The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 31, 2010, 12:20 PM   #1
weix11

Hunting with Dogs

Hey guys, I was wondering whether any of you hunt with dogs. I'm talking about hunting upland game (pheasant, quail, chukar) and waterfowl. What has been your experiences hunting with dogs? Do they provide more advantages or can they be a disadvantage? Is a dog really required for waterfowl hunting?

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks
Old May 31, 2010, 12:23 PM   #2
animal

Quote:
Is a dog really required for waterfowl hunting?
not if you have kids ...
Old May 31, 2010, 01:01 PM   #3
Scrapperz

A well trained dog or dogs can yield you more game than you can eat. I got the satisfaction of watching my dogs have the time of their life doing what they would normally do in the wild, but in a domesticated state. I had many years of good hunting with family and dogs for such game as rabbit, pheasant, grouse, quail, and woodcock. I've hunted with a family of Beagles, Beagle Hound mix's, and Shar-pei mix's, all have their own style of communicating with you while doing what they do best. Training and bonding is very important for successful hunting relationship. Get them young and train them early.
Old May 31, 2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Buzzcook

Dogs are better hunters than any human ever will be. The advantages to hunting with a dog out weigh the disadvantages.

It is possible to hunt water fowl without a dog. If you have a boat or if you shoot the ducks when their above dry land. Geese are often in fields rather than on or over water so that's not a big problem.

We just got a beagle mix. I'm already planning on going for pheasant. That is if my wife will let her baby go ;-)
Old May 31, 2010, 02:26 PM   #5
Pahoo

It really all comes together when hunting with dogs. I have hunted upland with German Shorthairs and Brits and what a treat. There are times when watching a good dog work, is mezmorizing. Another advantage is that they are capable of watching cripples fly, land and off they go to find it where you woud not have a chance of doing so, on your own. I have seen them back-track and find birds that got behind you. I have also hunting CottonTails, in a deep snow, with Beagles and that too is joy to witness. A good dogs knows the game better than you and will serve you well even when hurt. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old May 31, 2010, 02:32 PM   #6
TX Hunter

Well I dont hunt any birds with dogs, but do hunt Racoon, Squirrel, and ocasionally Wild Boar with Dogs.
Old May 31, 2010, 02:50 PM   #7
gspman

It depends on if you are a dog person.Also if your wife is a dog person .I have two german shorthairs that go every time i go somewhere they can go.They are Are very enjoyable to us because they are part of the family.I would leave my shotgun home before i would leave my dogs home.I Do quite abit of bird hunting with them but still is a small percentage of the time they require from me in care.They need to run and exercise to stay in shape.Bird hunting is so exciting when the dog gets on a scent and tracks a rooster pheasant over hill and dale and finaly pins it with a solid point.Then of course i do my part and miss it when it flushes.I dont know how i found birds without a dog before.You will definetly find more birds with a good dog.To me bird hunting is all about watching the dog do what comes natural to them and with good obedience it is just fantastic to watch.Comes back to my original ??? are you a dog person.oh and quail is a dirty word at our house.If dogs hear us say it they get all excited.I have always enjoyed being with a dog.Grew up with german shorthairs and now have them but had a lab that was fantastic great family dog and got so i could read her as well as a pointer.Research types of dogs. Pheasant quail and chucker it is hard to beat a gsp.Hope this helps answer your ????. gspman
Old May 31, 2010, 03:46 PM   #8
Pahoo

Quote:
Well I dont hunt any birds with dogs, but do hunt Racoon, Squirrel, and ocasionally Wild Boar with Dogs.
It's all the same to me, just different tactics and equipment. The point is that no matter what you are hunting, a well trained dog will work his @ss off for you and do it's best to please you. I also know that dog breeds can cross train to what you hunt. One of best coon dogs I ever saw, was a German Shepard. I also trained the Daugher's Yorkie to stalk and point Meadow Larks. Kind of a goofy point but it's a point. Just let them know what you want, train them and step aside. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old May 31, 2010, 03:55 PM   #9
22-rimfire

Hunting with dogs makes for a much better (and productive) hunting experience. It is quite an investment in time training them, but it is worth it. Used to rabbit hunt with dogs and I loved watching the dogs work. Same applies to bird hunting. With ducks, it's mostly retrieving.
Old May 31, 2010, 07:17 PM   #10
mitchell koster

Makes it easier.

I have a hungerian vizla and he often sees animals before I do. They're amazing hunters and the exitment of the hunt they love. When they bring things back they seem quite proud of them selves.

Stay safe.

MK
Old May 31, 2010, 07:40 PM   #11
James R. Burke

I had a German Shorthair Pointer for twelve years. Great dog, but not for everyone. There are many good breeds for hunting. The G.S.P. takes alot of exersize and is very hyper. On the good side they are a non stop hunting dog. I never seen so many birds till I got a dog, and recovered all of them. Now without him I know I am losing a few. He was a great hunting dog, and friend. But that bred like I said is not for everyone. You need to be doing lots of hunting. Sure do miss him. Buried him were we got our first bird with the hat I was wearing. There is no doubt you will see more birds with a dog. But take your time on picking the breed you want. They also need to trained for what you want them to do. I got lucky and mine was easy to teach.
Old May 31, 2010, 07:43 PM   #12
B. Lahey

A good dog can make hunting birds and small game much easier. A bad hunting dog does not help, but can add another element of entertainment as you watch the dog owner/trainer's increasing frustration and rage. You should make fun of him when this happens, of course.

