The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old August 3, 2001, 01:53 AM   #51
OF

I sent my snail mail subscription in on faith as soon as I heard about it. I subscribed on faith due to the quailty of TFL, my trust in your enterprise and the high hopes I have that the magazine will exceed my expectations and truly be unique. I'll tell you, with the quality of gun rags out there now, this ought to be a walk in the park for a high-roading truth-telling hype-busting TFL'er.

I'm certain you'll get a slew of subscriptions from TFL'ers out of a sense of duty to TFL, in spite of your insistance that people not as a way to pay you back. What you probably won't see, however, is a slew of re-up's at the end of year if the mag does not prove to be all we expect it to be. I just let my American Handgunner lapse after only a year...a disappointment to say the least. The one thing you can be assured of, if you get a high TFL'er-count in your subscriber base, is that you will be given absolutely no slack, basically a zero-tolerance policy for BS or soft-ball reviews or interviews. BS is a snowball in hell on TFL and your new mag is going to get the treatment, I'm sure.

- Gabe
OF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2001, 11:39 AM   #52
Frodo the Hobbit

I agree about the title. I would normally never buy a mag named SWAT. I think it needs a very well written and displayed slogan that conveys the main ideals and purpose of the magazine. Just a couple words that clears up the misconceptions the title brings.

If that is not possible, I would suggest changing the title as soon as you find a perfect one to replace it with.

My $.02

Frodo

PS Still waiting for my first issue, after which I think we can work on offering new titles or ideas. Commenting more without seeing the mag just doesn't feel right.
Frodo the Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2001, 12:48 PM   #53
Bartholomew Roberts

Well, I would have already subscribed but the city of Oklahoma City seized the allotted funds (first traffic ticket in over ten years ) so it will have to wait until I receive my rebate check from GWB.

(As a side note I was carrying... only thing the officer did different was to ask me where the gun was and say "Well, don't pull it out and we'll be OK")

One thing that does bother me about the publication is the name, to me SWAT conjures up images of "mall ninja" if you aren't an LEO.
Bartholomew Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2001, 11:04 AM   #54
PJ11B3VF7

It's the unexpected bills that hit me last month. My subscription will have to wait until later this month when I've paid those old tickets that came out of nowhere.
When you send a man out with a gun, you create a policymaker. When his ass is on the line, he will do whatever he needs to do. And if the implications of that bother you, the time to do something about it is before you decide to send him out.

David Drake

It's 4V now
PJ11B3VF7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2001, 02:54 PM   #55
Aggie

SWAT Mag Subscriptions

Rich,

As a relatively new TFL member, here are my reasons (excuses ) for not subscribing:
1) SWAT Magazine: Sounds like it's targeted to the LE community. Unitll Denny Hansen's post listing the future articles and general direction of the magazine content, I had no reason to change my mind.
2) I have not noticed it on the magazine stands that I normally use. It may be there, but I never recall seeing an issue at Eckerd's or Kroger's. Maybe I need to get out more! Anyway, I have no clue as to SWAT's previous life.
3) In light of the above and with tight money rules in force, I haven't done the deed.

After reading Denny's post, I just might dedicate the next availablge $20 to the mag. Sounds like a good deal.

Good luck all and God bless you all........

"CCW is like underwear, you wear it even if someone prefers you socially naked...especially if they do...it is never for your benefit that someone would ask you to disarm." - Oleg Volk
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2001, 07:06 AM   #56
Genso

I liked the title. It was one of the first reasons I subscribed.
Genso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2001, 07:48 AM   #57
jadams951

Ok, Ok, Ok...I finally did it. I got my subscription sent in just now over the net. Chalk another one up for you Rich!!!

Is it really going to take 6-8 weeks for my first issue?
Old August 22, 2001, 05:56 PM   #58
hube1236
Registration in progress

I just can not subscribe to a magazine called SWAT. Nothing personal and I do like cops, but I have a hard enough time within the circles I travel convincing of the fact that I won guns for they are the ultimate in responsibility and not because my pee pee is too small.

If I am small because I care about appearance, then that is my limitation, but we can't all be toothless and ponytailed.
Old August 22, 2001, 08:56 PM   #59
Derek Zeanah

I haven't subscribed mainly because of the memories I have of the magazine from my high-school years (I'm 30 now). I remember it being about the quality of Guns and Ammo, but much more wanna-be. That could be my recollection though -- if I remember correctly the only SWAT magazine I purchased featured a new 9mm suppressed AR-15-ish Colt (about 12-15 years ago, right)?

The name has something to do with it too. I buy the occasional Soldier of Fortune (a name almost as bad) because the quality of coverage they offer is worth the weirdness some of my wife's (MD) friends might feel if they saw me buying it. Reminds me that I've been meaning to subscribe...

What the hell -- I'll give SWAT a shot. I like what you've done around here Rich -- I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on the magazine.

A name change might not hurt, though. TFL wouldn't be a bad start.

"An elective despotism was not the government we fought for."
--Thomas Jefferson
Derek Zeanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2001, 04:32 AM   #60
Mikke

Why I haven't subscribed?

- Well, name is one thing. Maybe I'm to PC, or anti government or whatever, but SWAT isn't really me. I could tolerate it if the magazine is good though. But I'd really like TFL better.

- I don't think I have seen it in stores here (Sweden), or if I have I have probably not looked into it because of the name. And I'd like to have a look at what type of mag it is before I subscribe (but homepage can be enough).

As it is I have a subscription of Guns & Ammo that is running out soon. G&A isn't the best mag, but it buy it to get a look at new stuff thats coming, I have been thinking about letting the subscription drop and get something else, better instead.

