The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 24, 2014, 05:54 PM   #1
pathdoc

.223 load data conflict - Confused!

Looking for a good First Load for my new .223, I turned to Lyman's 49th and Hornady's 9th.

Lyman lists the 36gn Barnes Varmint Grenade as wanting (insert loads here) and a COAL of 2.240 inches. Wow!, I say, comparing data against the Hornady book - that's exactly the same recommended COAL as the 53gn V-max! And there's overlap between the charge weights for the propellants I have! (As listed by Lyman for the VG and Hornady for the V-max.)

Turn to the Barnes book (4th edition) to cross-ref that COAL, and lo and behold they want something like 2.190" for their bullet and they do NOT list the powders I have (IMR3031, Varget) at all. I'm not worried about the powders - if you can't trust Lyman, who can you trust? - but the COAL has me confused. One of these sources MUST be wrong.

I suspect the best way to find out is to go out in the shed and see if the VG is actually long enough to seat to that COAL, but in the meantime can anyone shed light on this? I have a gut feeling that if they WILL seat comfortably to that length (and stay in the case), then the Lyman data were developed with the projectile seated well out to (a) lower pressures and (b) allow maximum loads with some of the slower powders they list.
Old June 24, 2014, 07:12 PM   #2
603Country

First thing I'd do is check what the max COAL would be with that bullet in your rifle. Then I think I'd see what the recommended COAL is of the 40 gr VMax or Nosler BT. That would then give me at least a feel for what's workable and logical, and where to go from there.
Old June 24, 2014, 07:22 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

OAL listed is completely and utterly irrelevent. If it fits and functions in your gun, go with it. OAL listings serve no purpose except to fit in your magazine and stay within SAAMI specifications.

Seat the bullet either so it fits in your magazine, or is a reasonable distance from the rifling to start. In all likelihood, you can't get near the rifling and still have it fit in your magazine.

I wish the books didn't even list OAL. It serves only to confuse the new guys. Nobody else pays any attention to it.

Longer OALs in rifle cartridges actually almost always INCREASE pressure, because the bullet getting closer to the rifling increases pressure more than the larger space for the powder to begin burning reduces it. It's a small difference until you get close to the rifling though.
Old June 25, 2014, 07:14 AM   #4
steve4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pfleuger
OAL listed is completely and utterly irrelevent. If it fits and functions in your gun, go with it. OAL listings serve no purpose except to fit in your magazine and stay within SAAMI specifications.

Seat the bullet either so it fits in your magazine, or is a reasonable distance from the rifling to start. In all likelihood, you can't get near the rifling and still have it fit in your magazine.

I wish the books didn't even list OAL. It serves only to confuse the new guys. Nobody else pays any attention to it.

Longer OALs in rifle cartridges actually almost always INCREASE pressure, because the bullet getting closer to the rifling increases pressure more than the larger space for the powder to begin burning reduces it. It's a small difference until you get close to the rifling though.
There it is right there. Can't explain it better than that. As a Matter of Fact, there should be a "Sticky" on OAL stating the same.

BTW, Nosler #6 does not list OAL tested. On page 42 they instruct the handloader to find the Correct OAL for their rifle.

Here is what Western Powders says.

SPECIAL NOTE ON CARTRIDGE OVERALL LENGTH “COL”
It is important to note that the SAAMI “COL” values are for the firearms and ammunition manufacturers industry and must be seen as a
guideline only.
The individual reloader is free to adjust this dimension to suit their particular firearm-component-weapon combination.
This parameter is determined by various dimensions such as 1) magazine length (space), 2) freebore-lead dimensions of the barrel, 3)
ogive or profile of the projectile and 4) position of cannelure or crimp groove.
Old June 25, 2014, 08:47 AM   #5
603Country

I disagree with Brian on whether or not the listed COAL is completely worthless. A lot of newbies need some length to use, and the indicated max COAL will usually be a good place to start. That's the length I used when I was new to reloading, and then rather quickly I went to loading to length that was appropriate for my rifle chambers. Quite often the COAL shown in the Lyman 49th is useable.

As for what works best for your rifle or rifles, you'll just have to figure that out. Some bullets shoot great when close to the lands. Some don't. And...several times I have found that the COAL for a certain bullet that works best in this or that rifle is just what Lyman shows.

