The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: What's Your Magic Number OF Firearms For You If You Have One?
1-10 29 17.90%
11-20 28 17.28%
21-30 25 15.43%
31-40 10 6.17%
41-50 8 4.94%
51-75 7 4.32%
More Than 75 55 33.95%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 15, 2013, 06:53 PM   #51
magnum777

I have no specific number for guns, I get what I like, need or can afford.
Old April 15, 2013, 11:23 PM   #52
Achilles11B

I thought of Billy Gibbons when I read the question. He was once asked if he had too many guitars, to which he replied, 'One is too many, a hundred is not enough.'

I think it fits here.
Old April 16, 2013, 02:21 AM   #53
natman

I have too many, and yet still not enough...
Old April 16, 2013, 09:25 AM   #54
22-rimfire

I don't have a magic number. If you buy guns strictly to shoot, then the number of guns you might shoot on a yearly basis is probably a relatively low number. But, why do you have to shoot something on a yearly basis in order to justfy ownership?

If you buy to collect, then there is absolutely no ceiling to the number of firearms you might own. I buy for both purposes and sometimes shooters become collectors. That is the nature of the beast.
Old April 16, 2013, 10:46 AM   #55
kraigwy

There is no such thing as "too many guns"

That's like saying, too much money, or, a girl too pretty, or too much whiskey, or too much fun.

Just ain't no such animal.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 16, 2013, 10:57 AM   #56
southjk

Quote:
That's like saying, too much money, or, a girl too pretty, or too much whiskey, or too much fun.

Just ain't no such animal.
Truer words were never said.
Old April 16, 2013, 11:02 AM   #57
Gaerek

I didn't vote. Everytime I get to the point where I think, "Hmm, I have enough guns!" I will inevitably see something that I want within a few days. There's no limit. If I had 500 guns, I'd still find something I want as 501.
Old April 16, 2013, 12:16 PM   #58
Joe_Pike

Quote:
There is no such thing as "too many guns"
I never asked how many was too many. I asked how many were enough for you personally. And, if that number is 1,500, or even unlimited, then that's fine. I was just curious what everyone's saturation point was.
Old April 16, 2013, 03:31 PM   #59
teeroux

Not that I have anywhere close to this many but you know the scene in the Matrix where the gun racks come flying by in the loading room. That would almost be enough.
Old April 16, 2013, 04:50 PM   #60
lcpiper

I'll have enough guns when I have enough for every situation in which I need another gun.

I'll explain. I have perhaps 4 rifles that would be acceptable to take deer hunting. That means I can take up to 3 people with me who don't have their own rifles.

But what if we go varmint hunting instead, the 30.06 is a little on the heavy side for varmint. And let's not talk about squirrel. Not one of them is right for squirrel. I have one that is fine for squirrel so I could at least get one more for that sized game.

I never hunt alone so I need at least two more of everything which is twice as much as some think I need. Of course I don't care what those people think too much.
Old April 16, 2013, 04:53 PM   #61
Joe_Pike

Quote:
I never hunt alone so I need at least two more of everything which is twice as much as some think I need. Of course I don't care what those people think too much.
Well, I don't have enough money to supply friends with firearms, but that's a nice thing you do having extra guns on hand for them to borrow.
Old April 16, 2013, 05:00 PM   #62
lcpiper

Daughter, Son-In-Law (The son I never had), that kind of thing.
Old April 16, 2013, 06:12 PM   #63
larryh1108

I made a rule a few years back that if I wanted to buy another gun, I had to sell one or two to pay for it. I realized I had guns I wasn't shooting and weren't really collectible and still wanted others. So, if I "had" to have a particular gun then I had to sell one or more to equal the cost and pare the herd.

It's been successful, for me, because I sold what sat and shoot what I have. I'm down to looking for a nice .22LR/Mag revolver and when I find it I will sell a really nice Llama IX-A .45ACP. As I get closer to retirement and as my hands are getting shaky and achey I've realized that the ones that you actually enjoy shooting are the ones actually worth keeping.

