The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 29, 2012, 09:35 AM   #26
jimbob86

My Mossberg 500 is the only gun I bought new in box and managed to break/wear out in normal use.
Old August 29, 2012, 07:53 PM   #27
Nathan

I love my Mossberg 930. I would buy a 500, but thew 930 works for me.

Let us not make shotguns into 1911's. If it can be made from barstock tool steel, it is not always better.

Some people actually want to carry and use these weapons. Those people might like an engineered product which makes the best use of materials to make a tough, light, handy tool for use for a certain task.

Personally, I think a nice light, durable shotgun with a short barrel, and extended mag probably has many good uses in war. The 590 fits that bill, and an 870 wouldn't be far behind.
Old August 29, 2012, 08:23 PM   #28
Loronzo

I recently "inherited" a family mossberg 500 originally made and purchased shortly after I was born in the late 80's. Mind you this weapon had never once been cleaned, had moved across country several times and was shot quiet a bit. When I recieved it it still cycled and functioned like a champ. A little TLC and a THOROUGH inspection and to be honest it's one of my favorite firearms now... that's just my experience, I still plan to buy a 870 Marine version in the near future but it definitely made me respect Mossberg for making relatively inexpensive all-american firearms, something that I didn't before.
Old August 29, 2012, 08:30 PM   #29
TheKlawMan

Nathan, Comparing a 590 to an 870 is like comparing apples and oranges. One is an auto loader and the other a pump.

While I think a Mossberg gives you good value for the money, I went with the 870 because of the alloy receiver of a 500. Is that the one that can get tweaked by over tigtening the screws when attaching a side saddle to the receiver? It probably doesn't happen very often, but recently there was a thread posted by a guy that somehow managed to jam his new 500 action up solidly by forcing the slide back. He is waiting to have Mossberg figure out just what went wrong, but my guess it wouldn't have happened or would not have happened as easly if it was a steel receiver.
Old August 30, 2012, 03:20 AM   #30
bamaranger

mossberg v. rem

Coming up as a kid, the 870 was the gun,and a Mossberg was an also ran. Guys who wouldn't/couldn't spend the cash on a Remington bought the 500. Rems had real walnut, a blued finish, and bespoke quality. Mossbergs didn't have the same look. And there was the steel v. alloy thing. Who wants an alloy reciever when one could get real, forged US steel?

Since those times, the Rem has nearly priced itself out of the market, fielded a number of synthetic and coarse finished guns, and the reputation of Mossberg has grown, and their looks are not so different in the price range. And their is an ongoing debate over Rem quality.

One diff is that the Mossbergs are lighter, due to their alloy receiver. If your going to tote one alot, and not shoot heavy kickers too much (say a slug hunter or a turkey hunter, usually 1 shot deals) the Mossberg makes sense. An all steel Rem seems to soak up 3" and mag recoil a bit better and might make a better pass shooting gun.

Performance wise, they are likely locked.
Old August 30, 2012, 05:03 AM   #31
2ndtimearound

The lines are in the sand Rem/Mossberg. I have both in my safe and I like them both. my 870 is a youth model and it fits like a glove, with a heavy coat on. 500 is lighter after a full day stomping the brush. I see no real advantage to argue one or the outher. Never had a problem out of eather one. That being said Fords and Chevys both get you to ths woods and back,and if you look in the rearview you might see a Ram. We can think what we whant and in the end its our own opinion that counts for me. Ho by the way I also have a Win 1300 with no faults. Shoot what you have and enjoy.
Old August 30, 2012, 06:39 AM   #32
Downeast

I owned the 500 years ago and i think they are a great no frills reliable shotgun which would server well as a truck gun. I have an 870 in 20 gauge and a 590A1 now.

Also, here is the MIL Spec for Shotguns in case anyone is interested in reading
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mil-s-3443.pdf (570.5 KB, 24 views)
Old August 30, 2012, 08:32 AM   #33
jmortimer

There are far more Jam-O-Matic 870s out there. Just google "870 jamming" and "500 jamming." There are far more threads on this site about frustrated owners of Jam-O-Matic 870s. To think that current production 870s show pride in fit and finish is a joke.
Old August 30, 2012, 08:35 AM   #34
jmortimer

"Nathan, Comparing a 590 to an 870 is like comparing apples and oranges. One is an auto loader and the other a pump."
Wrong, they are both pump actions. He did mention the 930 which is also a fantastic shotgun and is an autoloader.

Last edited by jmortimer; August 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old August 30, 2012, 10:39 AM   #35
SoilworK777

^^^

Careful. KlawMan likes to argue.
Old August 30, 2012, 10:43 AM   #36
jmortimer

^ He may, not really an argument, just facts. I hope/assume he just mistyped.
Old August 30, 2012, 11:37 AM   #37
xLPlushy

Have a 1996 500A. Love that gun. Bought it used for $150 out the door, 3 years ago. Since I have it, I have put close to 3,000 rounds thru it, including a lot of 3"slugs and 3" buckshot loads. Never failed yet. Only clean it every 700-800 rounds or so. It always goes boom. Recently got an 835 and a Benelli Nova from my dad. The 835 is solid while the Nova wasn't so much. The 835 also held a tighter pattern over all the shell/choke combos I played with. Sold the Nova to a close friend. He loves it.

That said, I grew up shooting my step-dads 870. As a kid I loved it because it fit me better. For nostalgic purposes I'd like to own a blue-steel and walnut 870. But I'll always rely on my Mossbergs for killing clays and food.

To each his own. Just my $.02.

