The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 6, 2007, 01:09 PM   #26
Wild Bill Bucks

Thats about right! I just got Mrs.WBB convinced that everything on the internet is true, and I should order that new H&H Mag. in case I run across Big Foot, and you guys tipped her off, that it might be a hoax.

Oh well, maybe one of you guys can post a picture of an elephant in a feeder in Oklahoma, and I can get the rifle anyway.
Old November 7, 2007, 04:45 PM   #27
New_Pollution1086

Big Ass Beaver
- T. Boone Pickens
Old November 7, 2007, 11:08 PM   #28
zahnzieh

OOOOH SCARY... Must be a chupacabre (goat-sucker) - any goats nearby?
Old November 8, 2007, 03:33 AM   #29
Sportology

Mangy Bear?!

I love a good mystery. Now I want my own Game-Cam. Maybe the folks at Bushnell or a local sporting goods shop were looking to push a few random sales...
Old November 8, 2007, 10:20 AM   #30
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Lordy, why won't one of you guys just ask Elvis? He'd know...

Art
Old November 8, 2007, 11:23 AM   #31
FirstFreedom

I'm pretty sure that's the elusive and wily North American orangutan.
Old November 8, 2007, 12:03 PM   #32
davlandrum

The persistence of the bigfoot, chucacabra, loch ness monster belief is explained pretty simply - It is impossible to prove something doesn't exist. The absence of evidence that it does exist is not the same thing as proving it doesn't exist.

My wife swears I have no brain, but I patiently point out to her that lack of evidence that my brain exists does not, in fact, prove anything. My brain could simply be hiding until the right time...

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 8, 2007, 12:06 PM   #33
FirstFreedom

Quote:
My wife swears I have no brain, but I patiently point out to her that lack of evidence that my brain exists does not, in fact, prove anything. My brain could simply be hiding until the right time...
Pfffttttt! Damn you, I need a new monitor now.
Old November 8, 2007, 12:30 PM   #34
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I tend to be a skeptic on these things (understatement ), but there was a show on The History Channel last night about these critters. I didn't catch all of it, but a team of scientists, somewhere in the NW US, put down a board with nails hoping to get a blood & tissue sample.

They did.

DNA tests on the samples showed it to be from an unknown primate.

Interesting.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old November 8, 2007, 04:27 PM   #35
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"DNA tests on the samples showed it to be from an unknown primate."

I wuz thinkin' maybe a rational gun-control freak, which isn't possible. But, if you saw it on TV, it must be true.

Art
Old November 8, 2007, 10:14 PM   #36
Diesel1

Quote:
That's funny right there, I don't care who you are.
Old November 8, 2007, 11:11 PM   #37
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
but there was a show on The History Channel last night about these critters. I didn't catch all of it, but a team of scientists, somewhere in the NW US, put down a board with nails hoping to get a blood & tissue sample.

They did.

DNA tests on the samples showed it to be from an unknown primate.

Interesting.
If that is the show I think it is, then the samples collected from the nails were of unknown origin, meaning they didn't see what creature deposited the samples. Also, the identification was not based on comparison with all known primate and non-primate taxa, but on ruling out a few non-primate taxa and noting the sample was similar to primate DNA.

Is this the correct show? If so, the results are dubious. If they were able to tell it was primate, then they should have been able to get a more precise identification as to whether or not it was an ape or monkey even if they could not pinpoint the species.

I have it set to record tomorrow night and I will watch it.
Old November 10, 2007, 12:35 AM   #38
Double Naught Spy

Okay, saw the show. The tissue, hair, and blood samples were taken from a board with screws on it that were used as a deterrent to bears (sort of bed of nails configuration). Samples were collected two years after they were reportedly deposited. When the independent researcher was unable to extract DNA, one of the investigators on the team found that the DNA extraction was being hindered by the galvanization on the screws and he supposedly corrected for that and got the DNA. Strangely, I am not sure why he did the second DNA analysis only after the first failed. I would have thought that he would have done one initially or in tandem with the first researcher to cross verify results.

It was strange that they could get DNA samples done immediately from blood, but not from the tissue, the claim being that it would take up to a year. Same for the hair. As a DNA researcher, the guy would have known that to get DNA from the hair samples, the roots would need to be present. Whether or not the roots were present could have been determined through visual (unaided or magnification aided) examination.

I was surprised at the amount of blood shown on the back side of the board with the screws. It looked like a lot of blood drained through the board to the back side and then flowed like a paint run drip...which is odd for a surface that would have been flat on the ground.

I liked how the crew came under attack at the cabin, yet there was no footage of the actual attack or auditory verification. None of the cameras saw anything and scanning the area with infrared and night vision cameras during the "attack" turned up nothing.

So it was claimed that it was a 1 in 5000 chance to be human. Given the sample was 2 years old and left exposed to the elements, I would guess that the ID is a bit dubious.
Old November 11, 2007, 09:22 AM   #39
jbrown

a bit dubious?

more like a giant crock of shiyt,if you ask me.Ive been watching these bigfoot/loch ness/ufo shows for 30 years and they all claim to have " new evidence" or some other proof and it is always just smoke and mirrors.
Rocks on the roof?thats an "attack"?It was probably a friggin pine cone off a tree,the cabin was surrounded by conifers,fer cris sake.