The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 28, 2015, 05:40 PM   #26
gbc123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom1956 View Post

Judging by his posts. This one would be right up his alley. Looks much more Badass. Has nifty removeable parts. and a pic rail. comes in .357 and .44 for all the recoil you can handle.
Old February 28, 2015, 07:09 PM   #27
skizzums

i say go fr it. I own four taurus' and all have been flawless. I hear the double-action trigger on those can be atrocious, but who is going to shoot .454 DA. I do recommend you at least shoot one first though.

here are some real customer eviews, I don't see any major issues. btw, I had great experience with Taurus CS. most people who say "never buy a Taurus, haven't owned one in the last 5 years since they have had a company makeover. they make quality guns and have good customer service.
check the customer reviews for yourself. not saying Taurus is perfect, but neither is any other company I have boght from, excluding CZ, because their guns are just plain perfect
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/30661

from TTAG
Quote:
This Taurus is built like a tank! Overall it’s larger than say a S&W model 29. The cylinder holds five rounds of either .454 or .45 Colt depending on the shooters intended use of the revolver. It has two cylinder locking devices to strengthen the revolvers lockup under the 60,000 psi pressure of the .454 Casull.
Old March 4, 2015, 12:11 AM   #28
power5

I do want something I will want to shoot so I will pass on the 454 for now I guess. That means its 44 mag time. Always liked Harry anyway.

So, the black 44 mag 6.5 is only $8 cheaper than the SS at Buds. Makes zero sense to me since the 454 is 200 cheaper in black vs SS. I really like the black version. Looks meaner than the SS. Yeah I know I sound like a woman.

Besides my preference to the black any other reasons to pick black over SS? Not sure why the SS 44mag version is so cheap on Buds right now. Definitely going to go look at them in person if my LGS have any. Want to see how the "black" actually looks. Most of my LGS are way overpriced so probably wont be buying on the spot. Hey, maybe they will have a 454 for me to rent.
Old March 4, 2015, 12:03 PM   #29
WIL TERRY

The first Taurus Raging bull 454 we got lasted EXACTLY eleven [ 11..] rounds of factory ammunition before it was inoperable. ALL of the remaining ammunition was gobbled up by a Fredom Arms 454 without incident.
At that time 50% of all those 454 Taurus guns were being returned to Taurus.
You get what you pay for and CHEAP is too damned expensive.
And so it goes...
Old March 4, 2015, 03:36 PM   #30
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Taxes will be paying for it.
First off, NO, YOU will be paying for it with your money that the government has taken from you, and has been using interest free!

Now, to the gun. I have no problem with Taurus. I have not had a single problem with the ones I own. I also have friends, and relatives who are completely satisfied with Taurus products.
I will say you might want to step the caliber back a bit, and go with a 357 Magnum. Plenty of power with 357 Magnum ammo. Easier, and more economical shooting with 38 Special ammo which the 357 shoots perfectly well.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 4, 2015, 05:56 PM   #31
power5

I know how taxes work. However, if I do not put the money in a no interest account the wife spends it all. So tax returns are the only way I get a lump of cash in savings. I spend some and put the rest into investments.

From my research Taurus revolvers are generally well regarded. Not dismissing what you say Wil Terry, but your unfortunate experiences are in the minority it seems.
Old March 4, 2015, 09:02 PM   #32
Driftwood Johnson

I don't get it.

My first revolver was a S&W Model 17-3. 22 Rim Fire. I was 25 and wanted a nice revolver to learn on and to plink inexpensively.

My second revolver was a S&W Model 19-3. Shot mostly with 38s. 357 Mag. 357 Mag does a very nice job on a jug of water.

That was 40 years ago, and dozens of revolvers ago. I have never bought a gun just because it was the biggest and meanest gun I could think of.
Old March 4, 2015, 09:32 PM   #33
Bucksnort1

I have several Taurus handguns in various calibers. I have no problem with any of them. If you are happy with your choice, ignore the negative opinions. You know what they say about opinions.
Old March 4, 2015, 10:00 PM   #34
John D

Get whatever you want. I own about a dozen revolvers - I'd be surprised if you find yourself shooting a 44 Mag regularly. I own four and seldom put more than half a box of ammo through one on the typical session. However, The 38/357 pistols get a far vigorous workout: mild 38's for enjoyable shooting and full-house loads of .357 for that big "boom".
Old March 4, 2015, 10:16 PM   #35
power5

