The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 23, 2010, 10:19 PM   #101
Smokin_Gun

Jus' got two comments...
1) Always back off the trigger/bolt spring screw before cocking a brand new out of the box any revolver about 1/8 of a turn. Then you won't score the cylinder...then adjust to your likin'.

2) I wouldn't have one ROA either ... I had to have two ROAs one in Blued steel and one in Stainless.
Ruger Old Armys are a 20th Century Original not a 20th or 21st Century Reproduction. Also one of the best dang C&B or Converted Revs made.

Even though I still favor an 1861 Remington Old Army .44 or and 1858 New Model Army .44 :O)
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old May 24, 2010, 07:24 AM   #102
RemTim

Quote:
lways back off the trigger/bolt spring screw before cocking a brand new out of the box any revolver about 1/8 of a turn. Then you won't score the cylinder...then adjust to your likin'.
So that's how you do it. Would thread lock be better to lock the screw in place or does it not have a tenancy to back off?
Old May 24, 2010, 12:19 PM   #103
Smokin_Gun

That trigger/bolt stop spring screw ain't goin' no place and should easily remain where you set it.
Alot of Revs come to us with that screw and others way too tight...it jus' needs to be barely snug as do the rest of the screws so as ya don't strip the heads even with a real good screwdriver.
Old May 24, 2010, 11:11 PM   #104
RemTim

Cool, So I think I am going with the Belgian blue on both of my revolvers, then keep the screw under less tension. and they will stay purdy. I love it! Thanks, Smokin_Gun!!
Old May 24, 2010, 11:38 PM   #105
Smokin_Gun

Jus' make sure it don't get back off too far as it don't lock up ...I doubt it that will happen and I'm sure you'll set er up jus' fine. Should not need to be more than and 1/8 or a 1/16 of a turn back and you see when it hits the cylinder just right(not hard and not too lite) that's where you'll leave it...

Deburring and polishin' up the innards without removing material smooths up the action alot.
The more ya shoot any of these Revs allows you a kitchen table Gunsmith's Course everytime you clean one...Next thing ya know you had a degree as a Kitchen Table Gunsmith Novice, Intermediate, ... and Pro maybe after a lifetime of learning.
Myself I'm stayin' at Intermediate so I can keep learnin' and live longer. At the rate I'm goin' I'm doin' pretty good...but them hard on the body years keep catchin' up to me and catch me off guard.
I gotta keep learnin' so I can keep a shootin'...

Last edited by Smokin_Gun; May 25, 2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old May 25, 2010, 12:00 AM   #106
RemTim

I actually thought there was more too it that that. That's so simple even I could do that!!

Tags
1858 , bolt , cylinder , pietta , uberti