The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old January 2, 2008, 11:47 PM   #1
Greg Bell

Jan 08, Pat Rogers on Red dots.

I loved the article on Red Dots. I always flip through the new issue of Swat to see what Pat Roger's has to say. I always hope that it is an article like this or his checklists. One day you need to put together a binder of your training articles. You may at your classes. I wouldn't know since every time I sign up for one or think of signing up a court calendar will come out and keep me from going.

Anyway, I am glad to see other folks writing all over their guns. I have been doing this for years to the consternation of my friends. I figure, its my damn gun, I'll write on it if I want. What type of marker are you using on that 416?

Finally, I noticed some grouchiness regarding people who disfavor fixed stocks. I can understand, coming as you do from a military and police background, the use of body armor is a serious concern. But wouldn't a short fixed stock be optimal for a civvy (one who doesn't wear armor, I mean)?

O.K., really finally, What type of loctite do you use on your Larue Aimpoint mounts? Mine came with a little tiny bit in a plastic cap.

Again, hooray for SWAT. This looks to be a really good issue. I will be taking more smoke breaks at work this week--and I don't smoke.
Doomsday: Colt 6920 with Aimpoint t-2
Greg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2008, 06:31 AM   #2
Pat Rogers
Member in memoriam

Good Morning!
Thanks for the kind words! I take this very seriously, and after watching the babble that goes on in the dramanet forums have always felt that solid info is worth more then social meanderings.

We have been marking guns for over 15 years now. It is the only way you can be sure that what you have is where it needs to be, every time.
I use a Sharpie (aqua generally, and that is what is on the 416). It won't last forever, but during maintenance cycles i'll re touch it.

My issue with fixed stocks is - specifically- the A2 stock. Too long by a bunch, puts people in a bad fighting position. The collapsible stock gives you options not available with an A2 stock.
The Sully stock is a perfect fixed stock- the right length, strong and well designed.
I usually run my stock closed while wearing armor (open to the first notch while slick), but in prone, like it out a little farther.
I get tired of the "you can't buttstroke with a collapsible stock" gang. There are ways to strike someone with your gun, and buttstrokes are not among the better TTP's, for obvious reasons.
It is a poor excuse for a non ergonomic stock.

I use the Loctite provided by Larue. You don't need much, but what he gives you is sufficient for the purpose.
The Larue mounts are the absolute best there are, and for good reason...

In the Feb08 issue i have an article on Offset, which dovetails in to the RDS article.
Another one down the line will be about RDS failure, and while rare, you need to train for it.

Again, i appreciate the feedback!

Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com

Last edited by Pat Rogers; January 3, 2008 at 07:36 AM.
Pat Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2008, 03:33 PM   #3
Greg Bell

I look forward to those upcoming articles.

Although you made both arguments, you have convinced me that having a fold down BUIS is a better idea. I have a Larue fixed and a Troy folder. Although, I love my Larue stuff, the Troy folder just gives you a lot more options.

Along these lines, I assume your article on RDS failure will address any special techniques involved in using the Aimpoint as a ghost ring? I have tried this at 21 feet and it seems to work fine. I have also used the hood surrounding the Ak's front sight as a crude emergency aiming tool and it seems to work fairly well at CQB ranges.
Doomsday: Colt 6920 with Aimpoint t-2
Greg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2008, 03:59 PM   #4
Sidewinder6

Pat;

Both articles were great (Jan/Feb). I look forward to your next article as I recently had a self taught class on leaking N Cell batteries!

I look forward to finding a time when my schedule matches up with your open slots.

Thanks for your contributions.
Sidewinder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2008, 04:28 PM   #5
Pat Rogers
Member in memoriam

Greg, affirmative on the RDS as a ghost ring!
Make sure you Loctite the Troy- they come lose fast....
The MWI folding BUIS looks pretty good as well.

Thanks for the kind words Sidewinder 6! Bummer to hear about the N leakers, but fairly common.

FYI- we may be in Homestead at the end of March for a 3 Day Carbine Operators Course.

Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com
Pat Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote