The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 12, 2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Vireye

Carrying in a City (Not State) Park - CT

Hi all,

My usual avenues of finding an answer to this haven't been working unfortunately.

I'm planning to go hiking for a bit tomorrow in Danbury, CT. It's a city park, NOT a State park. That being said, I can't find any information on Danbury statutes/ordnances/etc regarding carrying while in the park...

As a matter of course, unless illegal, I NEVER go anywhere without my G30. Does anyone have any insight into this? Unfortunately since its Sunday, I can't get ahold of any park officials/staff...

Second question is actually regarding my Glock 30. Under CT's new laws, a magazine can't extend below "the pistol grip"...but, the G30's standard mag does just that...anyone know if this is going to be a problem?

There are times I really hate living in this state...
Old May 14, 2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Gaerek

Does CT have a preemption law? That is, no gun law made my a municipality, county or other "subordinate" jurisdiction can make a law that contradicts state law.

If there's preemption, unless there's a state law that says no carrying in a public city park, I think you'll be OK.

EDIT:

Ok, just checked handgunlaw.us. CT does not have preemption. That means the only way you'll get the answer is by asking someone who works at the park. You could also go there and see if there are any signs prohibiting carry near an entrance.

BTW... hangunlaw.us is probably the best resource to navigate the maze that is gun laws in the US and it's States.