The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 16, 2013, 10:41 PM   #1
willhud

Local Gun Show Trip

My wife and I went to the Plant City Gun Show where we live in Florida. Man, that place was packed. And after going to gun shows for the last 6 months or so, I saw something I have never seen. Shoot Straight, one of the largest Gun stores in the state, had multiple tables with nothing on them. They actually had signs, that said due to recent high demand due to "You know Who", we do not have enough product to fill up all of the tables we had signed up for. That was worth the price of admission.
Old February 17, 2013, 01:02 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

I went to a local show and the biggest table was selling Egyptian Cotton Sheets.

That says it all.
Old February 17, 2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Pahoo

This too will pass !!!

Our local Iowa Gun shows, are showing a lot of people and more than average, empty tables. Overall, Guns Shows are raking in the bucks. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 17, 2013, 07:27 PM   #4
UtopiaTexasG19

Hmmmmm. How does one rake in the bucks when they have nothing to sell?
Old February 17, 2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Pahoo

The price aint right !!!

Quote:
I recall a story about a blind man selling pencils, on a street corner. A lady stopped and asked; How much for a pencil??
The blind man replied; $1,000.00 dollar. ...

As the lady walked away, she heard the blind man say; If I could only sell one pencil !!! ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 17, 2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Joe_Pike

Quote:
Well, at $10.00+ a head to get in, the people that put on the show are making money even if there isn't anything to buy.
Old February 18, 2013, 07:51 PM   #7
Toolman

Rake in the bucks at gun shows? That's easy, It's called 'price of admission'. People are playing into their hands, they don't know what 's in the show until they pay to get in, thinking they might get a good deal.
Then you have the crooks that buy product at LGS and sell them at gunshows for 3X the price. I have seen it. I have left a gun show, stopped at a LGS and seen the same dealers at the gun show buying product & taking it back to the gunshow, marking it up 2-3X and selling it.
I will not attend another gun show until the shelves at my LGS have filled back up & the playing field has leveled.
Old February 18, 2013, 08:14 PM   #8
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman
Then you have the crooks ingenious entrepreneurs that buy product at LGS and sell them at gunshows for 3X the price. I have seen it. I have left a gun show, stopped at a LGS and seen the same dealers smart folks at the gun show buying product for less than the going market rate & taking it back to the gunshow, marking it up 2-3X and selling it.
Fixed it for ya.

Sounds like your LGS needs to set up his/her own table and raise prices 2X-3X to match the going market rate. It's called good business. Nothing crooked here.
Old February 21, 2013, 08:32 AM   #9
steve666

On the opening day of our last big show here in Indianapolis (1/18 - 1/20) the local news reported that people were waiting in line for over 4 hours before getting in.