The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 24, 2001, 05:16 PM   #1
STEVE M

This is mostly to those of you who are profesional gunsmiths, (but everyones input is welcome). What equipment do you use to boresight rifles. I am perticularly interested in the brands of boresighters and any other equipment you may use.
Also (if different) what do you use on your own guns. Or what would you buy now (if like me you are always saying 'if I only knew then what I know now').
Old February 25, 2001, 09:44 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Steve, I use a Simmons Bore Sighter. It's cheap and mine seems to work very well. Comes with 4 studs that handle everything from .17 to .50. I have an extension and offsett spud for see-thru and side mount applications. A local retail shop uses a laser bore sighter. I don't know what brand it is but I've had several folks bring their rifles to me to be bore sighted after the guys with the laser couldn't do it. I don't know why they couldn't but I suspect operator error. George
Old February 25, 2001, 12:10 PM   #3
STEVE M

Thanks George, I've been thinking about buying one. I don't mind paying for a good one, but have been unsure how they compare to each other. Have you any experience with Leupolds? I understand it uses a magnet instead of spuds.
Old March 1, 2001, 01:19 PM   #4
WINTERVILLE WILL

Get the Leupold...I use one every day and customers report shooting near center on their first shot after I've boresighted their guns with it. Works on anything...rifles,handguns,shotguns...i've sighted pellet guns with it! Wish I had one years ago.
Old March 5, 2001, 11:14 PM   #5
biganimal

I own three bore-sighters, Tasco , leupold, and a laser sighter and all put me within 1.5 inches of center on paper at 100 yds. the only difference is how well you use them. I have seen guys use them and not hit a 4x8 sheet of plywood at 50 yards!!!gotta love them kinds as they keep business coming my way. last year alone I made $400 just bore-sighting guns.