to clean guns because, as another poster noted, they involve a full water bath. That said, they sure clean the heck out of glassware and metal lab tools. It's the nooks and crannies in firearms where I don't want to see water accumulating and you certainly don't want most grips going in there. I know water can be driven out with solvent but now we've got extra steps. Do any of you use one of these?

It's nice to see that others were raised to never let the sun set on a dirty gun. It will feel like nails on a chalkboard to let a gun stay dirty but I may try just a quick rub down next time I only pass a box or two. I'm especially thinking that for the Arminius, where a little carbon crud might help hold it together.
Old July 15, 2013, 02:12 AM   #24
mellow_c

Cosmodragoon, I just thought I'd let ya know that I read your original post, and I really feel for you. I could see myself in such a situation, trying to get 3 guns clean while being eaten up by mosquitos, only to find a loose barrel on the last one. I'm sure that would get to me!

I wish I had an answer for you about a better way to clean. I do it about the same as you, and I try to get them clean enough that there are no more dirty patches coming out, even after running a brass brush through.

The only suggestion I have is... if you haven't shot it much, just get it clean enough. Then every other time, or after firing a lot of rounds, go ahead and clean it like you were going to put it away for a few years... just don't do it every time.

Also, never, ever, ever, take more than 2 guns shooting at any one time... I made that decision a few years ago, and I'm very glad that I've stuck to it.

I'll admit that for years I've cleaned each gun after each shooting session as if I were never going to shoot it again and was sending it off to a museum. As many others have said, that's really not necessary. But neither is changing your underwear every day, but I still do it.

Seriously though, as I get older, I find myself taking short cuts with my cleaning. Sometimes I'll plan to shoot the gun again soon, and only spend a couple min freshening it up for the next range session. Or with some of my less expensive/ higher use/ not disassembly friendly guns, I will clean them well enough with out taking them all the way down, and then after 1000 rounds or so I'll go through the whole gun so it's spick and span again. The Ruger 10/22 is a good example. I'm not going to disassemble the whole gun just to get up above the bolt on that thing after only a couple hundred rounds, when instead I can just lock the bolt back, clean inside the receiver real well with a bunch of Q-tips, clean out the barrel, wipe the gun down, and call it good.

I'd say the same for revolvers, if your going to shoot it a lot, just get it clean enough so you feel like it's running well and wont form any rust between shootings, then after going through that rotation a few times, give it a good cleaning.

Some of my nicer stuff I like to clean up perfectly every time. I also do the same with sentimental firearms that I've gotten from family, or ones that I know I wont shoot again for a real long time.

Anyway, good luck, and if you would prefer to clean your guns inside (outside is nice because you don't have to worry about the mess so much) I'd go with Slip 2000... just do a search on the net about it. It's an amazing CLP that does everything right in my opinion.

Last edited by mellow_c; July 15, 2013 at 02:42 AM.
Old July 16, 2013, 08:25 PM   #25
GP100man

THERMA-CELL !!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEzyuZSbzak

Tags
cleaning