The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 19, 2001, 12:00 PM   #1
stephen_g22

Hunting Trip Results

Just returned from my hunt in Eden, Tx. Had a great trip. I took a co-worker who had never been deer hunting. He is a big duck, goose and dove hunter but had never tried deer hunting.

When we got to the ranch I had him shoot a Dairy Queen cup at 120 paces to make sure he was comfortable with my .243 and could hit what he aimed at. He center punched the cup so I figured he would be okay with a deer.

That afternoon a doe came to the stand and my co-worker got the first deer buck fever in a big way. He immediately wanted the rifle to take a shot at the doe. I convinced him to wait to see if anything else would show up. About 15 minutes later a young buck came to the stand. It had 8 points with some broken tines, but was pretty immature. Since it was his first deer my co-worker decided to take a shot. He made a perfect heart, lung shot. The buck ran about 30 yards before dropping. We found pieces of heart and lung on the ground in the deer's path. My co-worker was very proud of his first deer.

The next day I got a turkey and a nice doe so it was a very productive trip. I tried a neck shot for the first time and the doe dropped in her tracks. It was interesting when field dressing the doe. She had bullet marks inbetween her last ribs close to the spine on both sides. It looked like she had been wounded during a previous season. That was the first time I had ever seen that.

Saturday night I had venison tenderloin on the grill. MMMMMM good.

Can't wait for the next trip.
Old November 19, 2001, 09:25 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Sounds like a very good outing!

Art