The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 3, 2013, 08:11 AM   #26
stev32k

There are actually two bills. Here are links to the full text of both:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/full...ID=11&Session=

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/full...ID=11&Session=

The ban would not take effect until January 1, 2014 and would not apply to weapons purchased before that date.

Prohibited guns could be sold to an individual in another State, FFL holders, or passed on to relatives after death.

The bills establish some pretty draconian requirements for public gun ranges.

Both bills talk a lot about a "Firearm Owners Identification Card" not sure if that is something new or is a current requirement.

There is no requirement to turn in prohibited guns that were purchased before ban takes effect.
Old January 3, 2013, 08:35 AM   #27
vito

Watching the local news show last night here in Rockford, IL made me almost physically ill. The anchor was almost dancing with glee announcing this almost total gun ban being proposed by the President of the Illinois Senate. Even if it does not pass into law I wish I could sell my home and get out of this horrible state. In truth I sometimes wish I could get out of this country as well, but where would I go? I served in the U.S. Army for 24 years and have been a taxpayer for the last 48 years and this is not the country that it once was, and will likely never be again. If this draconian gun control bill actually becomes law it will be another nail in the coffin of America. I'm sure that Obama and his cronies in Washington are just jumping for joy at what is being proposed in Springfield since he clearly supports any bill that restricts or bans gun ownership. Watch as he tries to get the Senate during this coming year to ratify the anti-gun U.N. treaty that he has stated he admires.
Old January 3, 2013, 08:57 AM   #28
kkb

Quote:
Both bills talk a lot about a "Firearm Owners Identification Card" not sure if that is something new or is a current requirement.
FOID cards are use by several states including IL. They are "permission to purchase firearms" issued by the state, though you still have to go through an NICS when you do purchase.

Welcome to thefiringline ya fooker!

Last edited by kkb; January 3, 2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old January 3, 2013, 09:20 AM   #29
jimbob86

Lemme get this straight.....

Chicago just got their hands spanked in McDaonald v. Chicago ..... so IL is doubling down? Really?
Old January 3, 2013, 09:30 AM   #30
nate45

The antis introduce magazine/assault weapons ban bill every year in IL. None have ever come close to passing, so they decided to make the bill even more draconian. I guess it makes perfect sense, if you're a politician from Chicago.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:12 AM   #31
stev32k

I've often wondered about the practice of issuing a license or permit to own or carry a gun. The Right to keep and bear arms is a Right not a privilege. I don't know of any other Right guaranteed by the constitution that requires a license to exercise that Right.

It seems to me that requiring a license to own or carry a firearm is an infringement on the Right to keep and bear arms. The second amendment seems pretty clear to me, it is not ambiguous, it does not contain any type of exception, or requirement. It just says the Peoples right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Why is that so hard to understand?
Old January 3, 2013, 10:25 AM   #32
BGutzman

The problem is and remains as I see it that places like Chicago seem to not care very much what any court said... They change some super minor thing and re-implement laws that are substantially the same as the ones that get killed by the courts...

They also play the "No One has Standing" game and spin things to the point that they actually try to sell that they are protectors of gun rights... Pathological liars tell more truth than some of these antis, everything they do concerning guns is in bad faith..

Its not that the city of Chicago doesn't know it is in violation of the Bill of Rights and our gun rights under it, its they simply don't care... Short of a enforced injunction, I don't think they will ever quit unless the SAF can sue the city budget out of existence..

Last edited by BGutzman; January 3, 2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old January 3, 2013, 11:16 AM   #33
C Philip

It passed in the committee 6-4, and will be heard today on the Senate floor.

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/st...ringfield.aspx
Old January 3, 2013, 11:28 AM   #34
nate45

...and a State Senator could introduce a bill that would seek to force everyone to move to Mars, I doubt it would pass either though.
Old January 3, 2013, 12:37 PM   #35
jimbob86

Quote:
...and a State Senator could introduce a bill that would seek to force everyone to move to Mars, I doubt it would pass either though.
.....but in normal places, it'd never get out of committee.
Old January 3, 2013, 12:53 PM   #36
Metal god

Do you think the anti's in congress are asking IL to flaot this bill out there to get a feel of how the country feels on this ? They do that from time to time . They need to get an idea how far they can push this whole debate .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 3, 2013, 02:11 PM   #37
17ghk

seems like they are trying to ram this thru before anything can be done. and the old ask for the moon and settle in the middle still stinks. I am pulling for you guys in ILL.
Old January 3, 2013, 02:29 PM   #38
tmorone

News just came out that theyre delaying the vote on that measure for lack of votes. FYSA.
Old January 3, 2013, 04:01 PM   #39
Gary L. Griffiths

Looks Like Good News Tonight!

http://qctimes.com/news/state-and-re...a4bcf887a.html

In spite of the hysteria from Chicago, the Dem's just couldn't "get 'er done!"
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old January 3, 2013, 04:17 PM   #40
Hunterpeaks

Dems pull plug on gun and ammo ban.

