The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old January 24, 2008, 01:38 PM   #1
Westminster

Rich's Grail Rifle

I found the Grail rifle article helpful and had a few questions. Rich, if you don't mind my asking, what were your design parameters and goals for the rifle? Is it intended as a general purpose defense rifle? A travel rifle? A class rifle?

Now that you've had it for a while, how do you like it?

If you're not sick of these questions, I'm also wondering what you like about it compared to a stock Colt AR.

Thanks.
Westminster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

WM-
My only requirements included light weight, twist rate, the back-up iron sights, NV capable optics and suppressor.

Sully spec'd the bulk of it with input from Pat Rogers and Denny Hansen.

I consider it a General Purpose Defense rifle. Were I in Harm's Way, I'd consider it a pretty damned capable battle carbine. I honestly can't think of anything I'd change on the rifle.

I'll argue guys like Pat and Denny to my grave that iron sights are all round better for defense or offense than the Aimpoint. They both appropriately point out that the Aimpoint is really helpful in shooting on the move. I grant that, but it's also real UN-helpful when the sun is coming up or going down or when we're moving from indoors to outdoors or vice versa. The dot NEVER seems to be at optimum intensity when you really need it.

Personally, I believe Aimpoints and Eotechs are great sights if your goal is to teach someone, in compressed time, to be a mediocre shooter. OTOH, my Grail sports PVS-14 Night Vision and that would be pretty damned useless without the optics. So, I really haven't much room to bitch.

The overall workmanship and dependability of the rifle has made it my go-to carbine. But I'm not certain any of us can quantify this type of thing. We trust what works well for us. The trigger is as good as a field piece might be. Accuracy of the piece for field shooting is a non-issue. The Crye MultiCam coating is a cool conversation piece, though expect it to weather with use.

Sully talked me out of the standard surefire combat light, in favor of their Scout light. It was a good call.

I swear by the Sully stocks (in their shortest possible configuration) and the QD, "tactical" loop sling is the first one I've ever used that's imminently functional without making me feel like a "warrior wannabe" when I clip into it.

Obviously, I'd not think twice about recommending the Grail for defense, class or battle.

Hope that helps-
Rich
Rich Lucibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2008, 03:08 AM   #3
Bogie

I had a rifle a few years back that had a handgun dot sight mounted so that when looking through the rear peep, you saw a nice dot that ended up at the front sight... Didn't really get in the way, but was FAST to work with...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2008, 10:35 AM   #4
Westminster

Rich-

Thanks for the helpful reply. I was also wondering, how does the addition of the light and the suppressor affect the reportedly sublime balance and muzzle rise of the Grail? And secondly, how well do you find that the Surefire muzzle brake/comp serves as a flash suppressor?

W
Westminster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2008, 04:03 PM   #5
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Westminster-
Your questions go beyond my area of pay grade. Muzzle rise on the piece is non-existent, AFAIC. But realize that I shoot lots of big bore, lightweight rifles. I'm pretty recoil proof when it comes to long guns (and equally recoil shy when it comes to handguns).

Surprisingly, given my affinity for hard hitting long guns, I lack the upper body strength of many. Thus, with the suppressor on the Grail, I WILL tire after a time. I cannot run the gun an entire class day from the "ready" position easily. Toward the end of the day, you'll see me "cheating" with the buttstock under my armpit in the ready. It's just the way I'm built. God gave Denny and Pat muscles....he gave me money and women!

Cannot tell you the Surefire muzzle brake characteristics, sans can, as I've never actually checked it out at night. That is, however, a reasonable request on your part, given the fact that I've referenced it as my go-to carbine. The piece lives where it lives without suppressor attached specifically because of the legal problems defending yourself with Class III weapons. So, I should be able to answer that question and will, the next time I have it in the field.
Rich
Old January 28, 2008, 04:46 PM   #6
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Westminster-
I have the same SureFire muzzle brake and suppressor (FA556K) on my SLR15 that Rich has on his Grail. The brake (MB556) is very efficient and is one of the few brakes I've seen that will not render anyone close to it combat ineffective. It does not work worth a darn as a flash hider, in fact one might call it a flash enhancement device.

SureFire does have a flash hider/adapter that works with their suppressors. The part number is FH556. I have not tried it personally, but from outward appearance it looks like it should work as well as the standard "birdcage" FH.

Denny
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2008, 04:46 PM   #7
Wildalaska

Quote:
he gave me money and women!
A far better thing to have than muscles

WildhaveyouhuggedyourColt1020todayAlaska ™
Wildalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2008, 02:02 PM   #8
Thumper

Quote:
A far better thing to have than muscles
None of the three are mutually exclusive.
Old February 25, 2008, 10:11 PM   #9
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

I'm a big fan of the Sully Stock, too.
Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2008, 10:32 AM   #10
FrontSight

"Money and women" !! I LOVE IT!!

Rich, would you know if the rifle on their website is built to the same specifications as the one you got (sans the accessories like lighting, optics and nv)? If so then I know where my next check is going to, and if not then I'll call them and speak to them in person and ask that they build me just like yours.

Sorry to be a copy cat, but you know what the best form of flattery is...
Old February 27, 2008, 01:52 PM   #11
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Scrap-
To my knowledge all of the Grail Rifles will be the same as mine in basics. Though I've heard that Sully may be making his own receivers in-house these days. I trust anything he and Randy put together.

No issue of "imitation" here. I didn't design the rifle; Sully did. We only spec'd the accoutrement.

Rich
Old February 27, 2008, 09:37 PM   #12
FrontSight

Rich,

I just spoke to Sully on the phone yesterday and again today, what a nice guy! I wish I could order one today, but I won't be able to get out from under all this tax accounting work until May, when I will be able to pick it up from an FFL dealer...

Thanks for the write-ups, awesome on everything as usual...