The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 14, 2005, 10:28 AM   #1
FirstFreedom

Is it perfectly safe to shoot factory .30-'06 loads

in my Brazilian Mauser chambered in this? Haven't shot it yet, but just bought a box of Hornady 180 grainers. Of course I'm pretty sure it's safe, but it IS a milsurp, and these are heavy-ish loads. I looked for a "light" load with 180s but didn't find on the shelf. Thanks.
Old January 14, 2005, 02:43 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

Anyone?

Thanks.
Old January 14, 2005, 03:07 PM   #3
Handy

People rechamber Mauser actions like yours for elephant loads and magnums. That little pressure difference shouldn't be an issue. The gun already survived proof loads if it is military.
Old January 14, 2005, 03:08 PM   #4
tintcutter

They should be 50,000 c.u.p. just like all the other 30-06 loads or be specified as being different on the box (I have never heard of that though). You could search the net for the gun and not the load and check out the recommend load levels.
Old January 14, 2005, 04:48 PM   #5
Smokey Joe

Perfect safety

Your question was, "Is it perfectly safe..." and the answer is, no of course not. There is no such thing as perfect safety. Every day people fall out of bed and break their necks, or choke to death on food.

Now, if you're really asking, " Is it REASONABLY safe..." then we can discuss it. SHOULD be OK, as Handy said, but remember, this is the Internet, and all advice here is worth exactly what you pay for it, including mine.

If there's really a question in your mind about whether this--or any--gun is safe, I'd take it to a gunsmith and pay him for his opinion in writing. What the gunsmith is willing to put on paper he'll be willing to stand behind in a court of law should it (heaven forbid!) ever get that far. Point is, that he'll be conservative and cautious, and if the gun gets the green light under those conditions then you can rest easy.

--Smokey Joe
Old January 14, 2005, 08:15 PM   #6
tokarevman

It should be safe, I colect a lot of old guns and sometime i do get a bad feeling about one and will ocasanly get it checked out by a pro. So if you are woried you can get one to check it. I rember when i bought my .58cal zulu rifle i had it looked at and it was fine, and i also bought a martinie at the same time and had it looked at as well and the barrel was cracked, so with an old gun you never know.
Old January 17, 2005, 12:46 PM   #7
Clemson

Just make sure the barrel and chamber are clean and dry before you shoot it. The rifle itself is probably safer than a lot of current guns on the market. It is certainly better made than most.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com