The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 1, 1999, 07:26 PM   #1
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

I hope someone here can help. Neither the maker nor the NRA nor anyone I've asked knows the answer. I have a CZ 75 purchased in the mid to later 80's. It is in the crummy little cardboard box they used to come in. It has the black enamel finish as well as the old plastic CZ stocks. It is clearly marked "CZ 75" on the slide but says, "Made in Switzerland" and has "Solothurn" above. It is not a Sphinx nor any clone. The best I've been able to figure, there was a deal made with Solothurn to make these pistols and it fell through. Other than that, I'm stymied.
Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old May 2, 1999, 06:56 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Stephen:
Are there any markings on the receiver?

HJN
Old May 2, 1999, 07:19 AM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Stephen:
According to my records the CZ75 was copied by:

Britain, (Spitfire Mk2, Sohn Slough Ltd (JSL)Hereford. 9mm Parabellum or 40 S&W. A modification of the CZ75.

Italy GT 90 (also known as Tanarmi TA90) Gluseppe Tanfoglio, Gadone Val Trompia. 9mm Parabellum.

Switzerland AT 84P International Technology & Machines AG (ITM now part of Sphinx Industries) Solothurn. This pistol is based on the CZ75. The AT 84S is similar, but larger.

I hope this has been of help to you.

HJN

The commercial version has plastic grips, but military patterns are usually wooden. Spur or ring hammers may be encountered.

Old May 2, 1999, 08:18 AM   #4
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, but it is not an AT-84 and was made before the Sphinx. I'm sure it was made, as you mention, by Swiss industry as "Made in Switzerland" and "Solothurn" are on the slide. The slide is also marked CZ 75 and it has the same ser#s on slide, barrel, and frame. It came in a CZ 75 box with same ser# on box and test target. It's a genuine CZ as I know the difference between the weapons you mentioned. It has the old spur hammer as well. Thanks for your help.
Old May 2, 1999, 09:19 AM   #5
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Based upon your findings on the slide, barrel and receiver, indicating CZ75 I would look closly at the stamps. Are they from the same stamp? It could be that it may be a fake. If the marks look the same, they could still be a fake.

Are the indentations the same on all parts?
Inconsistency in depth would indicate someone else or a different machine put them there.

My reasoning behind this is IF the NRA doesn't have the information, and the Company that makes the pistol does not eiter, then the question comes to light:

Is this pistol mfg'd as you have it in your posession, or did someone put the gun together by combining the CZ and the Swiss parts? Thus creating a firearm that would be considered rare, or one that is hard to trace.

As indicated in my first response, you may want to check with the Brit and Italian mfg's they may be able to help you.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited May 02, 1999).]
Old May 2, 1999, 11:04 AM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't know about that particular gun, but when the US banned imports from "Iron Curtain" countries, some odd deals were made. I seem to recall that some CZ pistols were shipped to Switzerland for assembly so they could be marked "Made in Switzerland" and be importable into the US.

For what my fading memory is worth.

Jim
Old May 2, 1999, 12:45 PM   #7
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Jim:
That sounds feasable, unless it is of a vintage like the "left Handed" revolver I identified some months back.

HJN
Old May 2, 1999, 02:25 PM   #8
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, guys. It's not a fake. CZ does have the serial number and said that it was originally sold to some sports conglomerate in W. Germany. From there, they don't know. They simply didn't have the records available to indicate where the gun was made. Most were, of course, made in Cechozlovakia, but not at the same place. (I cannot remember the two locations although I have two other CZs made at each of the two locations.) The question is not whether or not it's a CZ; it is. If you could see it, you'd agree. I'm just trying to figure out the reason the frame was made in Switzerland. Oh, well. It is a puzzlement. Thanks.
Old May 2, 1999, 06:24 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Stephen Camp: Humbly suggest you write CZ in CZ, not CZ-USA. They're pretty receptive and may be able to shed light on this mystery gun.
Old May 2, 1999, 08:18 PM   #10
GLV

It is a CZ 75 made by Solothurn. Frank James, the writer, did a review on one many years ago, and I shot it while he had it at one of our machine gun shoots. Nothing more to it really. A small number were imported. GLV
Old May 2, 1999, 09:08 PM   #11
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Thank you so much. I didn't know whether or not to shoot as I didn't know if it was a "collector's item" or not. I knew it was a CZ, but didn't know the details other than it was definitely made by the Swiss. Probably, won't shoot it anyway as I have 4 more that are made in the "usual" country. Thanks again.