The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2005, 11:55 PM   #1
karpins

Resize Live .223 Ammo

I have 700 rounds of Olympic ammo with the neck diameter oversize by about .005.
Is it possible for me to resize these ?

I have a Lee Loadmaster Press and a Lee single station Classic press too.

Please help, I am new to reloading.

You help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old March 14, 2005, 09:42 AM   #2
Jbar4Ranch

Please explain the problem in more detail.

If the ammo won't chamber because of being .005" oversize, and yet the bullet is gripped tightly in the neck, then your brass needs to be neck reamed. Trying to swage the bullet/case neck down .005" isn't the answer.

SASS 47015
Old March 14, 2005, 09:46 AM   #3
MADISON

Resizing live 223 ammo.?

I am not sure you can sucessfully get the job dun. Try this and see if it solves the problem:
[1] Remove the decapping stim from your sizing die.
[2] Re-adjust the die until it sizes the neck "litely".
[3] If this works, you have rounds that need to be CRIMPED.
The #2 process is "taper crimping".

Last edited by MADISON; March 14, 2005 at 09:48 AM. Reason: To add more infoormation
Old March 14, 2005, 09:55 AM   #4
karpins

The Olympic ammo that I purchased has a neck size that is .005 larger than it should be.
The rounds often jam in my Bushmaster AR while chambering.
I have been using the cheap Wolf ammo now and have not experienced a single jam but I still have about 700 rounds of the Olympic ammo that I cant use. I was hoping that I might be able to size (swage) the necks, perhaps with something like a Lee crimp die ?
I checked the Olympic ammo in a Frankford Arsenal gauge block and not a single round fit.
After checking the dimensions of the ammo, I found that the neck size was typically .005 oversize.
Old March 14, 2005, 09:56 AM   #5
Mal H
Staff

I think you're going to end up with a severely jammed case in your press if you try to resize a case with a bullet already seated in it.

The solution - sell the rounds to someone who has a chamber/throat reamed for the Olympic ammo and go buy the correct ammo.
Old March 14, 2005, 09:59 AM   #6
Jbar4Ranch

A Lee crimp die might work, but attempting to resize loaded ammo in a standard resizing die is going to result in a stuck case. When a case is resized, the neck is squeezed down slightly smaller than the bullet diameter so that when a bullet is seated, it is gripped tightly by the neck. After the bullet is seated, the case neck is now expanded slightly larger than the sizer die. A loaded round can probably be forced into the die, but it will then become a more or less permanent part of the die.

SASS 47015
Old March 14, 2005, 11:37 AM   #7
Poygan

Assuming the bullet fits tightly in the neck, aren't you going to have to size the bullet down as well? Conceivably the round could chamber but the bullet would be undersized. Personally, I like the idea of selling the entire lot to someone who have a sufficiently generous chamber to use this ammo. Otherwise, you have a lot of work ahead of you with doubtful results. I don't think the Lee crimp die would solve your problem.
Old March 14, 2005, 12:31 PM   #8
bikenjam

i tried a box of olympic 223 ammo in my AR-15 with the same problem. I just got sick of it and never touched it again. Luckly it was only 10 bucks for the ammo, but i'd never use that brand again. If i were you i might just try and sell it.

Remington UMC and Winchester USA ammo both work very good and are pretty darn accurate for a FMJ at budget price
Old March 15, 2005, 05:18 AM   #9
klgreene

resizing live ammo???

If I understand you correctly.......Resizing live ammo...If it is possible...May cause some extremely excessive pressures. Was this ammo fire formed for another firearm, and neck sized only? If so it probably would give you problems chambering. It may be that the shoulder just needs to be bumped a bit. I would suggest pulling the bullets, disposing of the powder (unless you're positive of the age and type), FL size one or two of the cases, reload with a charge and pill that you are sure of...and see if you still have the same problem. If so...file 13 the whole lot. Or turn the necks and try again.

There are no "stupid questions"...There are, however... Alot of "inquisitive idiots!"
Old March 16, 2005, 12:38 AM   #10
G56

If you want to resize it you would need to take the ammo down first, instead either use a taper crimp die or the Lee Factory Crimp die, both of those are designed to work on loaded ammunition.

Try that to see if you can salvage that junk ammo, if you can't you will have to mark it up to lessons learned the hard way, Olympic ammo is JUNK!