The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2009, 12:30 PM   #1
troy_mclure

bp in 7.62x39?

ive been perusing the internet on shooting forums lately, and i saw something that caught my eye.
a guy was talking about how he loaded a batch of 7.63x39 with black powder and fired a bunch of mags(number was not stated) with no jamming.

the thread was closed due to flamage of the guy for misusing an AK.

but would this be possible? i know that bp is corrosive, and leaves huge deposits. but its an AK, it will eat any thing right?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 1, 2009, 12:43 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

More importantly, the acidic sulfur radicals in the moisture absorbent black powder residue will eat anything. Figure your gas system will be weakened and/or rot out if you don't get every trace of that fouling out with soap and boiling water. I can't imagine it's worth the trouble and expense to find that out the hard way.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 1, 2009, 03:21 PM   #3
totalloser

I agree that it's probably a bad idea, but think it's a shame the thread was closed. Knowledge is rarely a hindrance. Black powder does have one unique attribute; It can be made at home.
Old March 1, 2009, 03:48 PM   #4
troy_mclure

i think that was the reason the guy did it as a way to keep shooting if powder is unavailable.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 1, 2009, 05:37 PM   #5
45Marlin carbine

he has been reading 'The Guns of Dixie'.
don't do it. you'll have enuff trouble loading the X39 w/modern powders.
Old March 1, 2009, 08:24 PM   #6
1goodshot

If my life depended on it and I had no other choice I might try something like that but it sounds like a really bad idea to me.
Old March 1, 2009, 10:23 PM   #7
Sevens

Do you suppose the guy was using a black powder substitute and thus was not opening up himself to all those associated problems, and merely handicapping himself with very low power for the same amount of money spent, all in the name of making more smoke and simply trying to do something different?

Or does Pyrodex and the like all leave the corrosive, acidic crap behind, too?

Can you tell I'm not a BP guy?!