The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 23, 2013, 05:50 PM   #1
CurlyQ.Howard

Purchasing Magazines from Europe

Is it legal to purchase magazines for my gun (legal in America) from a nation in Europe? Thanks.
Old January 23, 2013, 06:40 PM   #2
Sharpsdressed Man

We have trade sanctions against military goods from Russia, not sure of any other European nations, and no federal mag bans......yet........
Old January 23, 2013, 07:32 PM   #3
CurlyQ.Howard

It's not Russia, so at least that isn't a problem.
Old January 23, 2013, 07:33 PM   #4
Rmart30

Surely the European company selling them would know.... buying overseas may be a option at this time and avoid the backlog here.
Old January 23, 2013, 07:44 PM   #5
jonnyc

Mags are restricted in a few European countries and most dealers there will not ship them here. I know a few of us have tried to get Beretta Model 70 mags for years with no luck.
Old January 24, 2013, 02:32 AM   #6
Pond, James Pond

I would be asking which ever department in your country deals with customs and excise. Being outside the US, you may need an import licence.

This would probably be more to do with the Euro company then having the paperwork needed to allow their goods to leave the EU, particularly it being a firearms related.

Or it could be really straight forward: you could call the company and asking what red-tape stands in the way of an overseas shipment.
Old January 24, 2013, 03:49 AM   #7
Aaron1100us

I just boughy these from rusmilitary.com. They are located in the UK. Russian AK47 mags straight from the Izhmash Factory in Russia to rusmilitary in the UK.

uploadfromtaptalk1359017266658.jpg

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2
Old January 24, 2013, 08:48 PM   #8
Walt Sherrill

You aren't likely to get in trouble for buying pistol magazines (or a wide variety of other parts, not considered "firearms") from overseas, but the person doing the selling has to know the laws and pay the export duties, if there are any.

I needed a magazine for a Sphinx pistol, once, and learned that Switzerland won't let the company export magazines -- they are a restricted item. Sphinx sent me one of the springs I needed, free -- even though I wasn't the original buyer. Exporters can often legally get around those restrictions, by getting certain types of licenses or approval documents, but the average person is often just out of luck.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:53 PM   #9
CurlyQ.Howard

Thanks for all the replies to my question. Obviously, I wish that the magazines were available (now) in America. Maybe it will happen sooner than I think. If not, Europe here I come.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:29 AM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

Be very, VERY careful about importing or exporting any firearm parts or accessories.

You can be held fully responsible for complying with the laws in both countries involved.

Do NOT assume that just because you are violating no U.S. laws that you are home free, and do not assume that just because you can legally own the item that you are breaking no U.S. laws by importing it.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:58 PM   #11
CurlyQ.Howard

Thanks for that bit of information. As of now, I'll skip importing magazines.