The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old September 22, 2009, 08:16 AM   #1
Kurbsky

Which DPMS .308 is best as a sniper rifle?

I am trying to figure out which DPMS .308 is best as a sniper rifle that you can actually carry with you (not too heavy). They have several rifles with 18" and 24" barrels. I have read a good accuracy review on 308 B but nothing on other rifles there. I am thinking DPMS because I would like to stay below $1,600 plus I like aluminlium handguards/rails.
Old September 22, 2009, 08:29 AM   #2
johnwilliamson062

Long range target rifle, not sniper. Somebody had to say it.
Old September 22, 2009, 08:38 AM   #3
SR420

Quote:
johnwilliamson062 Long range target rifle, not sniper. Somebody had to say it.
Thank you!
Old September 22, 2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Kurbsky

OK... Long range precision rifle, not really sniper, but I want it to be somewhat tactical - something you can carry with you for hunting, self defence etc. Thanks...
Old September 22, 2009, 10:14 AM   #5
Jimro

How about the LRT-308 SASS, which stands for Semi Automatic Sniper System. http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=19

Sniper isn't a dirty word.

Jimro
Old September 22, 2009, 11:35 AM   #6
lmccrock

Well, hunting, self defense, and long range precision are somewhat at odds. Hard to do all of them. Generally, hunting is better with a lighter rifle. Long range precision will be heavier. Self defense can be heavy, but should be handy (short-ish) with quick sights, which are harder to shoot in a precise manner (irons, EOTech, etc.).

A compromise would be an 18" gun with long-range scope plus a secondary sighting system, mounted at an angle or attached to the main scope.

Lee
Old September 22, 2009, 12:47 PM   #7
Kurbsky

Quote:
A compromise would be an 18" gun with long-range scope plus a secondary sighting system, mounted at an angle or attached to the main scope.
I agree that a compromise is needed here. But what compromise? Is it LR-308 B or LR-308 L? LRT SASS is rather expensive at $2,300 or so.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/category.aspx?id=9

If someone knows some other brand that would do the same as DMPS for a similar price, I would definitely look at it, but I don't think there are any.
Old September 22, 2009, 02:47 PM   #8
beardenbc

Y'know, you can get added options to the rifle. Click the "build this rifle now" button, and you'll see the options available to your dealer.

Just get the plain-jane LR-308, then add the black teflon barrel finish, flutes to lighten and increase cooling on the barrel, and upgrade the trigger. You can also add the carbon fiber handguard and/or skeletonized butt to lighten it up a little more.

Now you've got a highly accurate semiauto rifle with 6" more barrel than their SASS.

A LR-308 with a 24" fluted black teflon barrel, with an ACE stock, carbon fiber tube, and JP trigger will retail about $1600, or add the Magpul PRS and it will retail for a little under $1800. It'll be a bit on the heavy side compared to a SASS, but I'd imagine you'd get a bit more range out of it.
Old September 22, 2009, 03:06 PM   #9
Kurbsky

I would get more range with plain 308 but it's 11.2 lbs vs 7.9 lbs in 308 L.
Plus I don't really plan to shoot beyond 500 yards.
Old September 28, 2009, 10:14 AM   #10
beardenbc

I think the flutes, carbon fiber tube, and ACE buttstock would take the weight down noticeably, but you should get what's right for you.
Old September 28, 2009, 03:11 PM   #11
riggins_83

Quote:
Long range target rifle, not sniper.
+30

The DMPS SASS would be the best of their models though a bolt action rifle will generally beat a semi auto...
Old September 28, 2009, 04:09 PM   #12
Rob96

Quote:
Sniper isn't a dirty word.
Sniper refers to teh trained individual who has earned that distinction. Has nothing to do with the equipment they use.
Old September 28, 2009, 04:33 PM   #13
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Get the Panther LR-AP4, mount it on your tactical wheelbarrow so you can haul around your tactical cooler with your tactical MRE's and Tactical Whiskey. Don't forget the tactical ammo, preferably tactical AP delayed explosive rounds with the heat seeking tips and the self course correcting gyroscope controlled computer in the base of the bullet.

You will need a tactical set of grips for the wheelbarrow handle and tactical boots specifically designed for tactical wheelbarrow users.

You really don't care whether it works or not do you? It just needs to be tactical looking.

Rob was right, people who call precision rifles sniper rifles are fooling themselves into thinking they have something they don't. It's like calling a chrome lined adjustable wrench with a double dipped rubberized grip a mechanic. Tactics is what and how you do something, what you do it with is just tools whether it is clothing or rifles or folding knives.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 28, 2009, 05:13 PM   #14
Evan Thomas

I think the above might be a little harsh... perhaps the OP just hasn't thought out what he really wants this rifle to do. A long range target rifle is one sort of beast, a hunting rifle is another (think weight here), and a rifle that's to be used for self-defense is something else again.

As to self-defense: there is, for a civilian, NO circumstance, short of one of those "scenarios" we're not meant to discuss here, in which there'd be a need for a 1000-yard, or even a 500-yard, shot. A "social" situation had better involve a much shorter range, if you want to have any hope of legal justification for shooting someone. At those very long ranges, "defense" is not the applicable term, as there just isn't an immediate threat from someone that far away.