The price would be higher then G&A ($37 instead of $27) for less numbers, but if the content is better it would be worth it I think.

I will see if I can find a issue here, and if I like it I will probably get a subscription.
Mikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2001, 12:50 PM   #61
dctag

SWAT

The only reason it took me so long to subscribe is because I am an inefficient lazy @$# I have bought SWAT at the newstand virtually every month since 92" but I never subscribed. Finally did the other day. I have always liked the content and the writers (I am glad Larry Flynt doesnt own it anymore). I just came across TFL the other day and like it too. I have always felt that you not only show weapons for Law Enforcement but plenty of stuff for us civilians also and I like reading about stuff even if I cant own it.
dctag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2001, 09:34 PM   #62
rkc

I work with a dozen different newstand books and several LEO books, as well as annuals.
The only books I subscribe to are SWAT American Gunsmith
and GunWeek. SWAT, well, it's obvious, and at GunWeek we are supporting the second amendment foundation. AG tells me how to fix and repair guns.

SWAT is the only one I paid for out of my own pocket.

shoot fast drive slow.
Old October 25, 2001, 02:15 AM   #63
citizen

S W A T.....

FWIW- If it were Civilian Weapons And Tactics (CWAT) I probably would have subscribed already. Seriously.

Maybe you can't tell a book by it's cover, but if you don't read it until cajoled to do so, would you??? and when?????
Life is too short for dial-up
citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2001, 06:52 PM   #64
mikotd52

Time for my thoughts,

SWAT magazine is, with out a doubt, a very distinctive magazine that caters to a very specific audience. While many bookstores and newsstands do not carry it, one only needs to speak with the manager to have the magazine put on the shelves, there is very little risk or financial involvement for them.

I must be 100% honest to see how many folks resist buying SWAT or subscribing to SWAT because it isn't geared more towards "civilian" tactics. There truly exists a very limited information source for professionals who carry weapons or are involved in martial endeavors. Organizations like the NTOA, ASLET, and IALEFI all produce commendable products, but are only available 4 times a year, are usually filled with the theories of a very few, or the profiles of someones tactical team. SWAT, by comparison, is more or less monthly and relies on the submissions by some very senior and knowledgable members of our industry who represent a whole lot more than a SWAT team on the other side of the country or some administrators concept of training.

The concept of SWAT has come along way under Mr. Hansen (from some very humble beginings) and certainly under Mr. Lucibella the publication will move foward with great gains. The efforts of both Rich and Denny, combined with the contributing authors who work to provide current, realistic, and occasionally controversial information to a wide audience.

If you haven't read SWAT, try it. Appraoch it with an open mind and see what makes it tick.

"Alles Oder Nichts"
mikotd52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2001, 08:02 AM   #65
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Wow! Thanks much.

Only your second post in three months of Membership, too! You need to post more often!
Rich
Rich Lucibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2001, 07:23 PM   #66
mikotd52

No thanks needed, I owe you alot.

Please just keep up the same high level of information, diversity, and integrity that SWAT is known for.

I do plan on contributing to this site more often, life has just been a little rough here in the low lands lately.

By the way are you or Denny planning on being at SHOT show in 2/2002 (Las Vegas)?
Old October 28, 2001, 07:56 PM   #67
BigG

At the risk of sounding iggerunt, Rich, why shouldn't we think it is a law enforcement mag with a name like SWAT? Nobody ever stopped by the house and asked me if I wanted to join the local SWAT team.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
BigG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2001, 10:29 AM   #68
mikotd52

Would you like to join a SWAT team? Are you ready to take the challenge and face the underbelly of what society has to offer?

Are you willing to place yourself in harms way for the sake of someone you don't know or for a paycheck thats not enough for the risks involved?

Are ready to seriously undertake the level of training and dedication required for the mastery of tactical skills?

Most certainly SWAT is a law enforcement oriented magazine, if the material within its pages were solely the domain of armed civilians it would be called "Amatuer". The title represents the ultimate tactical occupation found outside of the military, and bears a considerable level of honor and integrity. The material, although geared towards cops and soldiers, is relevant to anyone who has a true interest in weapons, tactics, and skill development. I really don't see the problem with the name of the magazine, it's been SWAT for years. The name has a level of recognition across the country and changing it now would provide no real value.

Would it be better to call it "Better guns and Tactics"? , "Gun Fancy", or some other touchy-feely title?

Lets be real folks, take a look at it and accept it for its value, see what it has to offer.
Old October 29, 2001, 12:04 PM   #69
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Actually, you're both right...almost. The name is a hindrance in terms of mass marketing....but we're not after a mass market. Over the past decade the term "SWAT" has come to conjure up negative feelings about no-knocks and botched midnight entries. However, this has more to do with the Federalization of local jusridictions and some of the abusive laws passed than anything else.

Given recent events, I expect QRT's will have their hands full with assignments that the public will be behind. I also expect the image of SWAT teams will be returned to it's former heights.

As for the perception that S.W.A.T. is a "cop" magazine, I can't change the perceptions of those with eyes closed. A brief glance of the current issue http://swatmagazine.com/current.htm shows exactly 3 of 12 features that are cop oriented. 0 of 11 columns. If that makes it a "cop" magazine, color me Julie of The Mod Squad!

Our December issue's cover feature is team tactics for families. Clint Smith outlines in that article what he normally teaches in a one week course. You don't even need Department Letterhead to read it!

Rich
Rich Lucibella is offline   Reply With Quote