The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 27, 2001, 07:30 PM   #1
fed168

I have already posted my question in the rifle forum with no response. I ask again, but more specifically:
1) How do I remove a paint job from a wood stock, somewhat thick and pebbley?

2) Where can I find a manual on the Vz 52? Also, ammo for it (7.62x45)?

3) Instructions for checking the headspace and overall care for the Enfield?
Old January 28, 2001, 07:04 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

fed168
It sounds like your stock has been refinised previously. You mentioned "thick & bubbly" This indicates to me it is not a linseed oil finish. It would also indicate to me that it possibly may have been in a fire.

to remove the finish. There is a finish remover, get it at ACE hdwre, called "Red Devil. It comes in a spirit form or gel. I found that the gel works well and does not raise the nap of the wood. It may take several applications but it will get the job done. Follow the instructions on the can. Brownells also has excellant finish removers.

It would seem that you could get the ammo at a gun show or gun shop that sells ammo. Have you tried the reloading section of TFL for the ammo question?

As far as checking the head space, a good "Smith" would be able to check that for you. It takes special gauges and if you are not versed in the procedure have it donel.

HJN
Old January 28, 2001, 08:38 AM   #3
fed168

Thanks Harley. I checked the Old Western Scrounger and found dies ($93.00) and loaded ammo for the Vz. The caliber was Czech only, as far I as I found, and not really issued for a long time.
In regards to the rifle, the stock was finished by persons unknown, in an attempt to "sporterize" the rifle as many surplus guns have been modified. The bluing and finish are still in pretty good shape.
Thanks for the help.
Old October 16, 2011, 07:20 PM   #4
AirborneMosinFan

I know this is old but..

You can get a manual for the vz 52 on buymilsurp.com