On another shooting forum, there's a very knowledgable guy that says he loads every bullet touching the lands. Maybe that works for him, but I don't have any load for any rifle that's touching the lands. And then I have a couple of rifles with worn barrels where if the bullet was touching the lands, it would not be touching the brass case, so any properly assembled load is going to be far from the lands.
Old June 25, 2014, 12:50 PM   #6
steve4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603Country
I disagree with Brian on whether or not the listed COAL is completely worthless. A lot of newbies need some length to use, and the indicated max COAL will usually be a good place to start.
The Max OAL according to SAAMI is listed in every manual, no need to list the OAL that was tested. It causes more confusion then it is worth.
Old June 25, 2014, 12:57 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603Country
I disagree with Brian on whether or not the listed COAL is completely worthless. A lot of newbies need some length to use, and the indicated max COAL will usually be a good place to start.
The place they have to start is SAAMI max OAL. Alternatively, the manuals could just all give a good explanation about OAL and how to find it in your own gun. That way, the Newb would find their own OAL to use, which is the only one that's really relevant.

If it ain't a handgun, I don't even look at the OAL in load data. I couldn't care less what they used.
Old June 25, 2014, 07:24 PM   #8
603Country

Well...I don't know if we are all in full agreement, but I don't think we are in a complete disagreement. What I worry about is the semi-braindead people that are starting to reload with no meaningful research and with a careless attitude. I remember a guy from decades ago that I went hunting with. He was "a reloader", and he went to close the bolt on a round and it wouldn't close and then I got to watch him beat on the bolt handle with his shoe, using the heel as the hammer. Those people are reloading too, and info, no matter how basic, is needed. Those people are not likely on this forum, thank goodness. Of course, we don't really know that, and we wouldn't hear the loud bang from online.
Old June 25, 2014, 08:08 PM   #9
steve4102

That would not happen with a SAAMI max OAL load. More likely he did not size his case properly and the Shoulder was causing the issue not the OAL.
Old June 25, 2014, 09:32 PM   #10
603Country

Steve, I'm sure you're right, but you still get my point about reloaders with gear but no knowledge.
Old June 26, 2014, 05:15 PM   #11
pathdoc

Thanks all.

My worry was starting with a too-short COAL that might raise pressures. I'm not afraid to vary COAL, and indeed have played around with maximum (and overlength) COAL in the past in another calibre. I am thus reasonably confident that I know what I'm doing.

Played around this evening while waiting for the barbecue to warm up, and found that the little VGs will comfortably seat out to 2.240" or just short thereof, without me being able to pull them out with my fingers - for a first experiment, this is good enough. When I next get some time, I'll chamber a dummy cartridge in the rifle (without primer or powder behind it) and see if there's any chambering or projectile setback/engraving issues that might cause me problems. If there are, I'll split the difference between the two COAL recommendations, work carefully up from minimum charge, and call it a day.
Old June 26, 2014, 05:20 PM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Remember, making a rifle cartridge longer INCREASES pressure.
Old June 26, 2014, 05:48 PM   #13
bt380

IMO, for a newb, OAL is OAL and they shouldn't deviate until they learn and make consistent rounds according to the manuals. They can do ladder test within the powder ranges to see what happens. Later, with experience, they can learn how to deviate from OAL as they lengthen the round and learn about those limitations. As an example, a newb jumps right up to max and makes a short round could be in trouble. Especially if doing compressed loads. IMHO, stick to the manuals, period, until you have the safety experience to deviate. Why be a safety statistic? Take time and learn. If the manual states something, stick to the manual. If the different manuals are in conflict, use the manual that belongs to the bullet. Lets say you have a Hornady bullet and you disagree with the Hornady "current" manual. Call Hornady tech support. If you have a bullet that doesn't have a manual, check the powder maker sight. If still an issue, call them. To avoid bullet drama...only buy bullets that you have a bullet manufacture manual for until you get experience. Practice using various forums and see if you can answer the reloading questions without reading down to see what the possible answer might have been. Compare the forum answers with the manuals. Eventually you will figure it out. Be safe and wear your safety glasses around reloading. Hands never touch the eyes until they have been washed. Something as simple as trimming can cause eye damage.
Old June 26, 2014, 06:16 PM   #14
steve4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt380
IMO, for a newb, OAL is OAL and they shouldn't deviate until they learn and make consistent rounds according to the manuals.
How does this work, this "do not deviate" you speak of?

As this thread is about the 223 I would like your opinion or your technique on how you would tell a Newbee, not to deviate in this situation.

223 data.

Sierra bullet 69gr SMK, published OALs.

