The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 24, 2013, 02:59 AM   #1
bwood1800

Rebarrel to .280 AI

I'm being given a Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 on the one condition that I have to made into a .280 AI. Now I'm completely stupid when it comes to doing stuff like this, so I need some help help. And I don't know what caliber the rifle is right now. So what all am I going to have to do to make it a .280 AI? I'm sure i'll have to get a new barrel and rechamber. But what else will have to be done and what do you think a job like this will cost? And whats a good barrel to put on there?
Old January 24, 2013, 10:51 AM   #2
603Country

Well...look on the barrel to see what the caliber is. If it's a 30-06, a 270, a 280, or a 25-06, then all you need is a good gunsmith and a checkbook. All of the calibers I listed are from the same basic case (the 30-06) and have the action length you'll need for the 280AI. That said, maybe that rifle only came in a long action version. Anyway, you need a long action for your project. If the barrel is in 280 Remington, then the conversion is relatively inexpensive. If it's any of the other calibers, then you have the cost of the barrel and any associated work. I'm not up to speed on what it costs these days to do that, but I'll guess and say that it's going to be over $400. There are a couple of guys on the forum that can give you up-to-date pricing and that can even do the work for you. As for what after-market barrel, I'm sure any of today's known barrel makers can give you all the quality you'll ever need.

I wonder if rebarreling a pre-64 will reduce its actual value. Still, if going to 280AI is the requirement, so be it. I sure wish I had your problem.
Old February 4, 2013, 09:54 AM   #3
bwood1800

So I found out it is right now it is a .270 win. I haven't actually seen it yet cause i'm about 7000 miles away from home which is why i don't know much about it yet. My brother has it and said right now it has a pretty rough synthetic stock on it and that i would probably want to have it replaced. So any idea on good brands or where to look. I'd prefer a nice walnut stock or something like that. And anyone know any good gunsmiths?
Old February 4, 2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Scorch

7000 miles from home. Hmmm. Sounds like you are "otherwise occupied". Where is home? This will give TFL members an idea of a possible gunsmith close to your eventual destination.

As far as rebarreling from 270 to 280, a new barrel, thread/chamber/crown, reblue, and you're ready to go. As fas as a stock, there are many options.
Old February 5, 2013, 02:48 AM   #5
bwood1800

Home is back in Indiana. I travel a lot so any good gunsmiths there would work!