The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 24, 2014, 09:02 AM   #26
full case load

JohnKSa, I just had to get it out. I do experience the "three clicks" upon releasing the trigger and after the second click the trigger will bind upon applying pressure. This "bind" feels more solid than the bind I get when shooting. This could very well be subjective as I was trying for this bind and the bind when shooting comes as a surprise. (see? I can get technical too.) Also at the range when this happens, some very negative thoughts come to mind which probably block out objective observations. I said in an earlier post it first happened inside of a 100 rounds and I was thinking within the 1st two boxes boxes of 50. It very well could have been inside the first 40 rounds @ the size of today's boxes. I have not been able to duplicate while dry firing.
Old August 24, 2014, 05:50 PM   #27
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
This "bind" feels more solid than the bind I get when shooting.
Yes, it's a "full stop" sort of bind and absolutely nothing happens until you release and pull again.

What you describe from this most recent test all sounds perfectly normal.

It is possible in my SP101 to get the cylinder to advance without firing the gun by releasing all three clicks but not letting the trigger go fully forward. It's tricky to do, but from that position, pulling the trigger advances the cylinder but doesn't activate the hammer. But doing that doesn't result in anything that could be remotely described as a bind. In fact, the trigger moves much more easily than normal when that happens.
Old August 25, 2014, 08:16 AM   #28
full case load

I was able to duplicate what you described. Though conditions are very similar, the trigger still moves. During my "binds" the trigger acts more like after the second release click, however at that point the cylinder has not moved yet. I'm not sure when I'll get back to the range, but I now have more to compare to if and when it happens again. Thanks
Old August 25, 2014, 01:42 PM   #29
chupps

I had a problem with my cylinder binding on my new GP100. Right out of the box I fired 3 shots and I couldn't pull the trigger on the 4th round. Sent it to Ruger and I got it back a week later, no charge to me. Ruger polished some internal parts and replaced the pawl. Works great now.
Old August 31, 2014, 01:26 PM   #30
Pezo

I had this issue with a gp100. Found it to be out of spec remington .38 lswchp ammo. Two boxes out of about six had case rims thicker than normal. Sporadically in the boxes as well. It was as if the tool that cuts the rim messed up and left an extra "step" in the rim. It was worse in this particular gp100 (I have a few different revolvers) than the others do to head space tolerance between the rear of the cylinder and the recoil shield. Keep and check the cartridge casings and compare. When the out of spec rounds were in the cylinder. I could not see light through. When the normal ones were in there was a gap.
Old August 31, 2014, 02:04 PM   #31
EvilE

I think it was the ammo I was using. Cause I changed ammo after that and it ran fine. I can't have a CCW that ammo picky, I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying it. If something bad goes down I need reliability!
So I traded it
Old September 10, 2014, 07:58 AM   #32
44 AMP
Staff

Probably a different issue, but something to consider....

A friend brought me one of these guns a while back, belonged to another friend, and wasn't working right, so my friend suggest having me check it out.

Cylinder was binding, bad. Gun could only be cocked SA if you assisted it by also turning the cylinder by hand (very stiff), and could not be worked DA.

The cylinder opened and closed normally. Checked it over, nothing seemed bent or broken. Checked under the extractor, all was normal, and essentially clean.

HOWEVER, further checking, I found the Cylinder would not spin freely, with the action open. The cylinder "axle" was solid black. (gun was stainless).

A good cleaning returned the gun to full, normal operation. Gun had no obvious wear, so no clue how many rounds had been fired, but enough, apparently to gum up the cylinder in a spot not usually cleaned by those who are not "gun people" (as apparently the owner wasn't).

I'm not saying this is the trouble with the one you've got, but have you made certain there isn't a chunk of crud floating around inside the lockwork anywhere?
Old September 10, 2014, 08:20 AM   #33
EvilE

See post# 31