Lyman 48= 2.260.
Sierra #5 = 2.260
Hodgdon = 2.235
Western = 2.245

Sierra Bullet 63gr , published OALs

Lyman 48= 2.260
Sierra #5 = 2.250
Hodgdon = 2.200

So, what is a newbee supposed to do? No matter what OAL he chooses , he is deviating from published data?
Old June 26, 2014, 07:01 PM   #15
chiefr

Years of reloading has taught me the distance the bullet travels before it touches the land can mean the difference between what looks like a shotgun blast and a one-hole group.
I too have never subscribed to the tenet that OAL listed in your manual gives optimum accuracy.
Old June 26, 2014, 07:52 PM   #16
bt380

Experience learns from doing. Learning from good safety practices builds a good foundation. Leap frogging from guessing may work for a long time but it also it may not.
-
IMO: For a newb:
As an example:
Lets say I want to buy a Hornady 70 grain bullet. I go to the Hornady 9th edition manual. I don't use Lee 2nd edition (a nice manual but we have a Hornady bullet so we use a Hornady manual). I see I have the powder, etc for that bullet per Hornady. But I have an ar-15 with 1:8 twist. Bummer, I don't use that bullet because of the Hornady note about stabilization issues. I should pick a different bullet. Granted I can force the issue, but that is not good reloading practices.
Lets say I only have a Speer manual. I buy Speer bullets and stick to their formulas and directions. If I have a Nosler manual, I stick to Nosler bullets and so on until I get more manuals to use different bullets.
-
Using your example. IMO:
Sierra bullet 69gr SMK, published OALs.
Lyman 48= 2.260 <= Lyman 49th lists 1:12 twist
Sierra #5 = 2.260 <= see comments below
Hodgdon = 2.235 <= 2014 Hodgdon annual manual p144 states 1:12 twist
Western = 2.245 <= web states 1:12 twist
Your example sierra bullet using 2.260 needs to look at sierra p213 for the gun and we see it uses 1:7 twist rate. If you have a 1:7 twist, use Sierra data. If you have a 1:12 twist, call sierra tech support to find out if you can use a bullet needing a faster twist rate. ie Some lighter grain bullets will disintegrate at high revolutions from faster twist barrels. For a newb, don't deviate to outside sources. For now, go buy a bullet that works for your twist and the manual that supports it.
-
Rather than find a bullet on a shelf and try to stuff it in the gun, look for the kind of bullets that will support your gun and buy that bullet with that manual.
-
Lets use a popular Hornady bullet (55gr FMJ-BT w/c) for the moment: We see the 9th edition p147 states 1:12 twist but lets say I have a 1:9 twist and we want to use the 55gr FMJ-BT w/c. The manual states I should go to p154-157 to use the heavier bullets and to p157-160 if I have the 1:7 twist. But with experience we have found that the Hornady 55gr fmj-bt w/c will work in the 1:9 twist (but may fail the ladder test for accuracy). I would not recommend a newb to use it though. I say call Hornady tech support and check with them first. The pressures and bullet rotations for 223 are not like pistol forgiveness. We need to have a viable source, a direct statement for "that" bullet or a tech support for that bullet before we just load an go.
-
IMO: Bottom line: Buy lots of manuals, read and re-read those manuals and stick to those manuals for their bullet until you learn enough to go outside the realm.
-
It's too easy to find the bullet you need for your gun after using the manual. Just buying bullets off the shelf and hoping gets expensive and may be unsafe for the newb.
Old June 26, 2014, 08:31 PM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

.223 load data conflict - Confused!

1:12 is not a faster twist than 1:7. A 1:12 twist is 1 turn in 12 inches. 1:7 is 1 turn in 7 inches. A bullet requiring 1:7 will not disintegrate in 1:12, it will (possibly) be unstable.

You really complicate things. Complex is not easier than simple. There is no need to have a manual for all the powder and bullet companies you use not consult a specific manual for a specific bullet.

The real world values simplicity over complexity and complexity does not make things easier or safer for the newb.
Old June 27, 2014, 06:40 AM   #18
steve4102

Quote:
IMO: Bottom line: Buy lots of manuals, read and re-read those manuals and stick to those manuals for their bullet until you learn enough to go outside the realm.
OK, I have a Nosler #6 manual. It does not list any OALs tested. Now what?

I also have the Hornady #7, it says this,

"The reloader has entire control over seating depth up to physical limitations of action magazine or barrel.Experimenting with seating depth can help you achieve the best..."

