The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 9, 2014, 06:08 PM   #1
Dave70

Ramsshot true blue

Guys how many of you have used this pistol powder. Trying to reload 230gn lrn in .45acp and 127gn lrn in 9mm. How does it meter any pet loads?
Old August 9, 2014, 06:14 PM   #2
Sevens

I've not yet purchased any single Ramshot powder. There is a reason for that.

I need a 12 step program. I am ADDICTED to new, different powders. If I don't have it, I probably have some interest or opinion on it. If I do have it, I absolutely have an opinion on it!

All I know about Ramshot is that they are Western Powders, the same great folks that bring us the Accurate line. All of the Accurate powders are spherical and thus, extremely easy to deal with in most equipment. I believe all the Ramshot powders are spherical as well.

I like Western/Accurate's published & provided load data. I like Hodgdon also. I absolutely loathe Alliant/ATK, but that's side tangent.

I believe that you'd probably have a very good experience with ANY of the Ramshot powders, and the Accurate/Ramshot/Western website will give you a free.pdf download of their current published guide. It's comprehensive. It's good stuff.

I say: thumbs up!
Old August 9, 2014, 06:45 PM   #3
MEATSAW

Quote:
All of the Accurate powders are spherical
Not true, there are several powders in Accurate's line that are extruded powders: many of the rifle powders (4350, 4064, etc) and the shotshell powders are flake (solo 1000, Nitro)

Ramshot on the other hand is all spherical except Competition it is more like a flake powder than a spherical.
Old August 9, 2014, 06:50 PM   #4
Sevens

Ahhh, I should have clarified that my familiarity is with the handgun powders.

Sorry for the bad info.
Old August 9, 2014, 08:33 PM   #5
ATPBULLETS

Love...love....love IT... and you will to....from mild to wild,,, follow the load data from true blue and you will be pleased....
Old August 9, 2014, 08:39 PM   #6
noylj

Meter? Are you shooting competitive Bullseye or long range silhouette? Even the worst powders will do +/- 0.2gn with a good measure and even the best will vary 0.1gn if not +/- 0.1gn. However, True Blue is super fine and actually meters (and leaks) like water. I doubt if ANY powder could meter as well.
230gn .45: 6.0-6.7. Col depends on bullet and gun. Powder works well with 200gn LSWC--don't shoot RN or 230gn.
127gn 9mm? This is a 124-130gn bullet--use either weight for data. 5.5-6.2gn. 6.0gn may be most accurate.
Old August 9, 2014, 08:44 PM   #7
Sevens

Quote:
Even the worst powders will do +/- 0.2gn with a good measure
Judging strictly by my own (high volume) experience with my Lyman 55, and less high volume but still solid, extended use with a Hornady, I would say both of these are "good" or much better than "good" measures.

Still can't reliably meter out IMR-800X, certainly not within 0.2 grain +/-

Not even close.
Old August 12, 2014, 07:40 PM   #8
histed

Dave, FWIW I use True Blue in both of my 9mms (SCCY and Hi Point) and love it. Wish I could find more! I'm now reduced to using 800X, which shoots well but doesn't meter worth a .....darn. Are you casting you own bullets? Mine are Lee 356-125-2R cast from wheel weights and drop at .3585 and 128 gr. I was using 4.3 gr as a target load.
Old August 12, 2014, 08:14 PM   #9
Gdawgs

I'm with noylj. I don't think there is a powder out there that will meter better. Might be a few that are close, but not better.

Here's why. On the upper left is H110, a powder that I consider to be a very good metering powder. True Blue is on the upper right. So the particles are even smaller, and the shape of the particles are true spheres. They are little balls that roll around.
And then on the bottom we have Unique as a comparison. Unique used to be one of my favorite powders, but I seem to have abandoned it in recent years for newer powders that seem to perform better.

Here's a closer view of True Blue. If you can get your hands on it, go for it.
Old August 12, 2014, 08:20 PM   #10
Dave70

Thanks guys. I've been using universal clays or longshot. Just started using bullseye for my .45. I load cast bullets I buy local from GAT bullets. 230 RN is all I've ever used in the .45 powder being so hard to find I picked up a 1lb bottle of the true blue but I still have about 1.5lbs of longshot and .5 lb of bullseye. So not out.... Yet. I was just wondering how the true blue worked. I use a lee perfect powder measure and it workes better with some powders than others.
Old August 12, 2014, 08:26 PM   #11
Dave70

Yeah the unique is about like the universal that wAs my go to powder. But it don't meter all that great.
Old August 13, 2014, 10:59 AM   #12
mikld

I have been using True Blue in my .357 and .44 Magnums. I have only used low/starting loads (with one exception in .357) and it works as well as any powder I have used. It meters like water in my Lee Perfect Powder measure, my Pacific Pistol Powder measure and my C-H 502 powder measure...
Old August 13, 2014, 02:19 PM   #13
rclark

I've tested it in .45 Colt, .44Mag, .44Spec, and .357. Have found accurate loads for each of these calibers. Meters very well. I really like it, .... but have my 'favorite' powders that shoot just as good, so no 'overwelming' reason to change over to it. Haven't found that 'magical' powder yet that just puts 'em all into one hole, without having to aim . Until I do, True Blue is just another excellent powder out there!

Here is a link to the tests I've run with it : True Blue Tests
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old August 14, 2014, 09:05 PM   #14
reynolds357

It meters perfectly.
Old August 15, 2014, 02:33 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

Meters great.

But the only thing I ever tested it in was .327 Federal and .32 H&R.
In both cases, it popped primers with starting loads. ....In three different revolvers.

To make matters worse, there was actually parallel development of the same loads by myself and Crankylove (my brother). We loaded exactly the same thing independently - he, for his SP101; me, for my Blackhawk and GP100 - using our own components, and ended up testing them at the same time, on the same range trip.

Needless to say... we were both a little disappointed, but took solace in the fact that independent development achieved the same result.
Old August 17, 2014, 12:56 PM   #16
Crankylove

It metered great for me, but, as Frankenmauser mentioned, the performance was less than stellar.

After the results from the .32's, I really haven't had much motivation to load anything else with it. I still have most of the 1lb can left, and need to do something with. It may go for some 9mm, which I heard people have good results with, or maybe some .38's, for which my reloads are running a little low.