The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 27, 2013, 05:03 AM   #26
qwiksdraw

Counting rounds doesn't work well for me, I start having fun and lose my count. But try this: Load the first round in the magazine with a quiet LR round like the Aquila Super Calibri or CCI Quiet. The difference is sound and feel will tell you it's the last round shot. By the way, it may not cycle the slide, but it does keep you from an unnecessary dry fire.

Shoot often, shoot safe and have fun.
Old March 27, 2013, 09:40 AM   #27
Chris Van

It looks exactly like the stainless one above except it's blued. Has the gold trigger and trim on it.
Old March 27, 2013, 09:50 AM   #28
PT-92

Yeah--That's a plastic insert slide piece that may at some point need replacing either due to use or age--Mine was replaced after about five years of use and approximately 2K rounds downrange.

I would like to get a hold of the new poly model but can't seem to find one in stock even in .25acp...
Old March 27, 2013, 10:27 AM   #29
Gunbunny1

Web...I say make yourself happy!

Personally I like a tried and true design. A derringer. Get them in a good sized calliber...9m or 45. Watch out for the recoil. But at close distance it wont matter. You will always be accurate at 3 feet or less. At that distance if you need an extra shot its ok.
WW11 FN Browning Hi-Power 9m, F.E I. 22lr POS revolver, Sig Mosquito 22lr SA, Taurus 94 22lr revolver. My next gun.....357 magnum revolver or 45 ACP SA....so many choices so little time...hey show me that great big shiney one.....hummmm....looks like my wallet just got several bills lighter..
Old March 27, 2013, 03:00 PM   #30
Chris Van

Doesn't Taurus have a lifetime warranty?
This is only the 2nd Taurus that I've owned. Haven't had the first one very long but don't have any complaints about it so far either.
Old March 27, 2013, 04:19 PM   #31
bonefamily

^^ I believe they do. Enjoy the PT! My wife had the PLY-25 version of that pistol and it worked fine when she had it. She is not a fan of DAO triggers so we traded it in towards another. I wish I would have kept it for myself...
Old March 27, 2013, 09:07 PM   #32
PT-92

Ammo Report

This guy's YouTube Channel is just about as good as it gets IMO. Here's a very pertinent video of ballistic tests relative to HV HP .22lr ammo shot out of short-barreled guns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbVY4gT5P20
Old March 28, 2013, 11:21 AM   #33
weblance

Interesting video. I was surprised. I figured it would be another "22 bullets bounce off human targets" type video. It wasnt. That doesnt mean Im going to give up my 9mm as a carry gun, for a 22, but it does show the 22 can be deadly. But we all knew that.
Old March 28, 2013, 11:47 AM   #34
PT-92

Quote:
weblance

Interesting video. I was surprised. I figured it would be another "22 bullets bounce off human targets" type video. It wasnt. That doesnt mean Im going to give up my 9mm as a carry gun, for a 22, but it does show the 22 can be deadly. But we all knew that.
The surprise was that the Stingers had zero expansion out of the SR22 .
Old March 28, 2013, 02:19 PM   #35
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-92
The surprise was that the Stingers had zero expansion out of the SR22
Well, that didnt surprise me... people have said for years that pistol cartridges like the .32acp and .380acp dont expand out of short barrels, and that you are better off going for penetration, with FMJ.
Old March 28, 2013, 09:21 PM   #36
Stevie-Ray

I'm another that has a older design PT-22 that has never failed. It in fact hasn't failed while shooting mostly Rem Yellow Jackets, a round Taurus specifically recommends against. I have carried it on occasion, years ago as a pocket gun, since the RYJs would be one of the better .22LRs in that regard. Now it's just for fun and in this it excels.
Old March 28, 2013, 09:54 PM   #37
PT-92

Not to veer OT too much, but the PT25 is identical and it's a fine little shooter as well with "arguably" a more reliable cycle/thump.
Old April 25, 2013, 07:05 PM   #38
Chris Van

Is there any way to make the trigger feel any better on this thing?
That is the only thing I've found that I'm not to crazy about on this little PT. You have to pull the trigger to the point that you think it can't go any further and then finally it goes bang.
Old April 25, 2013, 08:17 PM   #39
PT-92

Quote:
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-92
The surprise was that the Stingers had zero expansion out of the SR22
Well, that didnt surprise me... people have said for years that pistol cartridges like the .32acp and .380acp dont expand out of short barrels, and that you are better off going for penetration, with FMJ.
Yeah I think most handgun (semi) shooters that rely on the Stinger do so because it's the only thing that will reliably cycle their semi's action (we have all seen that out of a 10/22 or the like the Stinger does precisely what it is designed to do).

I think there is another (arguably better) choice that one might consider for semi-auto defensive purposes relative to penetration. The .22lr Aquila Interceptor RN40 Grain 1470 FPS looks mighty effective for one concerned that expansion cannot be realized via short barrels so why not opt to shoot for deep penetration...?
Old April 25, 2013, 11:33 PM   #40
ranchito457

Nice little gun!!
Old April 26, 2013, 05:05 AM   #41
NWCP

I had a Beretta in .25ACP. The flip up barrel made it easy to load, unload and clean. Eventually I sold it off and picked up a Baby Browning .25 and enjoy the heck out of it. As for a compact .22 the smallest gun I'll go with is my German built Walther PPK/S in .22LR. It's reliable, accurate and just plain nice to look at. The little Beretta would be OK as a BUG, but I generally carry a Kahr PM9 as my back up. The Walther doesn't get carried, but sure is fun to shoot.
Old April 26, 2013, 08:48 AM   #42
csmsss

Quote:
When I was young, I had a Jennings J22. I never could get it to shoot more than 3 rounds at a time, before it was jammed. I had a Stainless Mark II Target at the time also, so I sold the Jennings and never looked back.
Now why on earth would you want to sell such a fine piece as the J-22? I'm quite certain whatever issues that little gem had were due to user error.

ps...do you think the sucker you sold yours to might want to buy another one?
Old April 27, 2013, 01:50 PM   #43
weblance

LOL. Thats pretty funny. My Jennings was so inaccurate, besides being completely unreliable, that you had a better chance hitting your target, by throwing the gun. They say you never forget your first love... man, I can say that you never forget your first pistol, either. I actually traded it back to the dealer, for a new stainless Ruger Mark II Target. I think I paid $65 for the Jennings. I probably got $10 in store credit. Still have the Mark Target some 30 odd years later.