The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 26, 2009, 05:20 PM   #1
bluebox

Knoxx Specops 870 help

Help!

I just purchased a Knoxx Specops stock for a 870 but I'm having a hard time installing it. The metal screw only goes in 1/8 of the way in, if that. Its very difficult to screw in, almost feels as if the bolt is larger. In either case I'm afraid of damaging the threads. Is there something I'm missing? I couldn't find where anyone else had any trouble installing this? Seems very easy and straight foward.
Old September 26, 2009, 09:30 PM   #2
Technosavant

It's just something that takes some effort to screw in. Make sure the hole and screw threads are clean. Then, before beginning to tighten anything as you mate them together, "unscrew" (yeah, it isn't actually screwed in yet, but work with me here) the screw until you feel the threads bump- that's the things lining up so you won't crossthread it. Then, just tighten it; I think I eventually had to use pliers on the short leg of the allen wrench. You'll know when it's done being obstinate and is actually tight.
Old September 27, 2009, 09:13 PM   #3
bluebox

Do all 870's use the same bolt? I just purchased my Remington a month ago, maybe something changed? just seems like I wont be able to remove it ever again if i use that much force.
Old September 27, 2009, 09:19 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Take the bolt out of the stock and try threading it... Then, if it went, look closely at your angle and try again. Compare the 2 bolts and if the same length use the original. Also verify the threads are same pitch and width.
Brent
Old September 28, 2009, 10:37 PM   #5
Shpadoinkel

I assume you took out the metal spacer as instructed?

I put an 870 Knoxx on my Pardner Protector (870 clone). Installation took all of 5 minutes and fit like a glove, no threading issues whatsoever. I'd be amazed if the stock fit better on a clone gun than on the gun that it was actually intended for.

Only thing I could think is you didn't remove the metal spacer. If you have... I don't know what's going on.
You shouldn't have to force it at all. If you're hitting more resistance than you think necessary, something is up. I seriously doubt the newer 870's are using a different bolt.

Tags
870 , knoxx