The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 6, 2002, 06:22 PM   #1
sheaman

Help on Win Mod 42 .410 Comments?

Looking to buy one of these "America's sweetheart".

Any one have any thoughts on what year, variations are best? Price points to expect?

I would also appreciate anyones input, rememberances, pros/cons.

Thank you. You all helped my buy the sweetest Win Mod 61!!

Sheaman
Old January 6, 2002, 06:45 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It won't be easy or cheap. 42s have a cult following these days, and the prices have risen like the Model 12s.

Pros, they last forever, like the 12.

Cons, they're 410s and some are 2 1/2" shells only.

I'd keep an eye on the bulletin boards at your local ranges,etc. Forget gun shows, a show special these days means an inflated price.

And check out the Browning 42. It's not quite the same, but it's nice.
Old January 6, 2002, 07:15 PM   #3
kehrby

I was fortunate enough last year to aquire on of these little beauties from an older friend of the family. Her husband passed away some years ago and she wanted someone to have his guns that would appreciate them. Who was I to turn her down. The 42 just happened to be her gun that her husband had given to her for Christmas in 1950. Anyway, in your search I too would probably not try to find one at a gun show. You will pay through the nose. You might want to try some of the gun websites like www.gunsamerica.com. They seem to have a lot of 42s from what ive seen and someone might make you a deal. As far as options go a rib would be nice but will cost you. Mine is just a plain barrel and I like it a lot. Happy hunting! I would however look for a 3 inch chamber though especially if you are going to shoot it.