The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 17, 2013, 11:59 AM   #1
lagavulin62

Steyr M95/34 8X56R

I decided to go with this instead of something more pricey. I was thinking SKS but saw one in a local store yesterday and at least for now I am not to into them. Besides for that round I will wait for the AK's to go down in price. But I had been eying this gun for sometime and after doing a bit of research I decided what the heck. Yeah I know ammo can be a bit of a challenge but it's not like I am going to shoot this every weekend. I just felt at the price and look it was time to get one.

I will post a pre-cleaning pic as soon as it comes in. It should ship sometime today. Picked it up at SOG.
Old July 17, 2013, 12:19 PM   #2
Melkiper

Awesome Grats on your new rifle.

I love mine I picked mine up from JG last month, looking forward to pics and to see what quality SOG has.
Old July 17, 2013, 06:12 PM   #3
lordhedgwich

Yeah i love mine also i picked mine up from jg two or three months ago. you can get some clips from https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...tc-default.asp
Old July 17, 2013, 06:31 PM   #4
lagavulin62

I found some ammo yesterday while browsing. As everyone knows not cheap. This gun might be the kick in the butt I have been needing to finally get into reloading.
Old July 17, 2013, 09:06 PM   #5
tahunua001

I have my LGS getting registered as a century dealer so that they can order me one, hopefully they still have some left, century is dragging their feet.

one thing though. AKs aren't going to go down, they never do go back to normal after a scare, people get too used to selling high. I'm afraid $900 is the new average for WASRs.
Old July 17, 2013, 09:46 PM   #6
lagavulin62

J&G has WASR's for like 650 but another place has them cheaper. Maybe ClassicFirearms. I can't remember.

Back to the Steyr they have plenty at SOG so maybe you should have your FFL send one to them? When I first got my C&R I sent my license to Century after opening an account. I tried ordering once but they kept telling me they didn't have my license on file. I sent another copy but still the same issue. I gave up on them so have always ordered from SOG. That is not to say Century is not a good company. Just that for whatever reason I have not had much luck with them.

I hope you get one. For 109 I think I did the right thing.
Old July 17, 2013, 11:23 PM   #7
tahunua001

I'm hoping that they still have one of the excellent conditions left for $130. if not I'm happy with a $100 rifle. my LGS is really bending over backwards on this, I'd hate to have them back out and go with something else at this point. they are usually very accommodating and I've talked to the owner a few times, they are good people. if century has not gotten back to them by friday I'll give sog a call and see if they have anything left in stock and if they do I'll see if my LGS will just do the FFL transfer for me.
Old July 18, 2013, 09:29 AM   #8
Gator Weiss

Hey that is a good rifle.

That is a decent rifle. I really like the cartridge. Nice bottle and nice shape and shoulder. That rim makes powerful extraction. It should be real easy to hand load. 8mm is a really good size bullet for anything that walks the North American Continent. There was some great engineering in those rifles.
Old July 18, 2013, 04:20 PM   #9
lagavulin62

I have seen some guys shoot on youtube. I am looking forward to trying that straight pull bolt. I just got the tracking number and it's due at my house sometime Monday.
Old July 18, 2013, 06:44 PM   #10
tobnpr

Quote:
one thing though. AKs aren't going to go down, they never do go back to normal after a scare, people get too used to selling high. I'm afraid $900 is the new average for WASRs.
Not so, mon frere...

WASR 10's, $599 at Centerfire. Just about everything IS going back down in price. How many proclaimed we'd never see AR lowers under $100 again? They're everywhere now...

http://centerfiresystems.com/
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old July 22, 2013, 01:37 PM   #11
lagavulin62

as promised

Just arrived an hour ago. I like the carbine size. The bore is not as clean as my MN's but I'm sure it will be fine once I give it a good work over. I think this is going to be fun to shoot. Anybody know how to take off the bolt? I need to research more on the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mannlicher1.jpg (42.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg manlicher2.jpg (39.4 KB, 39 views)
Old July 22, 2013, 11:51 PM   #12
johnm1

To remove the bolt, push forward on the trigger and pull the bolt out. But before you do, verify that the bolt heas stays rotated in the unlocked position. If the bolt head has rotated a little in its track, it will fully rotate as you pull it out and can/will jamb itself in the rear receiver bridge. Ask me how I know this.
Old July 23, 2013, 08:03 AM   #13
BoogieMan

johnm1 has it right. Although I have never jammed mine.
Nice pics and looks like you got one in good condition. Not to mention its Hungarian so no doubt the best of the best. Im pretty sure that all Hungarian guns should be cleaned with a 1-1 mixture of wine and paprika. Hint the Wine isnt for the rifle.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old July 23, 2013, 09:11 AM   #14
lagavulin62

Hey thanks for the comments and help with getting it off.

Next issue. Can't get it back on. As you can see from the pics I can't get it past that notch, it's like it's too high. I tried with the back tab all the way back but still nothing. I watching the youtube video and except for the back part pushed back this is what it looked like before he pushed it back in. I tried the trigger too. Let me know if you need more pictures.

Thanks, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg man3.jpg (27.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg man4.jpg (25.5 KB, 20 views)
Old July 23, 2013, 09:36 AM   #15
lagavulin62

Ok looking at it now I think that notch at the top needs to be rotated either to the right or left because it looks like it would slide back in perfectly. Think that is what y'all meant by rotate? If that is the case how do I rotate that head? Seems like the back tab catch would be the key as I can pull it in and out and rotate, however it does't affect that front part. I can see where the firing pin is coming in and out, just can't get that front part to rotate. I wonder if some sort of catch has been accidently disengaged?
Old July 23, 2013, 05:20 PM   #16
lagavulin62

Update. I got it back in thanks to this.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/steyrm95/bolt/hs.asp

I knew it had to be something about extending that front part forward. The thing is I wasn't sure so I didn't want to force it. But it took some pressure to get it to move and it finally snapped in place. I had it pop back the first time I tried to put it back in but the second time was a charm. Now that I practically took apart the bolt I think this will be very easy.

So my question is how should I clean this thing? I wonder if I can just take the bolt apart completely and soak it like I do with my Makarov's? It's basically just a mixture of cleaning liquids I got from a guy from the Makarov.com board. It's all metal so don't see the harm. What do you guys think? Then whats the best way to clean the metal on the gun and stock. I guess I should take the stock and receiver apart too?

Well sorry for all the question.

And one more thing....... I think you guys intentionally chose not to respond. Just wanted to see me sweat it out I bet. LMAO.
Old July 23, 2013, 06:43 PM   #17
waltin

Your 95 looks like a beauty, I'm envious as when mine arrived a few weeks ago I was hoping for a Hungarian but my Austrian is real nice an the bore looks mint. I had to strip it down as it was arsenal fresh and loaded with cosmoline. Breaking it down was easy, now I'm deciding if I want to fuss with the stock finish or reassemble and go to the range.
Old September 2, 2013, 02:33 PM   #18
DennisCA

Congrats!
Go to youtube for bolt questions; there are several video's that will help you.