Hunting birds and rabbits without dogs can be done. It depends on the area how hard it is, but tradition dictates that the youngest member of the hunting party is designated as "the dog" and must bust brush hoping to scare critters in the right direction. This is a flushing game, human dogs make terrible pointers.

I have been the dog many times. Always, it seemed, when we were hunting moist thorny jungles of scrubby biting-insect infested bog. It's a real workout, be sure to make your kids do it at least a few times.
Old May 31, 2010, 08:21 PM   #13
Fat White Boy

If the dog is capable, you will find and not lose more birds. I have seen some good dogs and a few bad ones. Most of the bad ones were named,

"Comebackyoudumbsonuvabitch!"
Old June 1, 2010, 08:52 PM   #14
LSnSC

I cant imagine hunting birds or waterfowl of any kind without one. The best part of the hunt is watching the dogs work.
Old June 2, 2010, 10:18 AM   #15
Wisent

hunting with dogs

Hello weix11,

hunting birds and waterfowl with a well trained dog is quite wonderful. Between 1976 and 1987 I had rented a hunting ground together with my father and we had so much fun and nice experiences when hunting pheasants, ducks and gray partridge behind the dog. Dogs normally smell the bird so much earlier than a human beeing even can see - and then the way of pointing.
It's a very special kind of hunting and I like it most when done with one or two dogs and only three or four hunting buddies on a September afternoon.
Ojh, I forgot - without a good dog it is impossible to get a brown hare out of the sugar beets.
Not to forget: In Germany a hunter is obliged by law to have a special trained gun dof, na matter, what he hunts, the dog hast to be available in case there should be any wounded game to search for.

Best regards

Wisent
" to ride, shoot straight and speak the truth !"
Old June 2, 2010, 09:30 PM   #16
markj

Learned everything about hunting from my dog as a young boy. Have 4 now we hunt over, my son is training his pup too. Nothing beats a good dog in the field.
Old June 3, 2010, 08:29 AM   #17
CajunBass

I love to hunt deer with dogs. Nothing like hearing a pack of Walkers hit first thing in the morning.

BUT. They have to be somebody elses dogs. I am not a "pet" person.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old June 3, 2010, 10:29 AM   #18
roy reali

Conservation Tools

Dogs also help find birds that you drop. This is espically helpful when hunting smaller birds like quail. Leaving game behind because you can't find it is a waste.
Old June 3, 2010, 08:47 PM   #19
FALshootist

Watching a good German shorthair pointer work birds is worth the price of admission even if you never take a shot. Although once those dogs point, after all that hard work, they are liable to take a bite (and it won't be on the game) if you don't take a shot or if you do and miss.
Old June 3, 2010, 09:22 PM   #20
TX Hunter

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/plotthoundphotos.htm

MR Wisent Here is a breed of hunting dog, very popular here in the United States that originated in Germany. Its called the Plott Hound.
I have hunted with them for Hogs and Coon.
Very nice hounds.
Old June 4, 2010, 04:59 PM   #21
HuntinVa

Quote:
I love to hunt deer with dogs. Nothing like hearing a pack of Walkers hit first thing in the morning.

I second this. Its a shame so many people who haven't tried it want to knock it.

I am training my german short hair to run deer. She doesn't bark yet but she definately can jump them. For the kind of places i hunt she is perfect she jumps them runs them for 100 yards or so then comes back to me and we start over. The best part is she is in the truck ready to roll whenever I am no tracking dogs into the middle of the night.
Old June 4, 2010, 06:46 PM   #22
Doyle

I would dearly love to have a lab again that I could hunt ducks with. Unfortunately, here in Florida you would never even attempt to use a dog to retrieve waterfowl. The chances of them surviving even one season without getting eaten by a gator would be slim at best.
Old June 5, 2010, 06:55 PM   #23
rikasam

I have had labs for almost 20 years now. Thay are almost as essential for me as a shotgun. Waterfowl, doves, quail, pheasant, chukkar, huns ....even bunnies. Nothing like seeing a long retrieve of a duck from out of the snake river or finding a quail that dropped in a nasty patch of brush.
Old June 5, 2010, 08:03 PM   #24
clemsonbloz

absolutely love deer hunting with dogs..

won't do it any other way...
Old June 9, 2010, 09:45 AM   #25
Wisent

TX Hunter

Hello Mr. TX Hunter,

thank you very much for your kind words and the information, I can very well imagine these dogs are quite "the right breed" for this kind of hunting.
Always good shooting
Waidmannsheil and
best regards from Germany

Wisent
" to ride, shoot straight and speak the truth !"

Tags
dogs , flush , retriever , upland , waterfowl