Gary beat you to it.

Please read the other posts before you post.

Last edited by Al Norris; January 3, 2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old January 3, 2013, 04:53 PM   #41
nate45

Some politicians get a lot of donations from anti-gun groups. They have to appear to be doing something, for those donors. The sponsors of that bill knew it was going no where and if by some miracle it did go through, the courts would likely strike it down.

Just hang tough Illinois brothers, the clock is ticking, you'll be legally carrying concealed before you know it. Without having to bargain, with people who have nothing to bargain with.
Old January 3, 2013, 08:29 PM   #42
CurlyQ.Howard

FOID has been law since at least 1968, and in many ways it is a good requirement. What irritates me is when criminals who haven't an FOID are not held accountable specifically for this violation of law.
Old January 4, 2013, 04:12 PM   #43
XtremeRevolution

I don't know many people are here in IL, but the fight is far from over.

ftp://12.43.67.2/legislation/97/SB/0...2899ham001.htm

That's the newest piece of legislation. They lost in the Senate, so now they are moving to the House. That amendment contains what the two previous bills did, almost word for word.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index...howtopic=32929

We seriously need to light up the phone lines now.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index...pic=32913&st=0

If you guys need numbers or other information, let me know. Send e-mails, but more importantly make phone calls and fill up their voicemails. We seriously can't let up on this or they will take everything away. If you think this doesn't concern you, you're wrong. I have no doubt in my mind that Illinois is being used as a guinnea pig for what the US Congress will be trying to do.
Old January 4, 2013, 04:26 PM   #44
jimbob86

Quote:
FOID has been law since at least 1968, and in many ways it is a good requirement. What irritates me is when criminals who haven't an FOID are not held accountable specifically for this violation of law.
And how is this different from the glaring lack of prosecutions nationwide, of prohibited persons filling out 4473's? Though they are refused the sale...... why are they not prosecuted?

Further proof to me that the law is there to discourage gun ownership and to make criminals of the law abiding .... why would they charge a criminal with further crimes? They already have them under their thumb ......
Old January 4, 2013, 04:57 PM   #45
ming

Phone calls expressing opposition to "assault weapons" bans can be directed to the guys pulling the strings in Illinois:

Mayor Emanuel: (312) 744-3300
Gov. Quinn: S'field: (217) 782-0244, Chicago: (312) 814-2121
Speaker of the House Madigan: Springfield: (217) 782-5350, Chicago773) 581-8000

I know it won't change minds, but it sure gave me a nice warm feeling to let them know not everyone shares their opinion.
Old January 4, 2013, 04:58 PM   #46
XtremeRevolution

Don't forget guys, this is the time to also call your specific state representatives (for the Illinois state house and the US house) to tell them how you feel about this. The more people we can get, the better. It made a big difference last time and I know it's ammo that the NRA and other groups representing us will definitely need.
Old January 4, 2013, 05:35 PM   #47
Nickel Plated

Quote:
Frankly I see it as a good thing that people aren't being prosecuted for violation of the FOID law. It's an unconstitutional law that shouldn't exist in the first place, much less have people prosecuted for that nonsense.
Old January 6, 2013, 10:16 AM   #48
tmorone

I woke up to this today..

http://www.examiner.com/article/illi...y-gun-ban-vote

Looks like IL just won't stop. The previous bills were introduced into the Senate and got nowhere, so now they put one into the House. FYI to the Illinois guys.
Old January 6, 2013, 10:47 AM   #49
HarrySchell

By any means necessary, the did say...
Old January 6, 2013, 01:30 PM   #50
mack59

If anyone from IL is interested go to IllinoisCarry website and then to the forums - then go into the Illinois Politics forum - there you will find information about the bills and contact information as well as links to filing witness slips to oppose the bills - There are 3 bills

The primary bill is : SB2899

Secondary are two bills that would broaden mental health restrictions to include not only individuals hospitalized but also individuals who visit an outpatient mental health clinic regardless of the reason. Don't see a counselor for family problems or depression or you would lose your rkba under these bills -

HB1237

SB3489

According to the NRA lobbiest on the ground who has worked there for years the issue is in doubt - so phone calls, emails, witness slips are needed.