Last edited by steve4102; June 27, 2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old June 27, 2014, 11:56 AM   #19
bt380

IMO: I guess I will have to disagree. A bullet coming out of a 1:12 will not spin as fast as a bullet coming out of a 1:7.
-
Bullet revolutions per minute (rpm):
-
A bullet fired from a rifled barrel can spin at over 300,000 rpm, depending on the bullet's muzzle velocity (MV) and the barrel's twist rate.
-
The general formula for calculating the rpm of a rotating object may be written as:
rpm = \frac{\upsilon}{C}
-
where \upsilon is the linear velocity of a point in the rotating object (in units of distance/minute) and C refers to the circumference of the circle that this measuring point performs around the axis of rotation.
-
For a bullet, the specific formula below uses the bullet's MV and the barrel's twist rate to calculate rotational speed:
MV(in fps) x (12/twist rate in inches) x 60 = Bullet rpm
-
For example, a bullet with a muzzle velocity of 3050 ft/s (930m/s) fired from a barrel with a twist rate of 1 in 7-inch (180 mm) (e.g., the M16A2 rifle) spins at 313,714 rpm.[15]
-
Excessive rotational speed can exceed the bullet's designed limits and the resulting centrifugal force can cause the bullet to disintegrate in a radial fashion.
-
This data can be found all over the web, magazine articles, and if you contact one of the tech supports of the leading gun manufactures, they will agree and provide more clarification.
-
-
IMHO: I don't care about real world experiences when it comes to best safety practices and building safe foundations for new folks in a hazardous hobby. They hire engineers to make determinations that are guidelines for folks to learn from.
-
IMHO: It is safer for a new person to buy the bullet that they have the manual for using the ranges supplied for that bullet with the listed powder choices supplied. Unless you can tell me that the various forums load data is 100% always right and safe and have evidences for such, I will have to stick with my opinion that the manuals are safer over forum data and newb need to follow best safety practices.
-
It is not confusing at all: Buy the bullet that is listed in the bullets manufacturers manual (ie Hornady manual for Hornady bullet) that will work with your gun. Repeat pattern until you learn why and when you can deviate.
Old June 27, 2014, 12:15 PM   #20
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
IMO: I guess I will have to disagree. A bullet coming out of a 1:12 will not spin as fast as a bullet coming out of a 1:7.
Of course that is correct. I apparently misunderstood your previous post. I did clearly say that a 1:12 is not faster than a 1:7.

Quote:
IMHO: I don't care about real world experiences when it comes to best safety practices and building safe foundations for new folks in a hazardous hobby. They hire engineers to make determinations that are guidelines for folks to learn from.
You do realize that the same folks who you're putting all this trust in, who you say tell you whether to use a bullet that requires this twist or that, also spell out right in the very same manual that OAL is not a fixed requirement and the reloader is free to adjust it as they see fit? The "newb" who has and reads all these manuals will read in every single one that they are free to adjust OAL as they see fit.

OAL is not a safety concern (in rifle cartridges) because of proper load development practices. Seating depth effects pressure by something in the neighborhood of 15%, tops. Proper load develop techniques (start low and work up), start at pressures 25-33% below max.

The most potentially dangerous part of OAL adjustments in rifles is that it works exactly the opposite as it does in handguns. Longer rounds make MORE pressure in rifles but LESS pressure in handguns. That is what the newb really needs to understand.

BTW, the twist rate for a given bullet has exactly ZERO to do with safety. The absolute worst case scenario is an unstable bullet at one extreme or a bullet that comes apart in flight on the other extreme. Neither is any danger to anyone nor is either of them particularly likely. Most guns have a twist rate that will accurately fire the most common bullet weights in the caliber. You have to try pretty hard to cause a problem and it's ALMOST always with instability. It's pretty hard to make a bullet come apart. The worst thing you've got is a box of bullets you can't use.

Quote:
I will have to stick with my opinion that the manuals are safer over forum data and newb need to follow best safety practices.
This is a completely separate question. I would never suggest that a person should get actual load data exclusively from a forum or even from ANY single source. OAL is not load data.
Old June 27, 2014, 02:36 PM   #21
bt380

