The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 15, 2013, 11:52 AM   #1
dursman

Remington 597 - extra spacer left after reassembly

Hi all - first post here and I'm looking for some help.

While disassembling my 597 .22 LR for cleaning I mistakenly left the bolt open when taking the trigger assembly out of the body. After I fully pulled the trigger assembly out, the bolt snapped shut and the hold-open assembly popped off of the trigger assembly. No big deal I thought because it has come off while cleaning before and I've been able to get everything back together correctly in the past. This time, while picking up the hold-open pieces from the floor I also found another part. Pictures of the other part, which look to me like a spacer, are attached.

I cleaned and reassembled the firearm but still had this spacer left over. I haven't fired the rifle since, but I am able to move the bolt smoothly and the hold-open still works. I looked at the parts diagram in my manual and online (http://www.schiessen-erzgebirge.de/B...mingtn_597.jpg) but still can't find where this spacer goes. I've watched dis/assembly videos on Youtube and searched online. I called Remington directly, explained the situation, and essentially they said I could buy a new trigger assembly from them or take the rifle to a gunsmith and hopefully the smith could figure it out.

I installed a VQ hammer & extractor years ago but don't think they would have anything to do with this spacer. Anybody have thoughts as to what exactly this spacer is for and where it goes? Thank you in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top.jpg (65.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg side.jpg (73.0 KB, 33 views)
Old January 15, 2013, 01:26 PM   #2
5R milspec

If my son didn't have mine I would pull it apart to see if I could help.Maybe hell come home soon so I can see.Sorry for now
Old January 15, 2013, 05:39 PM   #3
olddav

go to "rimfirecentral.com", look for Remington, 597 page.
Lots of pics and useful info.
Old January 16, 2013, 02:38 PM   #4
Ifishsum

I'll take a look at mine this evening if you don't have an answer by then.
Old January 17, 2013, 09:10 AM   #5
dursman

thanks all for the replies so far... I'll also check out the rimfirecentral site.
Old January 21, 2013, 08:46 AM   #6
dursman

just to update everyone....

turns out this is a bushing/nut from the trigger linkage. Apparently it is very difficult to re-install once it comes off, but I'm going to give it a try. Worst comes to worst, I'll just call Remington support again now that I am better able to describe the issue. Thanks again.
Old February 4, 2013, 03:37 PM   #7
bsaf

So what ended up happening? I think I have the same problem but I don't know how the bushing would have came lose since all I did was take the trigger assembley off of the action. I called Remington and the guy said to try firing, which I did today and it seemed to shoot okay.
Old February 4, 2013, 05:09 PM   #8
dursman

bsaf: check out these links.....

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...hlight=linkage

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...hlight=linkage