And at actual self-defense ranges, a carbine, or even a shotgun, would be a better choice than a target rifle. No single tool does everything well.
Old September 28, 2009, 06:35 PM   #15
Kurbsky

I have respect for an old Roman saying "Nihil ex mensurae" - Nothing above measure. So moderation is good even if you really are a "tactical wannabe" like myself (for example, no lights or laser beams on my rifle). That means that scenario than Mr. Old Grup tried to pain for me above certainly does not apply to my persona. But some people like to label other people and it's OK with me if it makes them happy. A lot of people on this forum are asking "What will you do with your gun?" I actually want to do anything I want depending on a situation. I don't want to compete though and that's important to note. I agree that shooting beyond 500 yards nowdays is unrealistic unless you are a dirt poor person somewhere in Alaska who depends on some animals with questionable health record when it comes to a sourse of protein.

As to this thread I am actually having some doubts lately about DPMS quality. Their prices are good but feedback I am reading and personally seeing sometimes on their quality is different - from good to bad, very seldom excellent. It may be a good idea to turn to a different brand for a HIGH QUALITY .308 AR rifle. What do you think?
Old September 28, 2009, 10:17 PM   #16
NWCP

For long range target shooting you might be better off with a good bolt action rifle. Our professional shooters in uniform still use the bolt action rifle for reaching out and touching something. Looking tactical may impress some of the guys at the range, but a good shooting weapon is far more important regardless of all the trappings you can hang off of it. JMHO
Old September 29, 2009, 12:09 AM   #17
mellow_c

I have one

Sort of... I have a DPMS LR-308 AP4... Thats the 16" carbine versoin of what your looking at. I absolutely love mine, very accurate. For your intentions, an 18" would be great. I know the idea of 24" is neat, but unless you really want the extra velocity for looong range shooting, the 18" will be much easier to handle.

I dont remember the numbers, but I read somewhere the difference in velocity of a .308 between a 16 and 18 inch barrel, and I think the 18" won by something like 200 fps.

However, for me. I was looking for something along the lines of a SOCOM 16, more of a shorter "battle" rifle with lots of power, and the ability to still make a good long shot. I ended up with a 3x Trijicon ACOG topping mine, and I couldent be happier. The one other bonus I have with the AP4 is that DPMS specifically chambers it for 7.62x51 NATO, which means it can fire the NATO and .308 rounds just fine. All the other LR-308's are chambered "only for .308" from my understanding. Not a big deal. But good for me since I picked up a few thousand rounds of Lithuanian surplus 7.62x51 a while ago. Great reliable non-corrosive, my gun loves it, and DPMS told me it would not void my warranty, and they confirmed that my Gun was chambered to shoot the 7.62x51 while the other LR-308s are not.
I asked them about someone elses LR-308 who said his was not always ejecting the case, and he was using the same ammo as me... but his was not the AP4. They said it was probably because he was shooting the 7.62 and not the .308.

Anyway, have fun, hope you find one you like
Old September 29, 2009, 01:06 PM   #18
csmsss

ANY rifle chambered in either 7.62x51 NATO or .308 Winchester will chamber, fire and extract either 7.62x51 NATO or .308 Winchester ammunition (loaded at published pressures, of course) successfully. Despite what you may have read either on or off the internet, the two calibers are essentially interchangeable and the small differences between the cartridge casings are of significance only to reloaders. The only difference in the actual chambers is that the 7.62x51 is slightly longer and looser to allow greater ease in extraction for the semi-and fully automatic weapons used by the military.
Old September 29, 2009, 03:08 PM   #19
john in jax

I had one of the 24" stainless fluted bbl LR-308s and it was amazing. I'm not a "good shot" by any stretch of the imagination but that rifle made me looks GOOD! I was able to shoot MOA and sub-MOA groups from day one with 3 different kinds of ammo. You could easily sling and carry that 14+lb rifle set-up anywhere, if that is about all you needed to carry.

I decided I wanted something more portable and went with the 18" LR-308B (fluted 18" bbl).
Old September 29, 2009, 04:14 PM   #20
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Kurbsky, you know you tickle my giggle and I am going to pull on your chain to see what rattles. You asked about what would make a good sniper gun, any accurate rifle will make a good sniper gun, why and who are you going to snipe at. Your question leaves lots of possibilities.

Personally I would get a
Savage 10FCP LE 308 HS PREC STK if I was looking for another long range weapon but I know you aren't a bolt gun guy so my suggestion would be a nice M1A. made by Springfield or TRW but I think you would like this one better.

http://www.unitedarmsonline.com/Phot...m14-rifle.html
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 29, 2009, 07:27 PM   #21
Kurbsky

Thank you Old Grump.
I actually already have an M1A National Match and I am happy the way it is - without any tactical disguises.

When it comes to a tacticool looking sniper rifle I would rather think of this Kel-Tec RFB creation:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...num=4&ct=image
Old September 29, 2009, 07:45 PM   #22
csmsss

Grump, there's an M1A/M14 hidden under all that plastic and 7075?
Old September 29, 2009, 07:54 PM   #23
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmsss
Grump, there's an M1A/M14 hidden under all that plastic and 7075?
I like the cup holder.
Old September 29, 2009, 10:17 PM   #24
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

All it needs is a UHF antenna and a universal remote to be complete.
--Daniel Webster--
Old May 2, 2012, 08:59 AM   #25
GunBugBit

Quote:
Sniper refers to teh trained individual who has earned that distinction. Has nothing to do with the equipment they use.
Oh, you mean trained snipers, the types that get their butts handed to them on Top Shot by Christian camp counselors and IT geeks?