Last edited by larryh1108; April 16, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old April 16, 2013, 07:06 PM   #64
Samopal

I don't have a number and probably never will. Firearms is one of my main hobbies, and I'm not going to pull an arbitrary number out of the sky and say, "Okay, I'll only own this many at a time". As I live my life I'll buy, sell and trade guns as I see fit. When I get too many to accommodate I'll change my storage setup.
Old April 16, 2013, 07:26 PM   #65
KMAX

I said between 21 and 30. I now have more than I can count with my shoes off. I don't have 30 I think. I would have to go to the safe and count or check my record of gun and serial #. I would like to get it to less than ten to be more managable for maintainence, etc. but I can't decide what I would want to get rid of. Also there are a few more I would like to have.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old April 17, 2013, 02:59 AM   #66
Tejicano

Right now I have about 75 – if you count the one loaned out to a Marine buddy, boxes of parts with a receiver, assembled and waiting on a part or two to finish it up, etc. But I also have a short wish list of about 8 or 10 which are either a) I would buy up in a heartbeat if I found it at a normal price, or b) figuring out the options I really want before I put an order in.
I expect I will have about 100 by the time I retire and plan to enjoy my retirement slowly completing the ones I really like, selling off the ones I bought in duplicate when I saw good deals, and shooting the ones I have left. Depending on the level of interest either of my sons may have I might be selling off the NFA items just to ensure we get a good price for them – I doubt anybody in my family would know how to get a good price for those if I croaked before selling them.
Old April 17, 2013, 04:34 AM   #67
Willie Sutton

One of each of every version of Mauser 98 would be a good starting spot...
I'm up to 100 of those and still finding new ones...

Willie

Old April 17, 2013, 07:05 AM   #68
'88Scrat

I could't put a number on it but I would say my tipping point would be when you find some of your old firearms becoming unused. To me this is the point where you are no longer getting anything out of your purchase. For example I had an old Remington .22 that took a backseat to my Ruger 10/22 and started collecting dust so I sold it.
Old April 17, 2013, 08:48 PM   #69
8MM Mauser

Quote:
I could't put a number on it but I would say my tipping point would be when you find some of your old firearms becoming unused. To me this is the point where you are no longer getting anything out of your purchase. For example I had an old Remington .22 that took a backseat to my Ruger 10/22 and started collecting dust so I sold it.
I agree, if you never shoot it, don't care about shooting it, and it's not strictly a self-defense arm, then pass it on to someone who will actually use it. I shoot all my guns or I sell them, unless they have some other sentimental or historical value to them. For example, I will likely one day inherit my dad's old 20GA stevens shotgun, it's as old as my dad is himself and sometimes it has a hard time actually cycling and chambering a round. I would never get rid of it thought. Might try to make it function better though as someday pass it on to my daughter (she is currently 22 months old.) So with few exceptions, I say use it or lose it. "Safe queens" are just sad to me.
Old April 18, 2013, 08:52 PM   #70
Toolman

Real Americans can never have enough firearms.
Old April 19, 2013, 02:45 AM   #71
Tejicano

I would love it if I had enough time and money to shoot all of my guns regularly. I don't have one gun I don't want to shoot but with as many as I have they can't all go to the range every time.

Granted, I don't have any dedicated safe queens - guns I would not shoot because they are NIB, too valuable, etc. I would not buy a rare, mint condition Colt or similar gun for that reason.

I will admit that a number of guns I have I just appreciate the mechanism, design, or period in history they represent to me. But that makes them more interesting for me to shoot them when I get the chance.

I also expect that they will increase in value over time so keeping them makes sense. Not so much for the investment value but because I know that if there was a time when I wanted it enough to buy it I would always want to have it - now that I have the money tied up in it I see no reason to sell it knowing I would probably buy the same type gun again one day.
Old April 19, 2013, 03:51 AM   #72
Justice06RR

Its not about having a limit, but just having "enough" guns in your arsenal. Its a personal choice; if you want to own (and can afford) 1000 guns -- why not. But some may choose to own maybe just 5, or 20.

Realistically, not all of us are made of money. There are other hobbies/passions out there other than guns that we would like to pour money into.

I'd like to have more than I currently own, but other priorities need more attention sometimes. I would probably be happy with 20.

At this point I'm more concerned about having ammo for all of them...
Old April 19, 2013, 09:24 AM   #73
Ruger480

How many firearms are enough for you personally?

Forgive me for answering a question with a question but:
How many are there?
Old April 19, 2013, 02:38 PM   #74
Yankee Traveler

I really do not believe in "Collectables". I do not buy anything to look at, or to put in a safe.
I buy, build and maintain cars to drive. Chrome is nice, but it does not make a car (truck, bike, boat) go faster, turn quicker, stop shorter. I need a sports car, sport sedan, sport utility, and a truck. With roof and without. I could do it all with suv but I don't want to.
I open the drawer on my tool box and I have deep well sockets, short sockets, 6 point, 12 point, wrenches, picks, wedges, hammers from tack to sledge, ball peen and mallet. I could do most things with vise grips and a screw driver, but I don't want to.

Guns? Big calibers, small calibers, long barrels, short barrels, black powder. I want them all, and every one I get, I will use. I cannot asign a number.
Old April 19, 2013, 02:48 PM   #75
SC4006

I also cannot put a number on how many is enough, for me I have enough when I think I have enough.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.