The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 25, 2009, 11:07 PM   #1
kenfa03

Which beam scales?

Looking to order some. Just getting set up to load.
Old January 25, 2009, 11:16 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

You'll probably find you only need one. The inexpensive Lee works, but is slow to settle and people complain it is easy to adjust incorrectly and it only has 100 grain capacity, so it won't let you weigh cases bigger than .223 or bullets heavier than 100 grains, obviously. The Redding is very well thought of, but not cheap. I once bought an RCBS 505 for work for non-reloading purposes. It seemed to work fine. The Prometheus is still king of the hill, but way beyond normal human budgets.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 26, 2009, 07:01 AM   #3
under_dawg

I bought a Lee Classic Turret kit from Cabela's that included the Lee Scale. It works fine for me. I'm sure there are better ones out there, but Lee is hard to beat for functionality and price. I bought a Frankford Arsenal $39.95 digital scale from Midway, and I prefer the Lee. The Frankford Arsenal is battery operated and shuts off after 1 minute. Very frustrating. It doesn't have a plug for an ac adapter either.
Old January 26, 2009, 07:57 AM   #4
GoldenRoyBoy

Scales

May I ask, why a beamer?

This day and time most everyone I know is going digital. You'll save yourself a lot of time, and aggrevation going digital right off the bat. My RCBS 1010 beamer is collecting cobwebs high up, and almost out of sight on a shelf. I'd suggest looking into the RCBS ChargeMaster 1500. Pact, and Lyman have pretty good units also. What I like about RCBS is their outstanding warranty and service. ALthough, they state a one year warranty, they'll replace the unit without hesitation, if it fails. And, free regardless of time. At least, so far for me.

Good luck,
GRB
Old January 26, 2009, 08:38 AM   #5
F. Guffey

I went to the Dallas Market Hall gun show looking for anything, parts pieces, things that would expand the versatility of something I have and use as a tool, I found a beam for $5.00, I was told the beam was an upgrade for other scales, I disagreed but with the promise I could bring it back if it didn't I purchase it, before I left the show, I found enough parts to build a 5-10 Rcbs scale complete with the expensive bail, bucket and pan for $30.00. I went home, set it on a set-up table, got my machinist level out with a book of 3M stick-its, a small tin of different size shot and put all of those parts together like they had been together from the beginning, and the beam did not fit anything but the 5- 10 type scale that is similar to the 10-10 RCBS, in my opinion, the 10-10 scale is outstanding no matter what color it comes in and there is nothing suspect about the 5-10.

F. GUffey
Old January 26, 2009, 08:43 AM   #6
F. Guffey

Kenfa03, the question was about a beam scale and what I thought about which was a good one.

I ommitted the above from the last post, forgive,

F. Guffey
Old January 26, 2009, 02:34 PM   #7
benzuncle

Quote:
I bought a Lee Classic Turret kit from Cabela's that included the Lee Scale. It works fine for me. I'm sure there are better ones out there, but Lee is hard to beat for functionality and price. I bought a Frankford Arsenal $39.95 digital scale from Midway, and I prefer the Lee. The Frankford Arsenal is battery operated and shuts off after 1 minute.
This is close to my situation. I bought the Lee Classic Turret Press in kit form 1 year ago from kempfgunshop.com. It came with the Lee Beam Scale. It works just fine, especially when cost is factored in. After a while, I noticed that a lot of reloaders with more experience than I touted the digital scales. Just by chance, a Midway add came in the mail and the Frankford Arsenal digital scale was on sale for $30. I bought it. It shipped for $34. It told me that the Lee Beam Scale was indeed accurate to within 1/10th of a grain as advertised. I'm glad I bought it, if for no other reason than to ease my mind. I check the setup with both scales. As I have the Lee scale set at eye level, I still use it the most, though PS: The plastic tray that comes with the digital scales sucks. It creates static and doesn't want to shake all of the the powder loose. I use the aluminum tray from the Lee; it works just fine.
Old January 26, 2009, 03:01 PM   #8
sserdlihc

Quote:
This day and time most everyone I know is going digital. You'll save yourself a lot of time, and aggrevation going digital right off the bat. My RCBS 1010 beamer is collecting cobwebs high up, and almost out of sight on a shelf. I'd suggest looking into the RCBS ChargeMaster 1500. Pact, and Lyman have pretty good units also. What I like about RCBS is their outstanding warranty and service. ALthough, they state a one year warranty, they'll replace the unit without hesitation, if it fails. And, free regardless of time. At least, so far for me.
I agree. I have an RCBS Partner Electronic scale. I have had it for 7 years or so. It was giving me a few problems with zeroing. I called RCBS. They referred me to PACT( Pact actually made the scale for RCBS) After 7 years Pact still took the time to walk me through the diagnostic program to calibrate my scale. Pact has great customer service. I will definately buy from them in the future when I upgrade.

This scale is very similar to my RCBS $89.95
http://pact.com/index.php?option=com...d=13&Itemid=59
Old January 26, 2009, 03:45 PM   #9
Dustin0

I have been using a Lyman Pro 500 with zero problems. It was cheaper than the Lee.
Old January 26, 2009, 04:09 PM   #10
LHB1

Kenfa03,
Your question about beam scales is very pertinent. I have and use both beam scales and electronic scales. The electronics are convenient and quick BUT electronic gadgets can have problems and deliver wrong weights without you knowing it. Beam scales work by basic physics and these laws have not been repealed. My beam scale is the final judge if weight differences occur on my loading bench.

I use an old Lyman/Ohaus beam scale purchased in late '60s. This same scale is marketed today as the RCBS Model 1010. It is still an excellent scale. Newer electronics are nice but I just don't trust them as much as a beam scale.
Old January 26, 2009, 04:33 PM   #11
kenfa03

Thanks very much. I anm leaning towards the 1010.
Old January 26, 2009, 05:20 PM   #12
TheTinMan

From a newbie, I got a "pocket electronic scale" with a Hornady LNL kit. It made me so suspicious after the first batch of reloads that I bought an RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale. It's simple, it reads the same weight EVERY time, it works.
Old January 26, 2009, 07:59 PM   #13
ulflyer

Hornady

I have a Hornady beam I bought used some years ago and its never had to be rebalanced, although I check it periodically. Couldn't ask for better.
Old January 26, 2009, 08:10 PM   #14
BradF

I had the RCBS 505 scales until some unknown chemical leaked into my reloading box during my last move 2 years ago. Ruined the scales. I bought a set of Hornady scales to replace them since they were cheaper and came highly recommended from a friend. The Hornady's work fine but I like the 505 better.
Old January 26, 2009, 08:26 PM   #15
aerod1

I check my Lee balance beam scale with my cabela's digital 1500 and it is always accurate. I realize it only goes to 100 grains but it just costs $30.00.
It has been a good scale for me.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old January 28, 2009, 06:36 PM   #16
ryalred

I purchased a Dillon on Ebay and it runs circles around the Lee beam scale for ease of use.
reloading -- addicted
Old January 28, 2009, 06:48 PM   #17
bolt face

I love the 1010.