The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 16, 2015, 06:54 PM   #1
Shotgun Slim

Time to try Clay Dot

So I have used a lot of Clays in my .40 reloads and 7/8 oz 12 ga shotshells. Love the stuff but as everybody here knows there hasn't been any. I know that ADI is back up to full production but clearing backorders may take forever. In the meantime I see 8 lb kegs of Clay Dot selling for $118.95. So I have been passively watching all the back and forth about switching directly from Clays to Clay Dot. Buddy just snagged a pound for me to experiment with. My interest is in using it for the pistol. Yes I know that Alliant specifically says that the powder is not for use in metallic cartridges and also that it is a direct replacement for Clays in shotshells. However the reloading forums are full of folks who are using it in pistols exactly as Clays with no issues. I'm gonna give it a shot(pun intended). Of course the starting loads will be really light and I won't load up much because I don't really need to. If anyone is interested I will update my results which will be mostly seat of the pants at first. Also if any of you have been down this road and can offer advice I'll take it with gratitude.
Old February 16, 2015, 10:14 PM   #2
FITASC

Clays IS back, but ClayDot is Alliant's version. Use accordingly by starting low and working up.
Old February 17, 2015, 02:17 AM   #3
Hammerhead

I would stay clear of the max loads. Just because they perform the same in shotguns or even .45acp doesn't mean they will perform the same at the higher pressures in the .40.
Would definitely be interested in hearing you results though
Old March 2, 2015, 08:11 PM   #4
Shotgun Slim

Ok. I've had a chance to fool with Clat Dot on the scales and on the range. Interestingly after looking at several burn rate charts the is some disagreement between them on where C/D stands. I see it listed right with Clays and also listed down the chart indicating a slower burn rate. Anyway, I threw a bunch of charges of both powders and found that Clay Dot gives right at 11% more weight for a given volume. (So far I'm only throwing very light charges for pistol-no shotshell bushings yet). Set for 2.7 grains of Clays will yield 3.0 grains C/D. The word on the forums I've seen is that you can use the same setting on your measure for Clays if you switch to C/D. After my very limited experience with some light loadings I can say that is a reasonable conclusion. Mind you all I am doing is loading very light dinker loads for my .40 XDms. The 175 swc will run my 525 with 2.7 grains of Clays but it takes that extra percentage of C/D to do the same. Kinda makes me believe the burn rate chart that shows C/D as slower than Clays. No chrono work yet-the freakin weather has really been against me here lately. The Clay Dot does burn clean about like Clays and gives a nice recoil sensation and does seem to group a bit tighter than the Clays. Since it takes more C/D to get the same results that negates some of the cost savings but the stuff seems easier to come by and so far is very much cheaper. I'm a little bit of a mad scientist so there will be more testing and I will report back.
Old March 3, 2015, 05:24 PM   #5
hanno

I'm a fan of Clays and emailed Alliant regarding Clay Dot. My email and their response is below:

"Is Clay Dot the same as Clays for handgun loading. That is, can I use the load data for Clays to load with Clay Dot?"

"Gary,
NO!!
Clay Dot powder is a shotshell powder ONLY. Do not use this powder in metallic cartridges.
Thanks,
Shoot Straight
DuaneVB
CCI/SPEER/ALLIANT POWDER
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID"
Old March 3, 2015, 08:08 PM   #6
Shotgun Slim

Alliant specifically states in their literature that C/D is not intended for metallic cartridge reloading. Now you have an emphatic negative response directly from them. It has been surmised many times on this forum and others that this is lawyer driven because they have not formally tested the powder and cannot be seen as encouraging or suggesting it's use for that. I can't verify that theory but it makes some sense. However I have traced threads and posts about this subject back to 2009 and there are lots of people who have taken the plunge-wildcatting if you will and claim to have found that C/D can be used in pistol applications. With the factory disclaimer in mind I have decided to try C/D in my very light practice loads and so far things are ok. I am not going to jack the loads and take chances with the dreaded pressure spike that Clays is said to demonstrate. What I am after is something that will run my 525 with a reduced power recoil spring-a powderpuff load with the gentle recoil and clean burn of Clays. So far so good. Thank you for your interest and the implied warning.
Old March 3, 2015, 08:54 PM   #7
hanno

Shotgun Slim.
I didn't send that email because of this thread. I did it some time back. Just posted it here for further info.

I like Clays so will hope that at some point Alliant tests Clay Dot and okays it for metallic reloading.
Old March 5, 2015, 09:03 PM   #8
FITASC

Quote:
Interestingly after looking at several burn rate charts the is some disagreement between them on where C/D stands. I see it listed right with Clays and also listed down the chart indicating a slower burn rate.
That is playing with fire and a dangerous way to go ab out things.
Old March 5, 2015, 10:07 PM   #9
sawdustdad

Clays is back. Picked up 2 lbs today at the LGS. About $20/lb. They also had Clay Dot in an 8lb jug, (as well as INTERNATIONAL, Unique, promo, red dot, bullseye, etc.). Surprising amount of powder. Dozens of 8lb kegs of pistol powder.
Old March 6, 2015, 02:59 PM   #10
FITASC

Bet those "pounds" were 14 oz.........
Old March 6, 2015, 03:04 PM   #11
Shotgun Slim

Sawdustdad must be going to Greentop. It's nice to see powder sitting on a shelf at any lgs. Hopefully I can score a keg of Accurate #7 soon so I can rest a little easier.
Old March 6, 2015, 08:23 PM   #12
sawdustdad

Quote:
Sawdustdad must be going to Greentop.
Exactly, but I miss the old store. I've been shopping there since 1976.
Prices have gone up since they moved into the old Gander Mountain store. Someone told me they sold out to a bigger company? Not sure, but it's just not the same.

I don't think they had any AA powder, or Norma, or Ramshot, or Vivatouri. All Alliant and Hodgdon/Win/IMR.
Old March 6, 2015, 08:39 PM   #13
Shotgun Slim

I see Clays showing up seemingly everywhere now but I still want to see if C/D will substitute for it. I have a really good 7/8 oz load for clay targets that I want to use the Clays for,but C/D may be a cheaper alternative in the .40 for practice/plinking loads. I shoot steel in Mechanicsville (Black Creek) so I will go by Greentop when I'm in Richmond for that. I'm told that Greentop is a distributor for Accurate powder so maybe they will have better access to it. Here's hopin......