The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 26, 2011, 06:38 PM   #26
Hog Buster

Just remember, us old farts know that karate is not equal to crowbar.
Old July 26, 2011, 06:44 PM   #27
sltm1

At 62 I'm one of those old guys you gotta watch out for, but I'll tell you something I learned in my 20's, if you're ever in a "fair" fight, you've done something wrong!! Only 2 positions in any contest, fighting included, win and lose and I prefer the former.
Old July 26, 2011, 07:15 PM   #28
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I strongly advise anyone over 40 reading this to skip a day between free weight work and to spend at least 20 percent of your exercise time with any regimen----free weights, nautilus, cardiovascular, etc---- stretching and then stretch every time you thing about it when you are not exercising If your kidneys are not damaged, pack on the protein and ingest beau coup H20 as well to repair the damage we all get and usually keep when we are over the hill.
Great advice and I fully agree. Trouble is I'm usually not taking that advice and I pay dearly for it later. Oh, I do everything but the stretching part. Unfortunately, that's probably the most important. And at 55, I'm still super-strong, but of course not as limber as when 30ish. Stretching is something I need to incorporate, badly, but I'm going to need a reminder at every workout. Maybe I'll pack a broomhandle in my gym bag. They work wonderfully and I'm sure as hell not going to forget what it's there for.
Old July 26, 2011, 07:23 PM   #29
kraigwy

Quote:
stretch every time you thing about it
I think every time I get up from my nap, that I could stretch a mile, then forget about it when I realize I'd have to walk back.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 26, 2011, 08:11 PM   #30
mrbro

I'm too old, fat and tired to fight. But if this PC attacks me I'll kick it in the keyboard.

Oh, wait, gun forum, I'll beat it with a 1911, yeah that's it.
Old July 26, 2011, 09:35 PM   #31
Mr. James

dang, kraigwy

You've broken me up three times in this thread. Knock that off before I pull a muscle!

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old July 26, 2011, 10:32 PM   #32
dannyb

so here I am

I don't do free weights. I'm 59 and got mine schlepping 40 lb bags of salt to the water treatment thingie in the basement. Felt proud of myself that I can still go up and down stairs with a 40 pounder in each hand. Then my left rotator cuff told me that I was very wrong.

4 months and an agonizing amount of stretching the shoulder out again, I can safely say that I won't be rising to the bait of anyone, yonker or geezer, taunting me. Instead of using my left arm to block the punch and jab back, I'm better off using my left hand over my mouth to keep it shut.
Old July 27, 2011, 10:13 AM   #33
Occam's Razor

54 now, 5' 6", 155, still in what I consider good shape. But lessons learned the hard way in LE many years ago - 1. Strength and size will win out over skill and ability in any protracted fight, so get out quick. 2. The ability to run away and live to fight another day is highly under-rated. People used to ask what my favorite weapon was when in LE in S. Florida (back in the 80's). I'd always say my "twin 9's". They'd ask if I carried two 9mm's - "Nope, the size 9 shoes on my feet to run away."
Old July 27, 2011, 11:03 AM   #34
Rj1972

Quote:
I am 75 and last year a 19 year old ran a stop sign and i hit him in the front fender. He came out of his car screaming and coming right for me with clinched fists. I kicked him in the groin where it hurts and he folded. Fortunately, two motorists that witnessed the whole thing stopped and told the police what occured, right from him running the stop sign. And i havent exercised that leg in a long time.
That's what I'm talking about! Exercise that right to bear...legs...foot..? Nice one Overhill!
Old July 27, 2011, 03:41 PM   #35
irish52084

Occam, I disagree with #1 in your post. Skill and ability generally beat size and strength in a protracted fight. I see it on a regular basis and have been the victim of it regularly for years now. I'm a big, strong, young man and there are guys I outweigh almost 2:1 who have far more fighting talent than me and they regularly best me while hardly breaking a sweat. Talent and the tools to use it beats untalented and no tools 9/10 of the time.

Not saying strength and size aren't an advantage, just that knowledge and training make up the lost ground quite easily.
Old July 27, 2011, 04:28 PM   #36
serf 'rett

Maybe I'll start with the stretching before moving on to the hard stuff.

Vaguely recall exercise and weights being part of my past several eons ago. About the closest I come to being “in shape” is just having shape (mostly in the wrong places!) Started toting something with powder backed projectiles because I’m getting to old and slow to escape trouble if it ever hems me in a corner.
Old July 27, 2011, 09:04 PM   #37
armsmaster270

Always remember to have a few guns out and be cleaning them when your daughter/granddaughter brings her date to meet you.
Old July 27, 2011, 09:29 PM   #38
Mike38

Yep, you don’t want to mess with old guys. My late Father always told me when I was young, “Never get in a fist fight with a guy over 50. They will win because they have nothing to loose.”

I happen to be over 50 now……..
Old July 27, 2011, 10:30 PM   #39
redstategunnut

I'm 43 and I roll jiu jitsu with guys half my age a few times a week. I have to rotate jiu jitsu, weights and cardio to keep from breaking my body down with fatigue and injury.

It's funny. The young guys in class describe me as having "old man strength." True, in brute force I am stronger than them, but it makes me laugh because I don't think of myself as an "old man." Then I remember that when those guys look at me, I'm their father's age.