Tapatalked via my highly abused iPhone
Old August 30, 2012, 06:20 PM   #38
FlyerXD

If you are looking for the same shotgun as the milatery uses it is a 590A1 they have the heavy barrel and are parkerized. I have an 870 because it fits like it was made for me. I really don't get the brand wars as both companies make a.fine shotgun.
Old August 30, 2012, 08:36 PM   #39
TheKlawMan

Yeah, I just got my numbers confused. Isn't the 590 is the Mossberg pump that is hard to fit with barrels? Again, a good gun if you are only going to use it for one thing. In fariness the problem is similar to what many are running into when they buy one of the newest 870 "tactical" models only to discover that most 870 barrels don't fit one with a one piece extended magazine.
Old August 30, 2012, 09:14 PM   #40
oneounceload

AH, yes

yet ANOTHER 870 vs 500 disparaging thread where fanboys of both come to slam the other.....

Maybe we can limit these to only occur on Tuesdays after Monday National Holidays?????

The only currently worse are the national political ads on TV.......

OP, the Mossberg is a decent inexpensive gun, just like the 870. The major difference is the location of the safety - decide what will work best for you and go from there
Old August 30, 2012, 11:31 PM   #41
SteelChickenShooter

I've had many Mossberg shotguns and several model 500's. No problem with the 500's. They might feel a bit loose or light, but they've always been reliable without malfunction. I favor the controls over the model 870's. I've had issues with the 590A1, but don't recall any problems with any of my 500's. Funny thing though: as I look at the gun rack in the shop, there's a rifled barrel and smooth bore pair of 870's on the wall.
WRONG!
You guys might get a kick out of this: With the lights on in the shop, and the door pulled away, I see the short black shotgun on the left is a Mossberg 590A1, and the shotgun on the right is a rifled barrel 870.
Guess I can't be accused of single brand loyalty or bashing either one.

Last edited by SteelChickenShooter; September 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old September 1, 2012, 02:42 PM   #42
ED7578

Beginning clay shotgun

I am a beginner and am looking for a new/used shotgun 12 ga. O/u for use with the clay sports. Any recommendations. I must keep it below $500.00. I was looking at the mossberg silver reserve but have seen a bunch of posts indicating it has firing pin issues at about 1000 rds. Any suggestions??
Old September 1, 2012, 02:50 PM   #43
jmortimer

Suggest you start a new thread. You will get much more feedback. This one is tired and not related to your question.
Old September 2, 2012, 01:48 AM   #44
TheKlawMan

Ed, jmortimer's suggestion to start a separate thread is a good one. You may also want to search old posts re the Mossberg Silver Reserve.
Old September 2, 2012, 03:05 AM   #45
natman

Quote:
The Mossberg just feels and looks cheap, no crome/metal lined barrel, the blued looks cheap on it. My 870 is park and makes it look "more solid". Also the Reciver is Alum not Metal like a 870.
I'm not sure what a "crome/metal lined barrel" is, but both 870s and 500s have steel barrels. The finish on 870 Expresses is not the guns strongest point. Aluminum is metal and there is no practical disadvantage to an aluminum receiver on a 500, except that the gun is lighter.

A 500 has a better control layout than an 870 in the placement of the safety and slide release. A 500 has the shell lifter up when the bolt is closed and an 870 has it down where it gets in the way of reloading.

Mossbergs are a bit rough out of the box, but if you know which end of a gunsmith's stone is which you can make them into a very smooth, very reliable and still inexpensive shotgun for just about any use.
Old September 2, 2012, 03:58 PM   #46
amd6547

One thing about Mossbergs...so many have been made for so many years, that the chance of finding a great deal on a used one is very good.
I often see them at local gun shows...plain field models with little to no wear selling for around $125.
My own was plucked out of pile of security company surplus riot guns. Stock was missing most finish, barrel had green camo paint...$75. Over the years, I have cleaned off the paint and added a hogue stock, as well as some cold blue and an OEM heat shield that was given to me.
But, regardless of the changes I have made, that Mossberg worked perfectly when I got it, and was super smooth from years of use. For a long time, I kept it just as I got it...ugly, finish worn...a serious looking riot gun.

Last edited by amd6547; September 2, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old September 5, 2012, 10:04 AM   #47
droptrd

ive said this in a couple other 500/870 threads...

My huntin buddie uses an 870. I use a 500. We hunt water fowl, deer and coyote with them. I dont know how many years we have been doing this but its over 15. We like to go out and just shoot clay also. neither gun has ever malfunctioned. Neither has had major finish problems - both are looking a touch beat up with even wear. Neither has had any parts wear out to date other than chokes. The 870 reciever has a touch of surface rust now. the 500 is clean

IMO...

his 870 has nicer looking wood (grain and color)than my 500.
The safety and slide release are in a better location on the 500.
The 500 forarm has that "wiggle" - my buddy hates that. I dont mind.
I feel the 500 has a smoother quicker action.
the 500 is a touch lighter.
Easier to remove the mag plug for HD in a 500.
The 500 is less $$

Soo the winner is.?.?
Old September 5, 2012, 11:09 AM   #48
dgludwig

I guess the 870-I love nice-looking wood.
Old September 5, 2012, 06:10 PM   #49
droptrd

just trying to be nice to the 870
Old September 6, 2012, 03:25 PM   #50
Andrewsmith1

I have owned a 500 for close to 15 years and have also shot a few 870's. My opinion between the two is they are both great guns. I have drug my 500through rain, mud, snow and it has never failed me after thousands of rounds fired. It is a gun that I trust with my life if needed for self defense. I also think it would make a great truck gun since I personally would not be heart broken if it got dinged up considering the price I paid.