The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 7, 2013, 09:34 AM   #1
ScotchMan

Question on Shotgun fit

Yesterday was an eye opener for me on the trap field. I have been shooting my Browning Citori Lightning Sporting Clays. This was my dad's clay gun and he passed it down to me when his days at the range were largely over. Naturally this gun has sentimental value, but in addition to that, it is a premium clay gun as well.

Yesterday I also took my 870 with a 26" barrel, modified choke (not ideal), and Magpul furniture. The problem is that the 870 was a lot more fun to shoot! Ergonomics were better, recoil was less, I just felt like the gun "worked" with me whereas with the Browning I felt like I had to work around the gun. In addition, the Citori got smacked in the stock by another gun's barrel and now there is a nice little mark there. I don't care what happens to the 870 but I'd like to keep the Citori in top shape...

If I hold the Citori wrong, it smacks me in the cheekbone. Recoil is heavier due to lack of a recoil pad. But I feel like a tool taking my tactical 870 to the field when I have a really nice O/U home in the safe. My performance with both guns was similar, but ideally I would get a 30" barrel for my 870 (the 26" I was using was not mine, it was borrowed).

What can be done to improve the fit on my Citori without making major changes to it that I wouldn't want to do to an heirloom? I don't see how the stock can be adjusted without cutting or replacing it. Should I just resign the Citori to safe queen duty?

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old April 7, 2013, 11:53 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

You can't make a determination on stock fit with one trip to the range and without having some knowledgible person check you for stock fit. Before changing guns, stocks, etc., try to find someone who knows what they are doing and have them check you and the gun for fit. I've been down the road you're going down now. It was many years ago and I changed guns, stocks, etc to no avail. About twenty years ago I found a gentleman who was a stock fitter and he helped me determine what I needed to get the gun to fit me. It made a big difference in my shooting. A suggestion might be to get a gas gun such as a Beretta 390 or 391 that has adjustable shims for stock fit and see what works best for you. Another big plus to these guns is that they are gas operated and super soft shooting. No more getting hit with the recoil of a poor fitting gun.
Old April 7, 2013, 02:32 PM   #3
BigD_in_FL

You need to get fitted properly to see what changes need to be made. You might need an adjustable comb - they cut the comb and put in adjustable gear and use the same comb so it matches.
You might also need an adjustable butt plate like the gracoil
http://www.graco-corp.com/t/gracoil
or the jones:
http://item.brownells.com/quaternary...ates/index.htm

Last edited by BigD_in_FL; April 8, 2013 at 02:41 PM. Reason: spelling clarification
Old April 8, 2013, 01:18 PM   #4
BigJimP

There are also some adhesive comb pads....that you can put on the comb to level it out...

but you need help from someone local ...not over the internet...
------
For what its worth - a standard Citori Lightning model has way too much drop at the heel and comb for me as well. The angle of the comb tends to recoil up against my cheek bone...causing a lot of pain.

The only ways to solve it for me...:

a. wear thicker clothing...to essentially push the gun forward about 3/4" ..so it recoils more under the cheek bone...

b. put a adhesive pad on the comb...to level it out ... ( something like you'd put on a rifle...with a scope ... to level out the comb ).

c. cutting an adj comb into the stock - for me - doesn't work because it doesn't change the angle of the comb.

d. you could restock the gun ...but the value in the gun isn't sufficient to warrant spending $ 2,000 on a custom stock for it. The lightning series is a nice solid gun ...but its not part of the higher end of the Citori line of guns ( like the XS Skeet or the XT Trap ).

Last edited by BigJimP; April 8, 2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old April 8, 2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Husqvarna

some camping sleeping madrass (the one you roll up) some ducktape, go crazy to get the buttstock you fit, then take it to a gunsmith and get a new one close to that.

I think adjustable ones look horrible on a o/u

there are probably replacements you can get so you don't have to cut up the original stock
Old April 8, 2013, 11:44 PM   #6
Dreaming100Straight

I am surprised that recoil (you mean felt recoil) was less with the 870. It may be because it fits you better. I don't know about MagPull, but the stock 870 is known for having a thin stock. The additional weight of the Citori should absorb more of the felt recoil, if it fits.
Old April 9, 2013, 05:28 AM   #7
Virginian

Personally, I would relegate the Citori to safe queen. Yes you can adjust the fit, but like you said that involves modifying the gun, which you do not want to do. I shoot my 1100s and my Wingmaster better than any O/U ever made, and it has never bothered me since I sold my LAST O/U.
Everyone is different. Don't worry about it.