Where did the time go?
Old July 28, 2011, 01:54 AM   #40
45Gunner

At age 40, I played raquet ball with guys 1/2 my age and usually won. I worked out every day and went to the range 3 times a week...minimum.

At age 55, I was the second oldest guy in my U.S. Govt. LEO class and finished top of my class in everything from academics to marksmanship to hand to hand combat. I was in better physical shape than when I played high school and college sports.

I was physically active, took care of myself, considered myself an adventurer, a sports enthusiast, and oh, did I mention that during the previous 35 years I managed to get shot 6 times but bounced back because of a little bit of luck and lot of being in good physical condition.

At age 58, while riding on a bus, the driver pulled a bonehead move which left me with a severe spinal cord injury. The point is that you never know what is around the corner and it could happen to you when you least expect it.
I fought for 6 years to get back on my feet (figuratively speaking) so I could once again master my sport of shooting. As before, I carry a gun nearly 24/7 but now a physical confrontation could mean serious permanent bodily damage or worse. My gun is my line of defense and I pray each day that I will never have to use it.

Life can change in an instant. Live it. Enjoy it. Protect it. Don't let some half wit goad you into a confrontation that could only result in a negative outcome for you, regardless of how much king of the mountain you may think you are.
NRA Life Member
Old July 28, 2011, 08:54 AM   #41
redstategunnut

45Gunner is quite right.

Last year, without warning, I woke up having a heart attack. I had never suffered symptoms, I was not under a doctor's care, I was working out (weights, run, bike, jiu jitsu) four or five days a week. I was in great shape. The week before this happened, I had run ten miles and lifted weights twice. The day it happened, I went snorkeling in open water in south Florida.

I died that night, briefly. Fortune smiled on me, I was about 500 yards from ALS paramedics and five minutes from a cath lab. I went from woke up having a heart attack to on the table for emergency surgery to dead to resuccitated to walking out of the hospital in a 36 hour period.

Live life. Do not take tomorrow for granted.
Old July 28, 2011, 09:49 AM   #42
JerryM

I find it strange that so many folks get into so many fights. Maybe I have just lived a sheltered life in the military, and don't drink or hang out at places where fights occur.

I had one fight in high school, and none since. I guess I don't look tough enough for someone else to prove they are tough by beating me. I'm not that tough either.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old July 28, 2011, 06:03 PM   #43
Jo6pak

Question for the OP....
Would you have healed faster if you had taken an A$$-whopping?

Not trying to be difficult, but if there is no way out of a physical confrontation, then your only option was to try to end the fight as quickly as possible. It is difficult to judge if we will take more damage from being offensive or defensive, but ending the fight early is always better in my book.

As a caveat, I've only ever been in 3 fights. one win, one lose and one draw.
Old July 28, 2011, 06:18 PM   #44
chadstrickland

guys im sorry but i have to

Im sorry for this inconvenience but it seems that I have found my way into the senior citizen side of this thread and was wondering where the youth group was at?
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old July 28, 2011, 06:18 PM   #45
Hawg

I did my share of bar room brawling in my younger days but truth is even if you win it still hurts. I'm 54 now and it hurts just to make a fist from all the times I busted my knuckles up. Bottom line is don't F*** with me cuz I'll put a hole in you if you do.
Old July 28, 2011, 07:20 PM   #46
Cowboy_mo

Well I remember being a young bull and getting in an argument with my father. Being young and stupid I invited him outside to settle things. He then explained to me that when it came to fighting at his age, there weren't any rules when it came to such physical discussions. By then I had calmed enough to realize the error of my ways and withdrew the offer..

As to this situation, as someone else said, "I'm too old to fight and too young to take a beating".

At my current age (58 and certainly not as good as I once was) I'm going to avoid any physical altercations if at all possible and if I or my family are in severe danger, I will use whatever means necessary to defend us.
Old July 28, 2011, 08:15 PM   #47
chadstrickland

I knew I would take a little flame from that . But this "young whippersnapper" cannot help but the occasional jab ( verbal ) at the more senior generation
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old July 30, 2011, 06:23 PM   #48
Stevie-Ray

One of the funnier stories my mom used to tell was about her father and his sons. At one point one of my uncles said he was going to "tell dad" what one of the others was saying. At this point the offender, likely in his early 20s, said, "So what? I can take the old man anyday!" Well, my mom and her sister quickly told Grandpa, who promptly said, "Yeah? Well, we'll see about that." At that point, my mom said my uncle "landed on his ass in two shakes."
Old July 31, 2011, 06:51 AM   #49
mrt949

One of the young guns at work . Was bragging about how strong he is and a bad a&& he is. He made a remark to one of the new OLDER FOLKS.The old guy STUFFED HIM IN 2 SECONDS . HUMBLE PIE is his new name .DOI'T MESS WITH THE OLD FOLKS.
Old July 31, 2011, 09:10 AM   #50
redneckerson38

I'm 40, fat, and out of shape. My trigger finger is 40, fat, and out of shape, but it, like me, will do what it must, if the situation calls on it.
but the greatest weapon I have over a youngin, is my experience to crawl inside there mind to make mush of it, and if that dosen't work.....That is where my trigger finger comes into play.