The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 13, 2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Darker Loaf

The Wifle: The Wife-Rifle

So, I have a wife who is a beginning shooter and enthusiast. She is fairly small and weighs about 110, and has broken her wrist/hand numerous times. It took us a while to find a centerfire pistol she was comfortable racking the slide on, but a PPQ fit the bill for her well, and she now eats up the boxes of 9mm in any given shooting session.

I've had her handle many rifles (including airsoft guns), and she has always complained about the weight. I've had her handle 20 gauges, and she doesn't like the form-factor (size and weight) and the aggressive "pump" that you have to do to operate the action. She is left handed, so that could present a problem with bolt guns. She is recoil and blast adverse, so larger calibers are out. Mid-sized calibers are probably fine, pistol caliber is likely ideal. Another feature that would be nice would be a cheap caliber, so plinking. It will never be used for hunting, but could flex into home-defense. Ideally, it would weigh 6 pounds or less (hopefully, closer to 4 lbs).

I've got a .22 LR 10-22 that's mine that she can shoot .22 LR with, but I'd like to find a centerfire gun that would work well for her so it can flex into that home-defense role, if needed.
Old December 13, 2012, 06:26 PM   #2
pax

You'll love this: find out how she'd feel about an AR-15 with a short, adjustable stock.

Lightweight gun with little recoil, no real blast (plenty of noise), enough of a punch, inexpensive plinking caliber.

If it looks "too scary" for her at first, look into colored furniture.

pax
Old December 13, 2012, 06:30 PM   #3
pabuckslayer08

Tikka T3 light in .223 would be one I would check out, very light for a centerfire, not outrageous on price, and a very quality gun as well
Old December 13, 2012, 06:46 PM   #4
tulsamal

Pax is right, hard to beat an AR-15 here. You could get one in a pistol caliber as well. Get a dedicated upper for .22 LR to add to the flexibility.

Gregg
Old December 13, 2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Venom1956

Loaf, gasp don't you HAVE an AR15?! ZOMG!
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old December 13, 2012, 07:30 PM   #6
Scorch

For a second there, I thought the OP was Elmer Fudd.

Since the wife is a lefty, I would not recommend an AR15 in 223/5.56. Hot brass down the shirt front will likely discourage her. I would recommend an AR57 in 5.7, it ejects out the bottom. Or a bolt gun in 223, if she is so inclined.
Old December 13, 2012, 07:53 PM   #7
Nine the Ranger

Maybe a Kel-Tec Sub2000? Or a Hi-Point Carbine?

Pistol caliber and 4-5 pounds (for the Kel-Tec at least)
Old December 13, 2012, 07:56 PM   #8
jmortimer

Mini 14
Old December 13, 2012, 08:21 PM   #9
Buffalo Wing

If the AR-15 seems like a good idea, Stag makes left-handed models for the exact same price as their normal/right-handed models.
Old December 13, 2012, 08:29 PM   #10
tulsamal

Somehow the 10% of the Army personnel that are left-handed manage to train and qualify with the M16. The modern versions with the integral brass deflector make it easier. When I went through Basic Training the lefties were issued these plastic things that snapped on the side of the rifle. But that's pre-M16A2.

Gregg
Old December 13, 2012, 08:55 PM   #11
MarkCO

The AR-15 is not a bad suggestion at all. With a Cavalry arms lower, you can get these down to 5 pounds.

Other options to consider that are a little more unique are the Excel Arms rifles. They make .22 Mag, 5.7x28 and .30 Carbine in a light handy carbine. The X-Series are the 5.7x28 and .30 Carbine. .30 Carbine ammo is inexpensive and the mags are plentiful. The new Speer Gold Dot round is a very nicely updated round.

http://www.excelarms.com/rifles/xseriesrifle.html

Kahr/Auto Ordinance is also making an updated .30 Carbine.
Old December 13, 2012, 09:13 PM   #12
pax

Here's what I mean...

http://olegvolk.net/gallery/friendsa...s0511.jpg.html

or this: http://olegvolk.net/gallery/friendsa..._4476.jpg.html

pax
Old December 13, 2012, 09:14 PM   #13
chris in va

My GF loved my HiPoint 9mm carbine. Absurdly light and very manageable. Unfortunately it broke four times.

If you happen to have a 1911 or Glock, look at a MechTech upper.

The AR suggestion is good too, provided it isn't all tactical'ed up.
Old December 13, 2012, 09:20 PM   #14
dyl

I vote AR-15 also: from the perspective of a newcomer to them. I tried a good friend of mine's a couple months ago for the first time.

