The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 4, 2009, 05:56 AM   #26
DainBramage

Great looking Mossberg! I have one similar I got for a song and a dance. My dad and I stripped it and refurbished it and painted it with some hammered krylon. I have the piccatinny foregrip with a light mounted, and a red/green dot scope for quick target acquisition. Unfortunately, mine is an old bird gun with the vented barrel. I will replace the barrel and tube eventually so I can put one of those intimidating heat shields on it. I have a video of it, but not sure how to post it.

Great looking 12 guage. Good job.
Old October 9, 2009, 08:03 PM   #27
12GaugeLosAngeles

Nice freaking shells, they just look like you mean business... can't go wrong with the ghost ring sight... so rare and so mysterious. welcome to the zombie killer club...
Old October 10, 2009, 08:18 PM   #28
gglass

Range Day Update:

I finally had a chance to take my newly modded Mossy 500A to the outdoor range. Along with my son and most of the firearms we own, I had a chance to zero in the Ghost Rings sights at 50-yards. It took around 7 to 10 rounds to finally get the elevation and windage set, but the end result was astounding. I was amazed that a smooth bore shotgun could consistently hit POA/POI bullseye shots at 50-yards using rifled slugs. This is child's play with any rifled barrel, but I just didn't expect the smooth-bore to achieve this kind of consistent accuracy.

Great day, great fun!
Old October 16, 2009, 05:15 PM   #29
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

g, you have more pleasant surprises pending. Run a few cases of slugs through that thing over the next year, and note that what you put that front sight on is rendered historical PDQ.

Once you're comfortable shooting your shotgun, fun and games await.

Frequent use begets proficiency. Nothing else does.

Enjoy....
Old October 16, 2009, 05:34 PM   #30
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

While I know the bennies of using GR sights for distance shooting... I have never tried them on a shot gun. I agree with Dave McC about using sights for "blob slugs". I do use my receiver flat top and front bead to send slugs down range to verify I still have what it takes to put down a deer at 65 yards. I might even group them a bit better with the GR setup but you have to keep in mind I only shoot 15 to 30 slugs per year with most spent in random shooting practice sessions to stay fresh enuff for hunting.

The second reason to practice with slugs is to keep your HD buck shot skills sharp in relationship to POA/POI.

May I suggest you find a guy with a similar gun as yours with single bead or no bead at all to use. You will be amazed at the advances to your "habitual skill" developed by pushing your own abilities...
Brent
Old October 16, 2009, 07:38 PM   #31
gglass

Thanks for the advise guys.

At the ripe young age of 46, I have been around shotguns for many years. Of my current stable of 3 shotguns, this one was a simply a fun project. I have to keep up with my 25 and 20-year old sons of course.

My skills with pointing a shotgun as a means of aiming go back to my first shotgun at the age of twelve. The purpose of a project gun like this was to create a fun shotgun for the local range and a bedside home defense shotgun. With or without the Ghost Ring sights, I feel confident in my ability to point this shotgun the same as any other. My real surprise with the Ghost Ring sights is that even with a smooth bore barrel, this shotgun is able to make a single hole at POA at 50-yards... I have never been quite able do that with a bead sight at any age.

P.S. My boys are jealous of this shotgun. Isn't that really the goal?
Old October 17, 2009, 07:17 PM   #32
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Maybe one goal, G.

The first GR sight I saw was when I was a teen, lo these many years gone.

It was a Lyman peep with the aperture removed, fixed on a obsolete Model 81 or 81 Remington autoloader in IIRC, 35 Remington. The owner had a long history of one shot kills with the thing.

My oldest 870 has worn one since about 1980, and it also is a Lyman peep sans disc. It keeps KO Brenekkes in about 4" at 100 yards from the bench even though they're keyholing slightly. Go figure.

That's from a 18",chokeless smoothbore barrel.

My bet's more familiarity with the system will see you tighten those groups even further.

Have fun....