re: "The "newb" who has and reads all these manuals"
There is evidence on the forums and magazine articles that reflect that newbs don't buy all these manuals. They may just get one like some folks do and then slowly buy more (not always, just some times). There is plenty of evidence from the questions we see that the manual has not been read or perhaps not re-read or material forgotten because there is so much material.
-
re: "spell out right in the very same manual that OAL is not a fixed requirement and the reloader is free to adjust it as they see fit"
Please list the references that state you can adjust OAL "as you see fit" as well as the clarification for a newb to understand "what is fit." None of the (several) manuals I have state you can ignore the OAL's and do what you want as you see fit. I have seen a couple allusive dances that could be confusing to a newb.
-
re: "the twist rate for a given bullet has exactly ZERO to do with safety"
I don't believe I made that statement. What "can" happen is some of the surface material can disintegrate in a radial fashion such that the bullet travels down range instable. How this effects the trajectory and where that bullet may go cannot be determined accurately.
-
re: "OAL is not a safety concern (in rifle cartridges) because of proper load development practices"
That statement speaks from experiences and the knowledge of what "proper load development practices" may be. A newb hasn't gotten there yet. Your statement: "The most potentially dangerous part of OAL adjustments in rifles is that it works exactly the opposite as it does in handguns. Longer rounds make MORE pressure in rifles but LESS pressure in handguns. That is what the newb really needs to understand." support that OAL does matter in some cases (max loads, etc, etc).
-
From an experienced perspective I think we agree in what we can and cannot do. I stand by my belief that a newb should stick to the manual until they learn (gain experience) where they can deviate from "knowledgeable" experience. All forum data should be verified by a newb in a manual or obtained from a tech support person from the manufacture who can be held liable which tends to make them more cautious until the newb understands otherwise.
-
At any rate, this is my "last" comment on this matter.
Old June 27, 2014, 04:11 PM   #22
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Please list the references that state you can adjust OAL "as you see fit" as well as the clarification for a newb to understand "what is fit."
It doesn't have to be those exact words and I don't write the manuals, so I can't tell you that there's any clarification at all. That's not my doing.

As per post #4 above, Western Powder says
"SPECIAL NOTE ON CARTRIDGE OVERALL LENGTH “COL”
It is important to note that the SAAMI “COL” values are for the firearms and ammunition manufacturers industry and must be seen as a
guideline only.
The individual reloader is free to adjust this dimension to suit their particular firearm-component-weapon combination.
This parameter is determined by various dimensions such as 1) magazine length (space), 2) freebore-lead dimensions of the barrel, 3)
ogive or profile of the projectile and 4) position of cannelure or crimp groove.

Lyman 49th says:
"Circumstances, which include chamber dimensions and bullet ogive, make it necessary to use a different length."

Nosler #6 manual doesn't even list OAL in their data.

Vihtavouri-Lapua says:
"The overall length of the cartridge must follow the reloading guide instructions to ensure accuracy and to avoid loading problems." (Notice nothing about safety.)

Accurate Powder says:
It is important to note that the SAAMI “COL” values are for the firearms and ammunition manufacturers industry and must be seen as a guideline only.

Quote:
re: "the twist rate for a given bullet has exactly ZERO to do with safety"
I don't believe I made that statement.
I guess you didn't but since we're talking about safety, I don't know why it would come up if it's not relevant.

Quote:
That statement speaks from experiences and the knowledge of what "proper load development practices" may be. A newb hasn't gotten there yet. Your statement: "The most potentially dangerous part of OAL adjustments in rifles is that it works exactly the opposite as it does in handguns. Longer rounds make MORE pressure in rifles but LESS pressure in handguns. That is what the newb really needs to understand." support that OAL does matter in some cases (max loads, etc, etc).
Of course it CAN matter. It won't matter if we're following safe reloading practices though and it's not unsafe to use ANY OAL if proper loading practices are followed. OAL is not a matter of "proper" practices.
Old June 27, 2014, 04:38 PM   #23
steve4102

^^^ Hornady #7 page 63 says,

"The reloader has entire control over seating depth up to physical limitations of action, magazine or barrel.Experimenting with seating depth can help you achieve the best..."

Nosler #6 page 43 instructs the handloader how to find the correct OAL for his/her fireaam as they do not list the OAL tested. I would post a copy of page 43, but that would be a violation of Copy Right rules here.
Old June 29, 2014, 10:41 AM   #24
Machineguntony

Just for clarification...

So if increasing OAL increases pressure, am I correct im saying that there is no danger from increased pressure if I make the OAL of the cartridge shorter?

I find that sometimes, I have problems with the bullet contacting the rifling, so I tend to make the OAL shorter, but this has always worried me. On one of my guns, using Dardas bullets, the finished cartridge looks so short, it looks a bit strange, but it functions.
Old June 29, 2014, 10:58 AM   #25
Xfire68

Machineguntony, I to for some time worried about the OAL and pressure issues but, found as long as my powder loads were within published data for the bullet I was using I did not have any issues when I needed to shorten the OAL to reduce contact with rifling or to allow proper fit in the mag.