The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 24, 2007, 06:20 AM   #1
Gbro

Hunter falls from stand

Saturdays paper
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/
Had a story about a 62 year old bear hunter in Northern MN (Remer MN) that fell from his stand on last monday evning. He spent 5 nights out there, 2 nights had heavey frost, 3 were rain, and found by his Grandson who came up to hunt with him.

He suffered a Hip Fracture, and a pelvis break. No food or water.
He is in the Duluth Hospital, and doing good.

I am unable to bring this story up on the web, i do have the paper article.

Point to be learned,
Even though this hunter lived alone, he could/ you could call someone to let them know you will be gone hunting and they/you could call back when home. Even if that friend familey member lives across the country.
Nobody missed this hunter in five days.
Old September 24, 2007, 07:48 AM   #2
FirstFreedom

Wow

-That's one tough codger, to survive like that in those temps with injuries, with no food or water. Glad to hear it.

-Always use a harness.

-Always tell someone where you will be hunting, OR have a cell phone with a signal on you - one or the other; preferably both.

-The rain just *might* have saved his bacon - he may have been able to open his mouth and collect some, or get some of nearby ground/leaves/etc.
Old September 24, 2007, 06:33 PM   #3
CamoCop

good reminder. i try not to hunt alone and if i do....someone always knows where i'm hunting.
Old September 24, 2007, 08:21 PM   #4
fisherman66

Quote:
That's one tough codger
Ain't that the truth. Makes me want to take a nip of antifreeze just thinkin about it.
Old September 25, 2007, 07:57 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

http://www.ihea.com/news-and-events/...nt-reports.php

Falls related to tree stands and resulting injuries, both via firearms and not, result in something like 10-30% lethality. Some are simple falls. Some are where hunters get shot or shoot themselves and fall, and others are where huntings fall and shoot themselves when landing.

If you check some of the incidents from previous years, the reporting style varies, but you get a lot of folks doing stupid things with loaded guns. However, a bunch seem to get hurt while in the process of climbing in and out of stands. Factors such as the transition to and from the stands, re-adjusting once in the stands, and falling asleep and falling from the stand seem to be the sorts of non-firearm caused falls that are most common (based on my previous readings of earlier IHEA reports, not all of which are posted on the above site).
Old September 26, 2007, 06:07 AM   #6
Gbro

Here is the story, as i was unable to access it before;

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/art...0&section=None

Remer man survives 20-foot fall from tree stand
Sam Cook Duluth News Tribune
Published Saturday, September 22, 2007

During the long, cold nights, Larry Mackey sang.

He sang because he was afraid to fall asleep and become hypothermic.

He didn’t want to die, lying there on the ground below his bear-hunting stand with a broken hip and a broken pelvis.

"Click on the link for the whole story and the hunters picture"
Old September 30, 2007, 07:32 AM   #7
TheNatureBoy

I'm glad he survived this unfortunate incident, and I hope he will use a harness the next time. A five foot fall from a tree stand was enough to convince me. I agree with other posts that suggest taking a cell phone along with you or letting someone know where you're gonna be hunting.

About 2 years ago a guy was hunting in Williamsburg, Va. His black powder pistol discharged and hit him in the leg. To make a short story even shorter the poor guy blead to death. If I remember correctly his cell phone was in his truck.

He's a tough ole' guy. Hope he recovers, and is able to get back in the woods.
Old September 30, 2007, 07:48 AM   #8
BlackPaladin

The knife lovers' equivalent to this site is www.bladeforums.com, and they have an excellent sub-forum called wilderness and survival that addresses these things.
Old September 30, 2007, 08:57 AM   #9
Kreyzhorse

One of my old hunting partners fell out of tree stand and knocked himself out cold. It was preseason and he was by himself. Had no idea how long he was out but he jacked up his shoulder and broke his finger. Recently met another hunter who dropped his rifle from his stand and the gun went off as it hit a branch on the way down. He was shot in the stomach.

I only hunt from the ground these days but always have a cell and 2 way radio with me.
Old September 30, 2007, 10:39 AM   #10
Huntergirl

What a tough guy. A cell phone would have come in handy. Its not always by choice that one hunts alone. If there's nobody to hunt with, I sure as heck would still go. A harness is a lifesaver.
Old October 8, 2007, 11:25 PM   #11
geezer in NH

A climbing harness and a safety belt would have made this a non-issue. Hunter safety course are not full of crap.