Have shot $50 worth of BMG in a trip to buddies farm. Have shot the same amount of .22. Have shot 4 times the amount of .223 and 9mm and .45. I am not buying a gun to be the best at anything. I am buying this to meet a certain need. That need is to be big and mean and something that makes you giggle a little every time you shoot it even if it makes your hand tingle. I know .357 is enough for any rational threat that may present itself. As I stated though, this is not for threats. Its for fun. Sot it does not need to be "perfect" like all S&W are. It needs to be fun. From videos anyone that says a .357 does "enough" damage to a jug of water also has not shot bigger rounds into said jug. From my experience with a .50bmg the bigger the better with reactive targets. I guess I will just find a LGS with some taurus blue and SS revolvers and see which I feel I need to get.
Old March 5, 2015, 02:07 PM   #36
Cheapshooter

Quote:
That need is to be big and mean and something that makes you giggle a little every time you shoot it even if it makes your hand tingle.
Then get a T/C Contender, and put a 10" 45-70 barrel on it. Mine makes everything tingle!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 5, 2015, 07:29 PM   #37
mmb713

You may want to check Taurus' website. The Raging Bull 454 is not offered in blued anymore. Bud's just did not eliminate it from their website, it happens. If you keep waiting for it to show in stock you aren't going to be happy.

Buy what you want but I wouldn't recommend it for a first revolver either. If you really want to start with a big bore get one but a 357 would be a better starting point, IMHO.

For the money that the Raging Bull goes for you could get a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454, or a 44 Magnum for even less. I'll allow that the Raging Bull is better looking than the SRH but Ruger's are higher quality, hold their value better, and have better customer service.
Old March 6, 2015, 04:05 AM   #38
Cosmodragoon

Given that power5 is an experienced shooter on other platforms and said right out of the gate that he wants a boomer for fun, a .454 isn't a bad choice. Is it the best choice?

Well, .44 magnum is a step down but it's still pretty powerful. It's arguably more comfortable and controllable while still making a big boom. It's enough to hunt with if he is ever so inclined. It's also a lot more common with good variety and availability.

If you go this route, take the time to look at used guns from Ruger and Smith and Wesson. Even used, I'd be more inclined to pay a little more for one of them in good shape than I would a new Taurus. I don't have a lot of experience shooting them but I've closely inspected some of their products. They just aren't as nice and some are worse than others. The way I see it, you are ready to lay down the better part of a grand. That's a serious investment for most of us. If it is something you will love, have for your whole life, and maybe leave to someone you care about when you go... what's a few hundred more? Seriously, set the money aside and add a little to it each paycheck until you get there. Think of all the times you'll be glad you did!

BTW, if you really want more power than a .44 magnum, save up and get yourself a .460 XVR. It'll shoot .45, .454, and the incredible .460, which is really something if you've never had the pleasure. Between the grip, compensation, and large sturdy X-frame; it reigns in all that power more comfortably than most guns you'll find in .454 Casull.
Old March 6, 2015, 08:23 PM   #39
power5

XVR looks amazing but a lot more than I want to spend.

I have settled on staying with 44mag for now. Will not need hunting or SD ammo so just 240gr RFNP will be fine at just $0.52 per round.
Old March 7, 2015, 02:51 AM   #40
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I have settled on staying with 44mag for now.
It may feel like "settling" but even though there are more powerful cartridges out there, I think you will be very pleased!!

Now to choose a gun. Have you chosen a model?

No bias from me: I have a Redhawk 4.2" because it is the very, very best!!
(nudge-nudge, hint-hint, )
Old March 7, 2015, 02:31 PM   #41
gbclarkson

The Taurus name is not a reason to avoid Taurus. My Taurus revolvers have not given me any problems. I have friends who similarly respect their Tauruses. Their QC has improved over the years so a modern production will be more likely to be reliable than older or used first generation runs; and their cloned models, like their Beretta look-alikes, their S&W-style revolvers, and their 1911s, seem to be more trustworthy than their in-house productions like their polymer lines. I don't know if my opinion reflects reality - just a conclusion drawn from reading numerous Taurus threads and product reviews.
Old March 7, 2015, 07:58 PM   #42
power5

I like the GP100 looks. Redhawk not AS much but still attractive. Very expensive though. Was trying to stay under $650. Hence the original question asking about the bluing on the raging bull line.

Really still leaning towards this guy:

44 6.5"