The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 25, 2010, 10:22 AM   #51
BlueTrain

Given all the threads about dogs, dangerous or otherwise, on this forum, I'm not sure that is a particularly useful comparison. Some folks carry guns specifically because they're deathly afraid of dogs, and no doubt some will claim they will be carrying a gun when they visit parks because of all the feral dogs running around.
Buy War Bonds.
Old February 25, 2010, 10:29 AM   #52
NavyLT

But you do bring up a good point, alloy. What if someone was afraid of Toyota's because of, well, the thing with Toyota's right now. Would we be willing to say, well, OK, my Toyota "terrifies" you so I will keep my Toyota in the garage...

It is another pet peeve of mine when some supportors of the RKBA turn around and say we should hide our guns and carry them concealed out of consideration for those that don't like them. The fact is that no matter what we do, no matter what concessions and compromises we make, the fact is there are those people who just don't want me or anyone else to carry a gun, period. Hiding our guns away from them is not going to change that.

And by hiding our guns away we are losing opportunities to show the fence sitters, the undecided, those people that are still reachable, that is just perfectly normal and acceptable for an American to have the means available to themselves to protect themselves from violent crimes. I hear the argument that open carry "shoves it in peoples' faces." Well, the anti-s are shoving their propaganda in peoples faces. How is hiding our guns away from exposure to anybody and everybody going to do anything to counter the anti-s "in your face" efforts?

For the record, I have never shoved a gun in anyone's face. I have simply worn it in a holster on my belt.

Last edited by NavyLT; February 25, 2010 at 02:23 PM.