Until that point I'd shot the following long guns: 410 guage, 12 guage (target loads, buckshot, turkey loads, slugs), .50 cal muzzle loader, Ruger 10-22, CZ452.

I couldn't believe how light the recoil was. There is really no need for a rubber butt-pad. Felt like I was cheating since it didn't hurt. And I thought all those commandos on TV were macho
Old December 13, 2012, 09:46 PM   #15
MarkCO

I am pretty sure MGTs has these on sale right now...

http://machineguntours.com/firearms/...-armsfirebird/

They have sold several of them, most to women and youth. Under 1 MOA, 5 pounds.
Old December 14, 2012, 11:21 AM   #16
sc928porsche

Dont get her an M1 carbine. If you do, you will have to get her a ruger blackhawk to go with it
Old December 14, 2012, 01:01 PM   #17
Kimio

What about an SKS in a polymer stock? I've never fired one before, so I can't say much about recoil. If it's anything like an AK, then the recoil isn't terrible compared to an AR. Maybe an Mini 14? Just tossing some ideas out there.

Good luck.
Old December 14, 2012, 01:06 PM   #18
taylorce1

The Kel-Tec Sub 2000 have been hard to find lately and I'd love to get a 9mm for my wife as well. When I find the Sub 2000's they have been going for far more money than I'm willng to pay for a plinking carbine for my wife. I don't know how the brass ejects on the Kel-Tec SU16 but they can be had for less than $400 still, and it looks like a handy little rifle.

I'd buy one for myself as my wife doesn't need it. She keeps her GP100 .357 in the nighstand, and her Colt AR15 in the closet, and she packs a PX4 SC 9mm for her CCW.
Old December 14, 2012, 01:54 PM   #19
BoomieMCT

Get an AR-15 with a New Frontier Armory lower (with six position stock) and a lightweight (pencil barrel?) upper. If recoil is too bad (it shouldn't be) get a Ranier Arms RMC compensator.
Old December 14, 2012, 02:03 PM   #20
Strafer Gott

The NRA commerative mini 14 I have has the overmolded Hogue stock.
You can save about 300 bucks by just getting a stock 581 and put the stock on yourself. Light and smooth with decent accuracy, this little guy is like a grown up 10-22. I like it!
Old December 14, 2012, 04:31 PM   #21
4V50 Gary
Staff

AR. Collapsable stock will fit her better. Short, carbine length barrel will keep it light. Doesn't take much to pull the charging handle.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:58 AM   #22
warbirdlover

Years ago I had a beautiful Browning A-Bolt Micro-Medallion in 7mm-08 with the walnut stock with maple(?) forend. The stock was on the short side for me but I made do. PERFECT deer rifle. I sold it to a friend at work for his wife. She would kill you before she would ever get rid of that rifle. If Browning makes something equivalent now I would consider that. Well made, accurate rifles. Dumbest move I ever made, selling that rifle. Here is the X-Bolt micro hunter in LEFT HAND.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=035&tid=257
Old December 15, 2012, 11:25 AM   #23
ripnbst

I like the AR ideas. I agree its a good option. Another option would be a lever action. They are pretty lefty friendly.
Old December 15, 2012, 02:03 PM   #24
Darker Loaf

Thanks for the ideas and the response. I think that she'd be less turned off by a left-handed AR. I think the ejecting brass would be an issue for her, a turn off from shooting.

Venom is right! I do own an AR15, but the thing is it is a RRA Elite Operator 2, so it's starting weight was round 8 lbs. I lightened it up a bit by swapping so of the parts out, but it still probably weighs some where around 8 lbs with the scope. To cut the to chase: it definitely seems awkward in her hands and she doesn't like holding it.

I dunno. Maybe Stag Arms makes an AR-15 in a left model light enough for her. They don't list their stats, but their most basic model seems like it could be light enough. The RRA's Left-T models seem too heavy.

What I'm looking for is more around the 4-6 lb mark, like I said. I just had her handle my carbon fiber barreled, troy-chassis 10-22, which probably weighs somewhere around the 5+ lb mark. It was right on the border for her, but she'd shoot it fine.

What I just looked into as I read your posts and thought about everything, is the Beretta Cx4 Storm in 9mm. It weighs 5.75 lbs, and so might just barely be light enough. Also a plus, all the controls are ambi or swappable and so is the ejection port! Does anybody have experience with the gun?
Old December 15, 2012, 02:04 PM   #25
Darker Loaf

The left-handed Browning is pretty cool, and about the right weight, by the way. That's a good option for a bolt gun.