The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 17, 2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Texshooter

Another sign I am getting Old

is I am gravitating back to my wheelies because I hate picking up the brass, and these days I really don't want to leave any on the floor for others.

There are just so many neat ones out today that I can't buy em all right now.

But I really enjoy target shooting with the single action wheelies, a lot of fun.

Anyone bought a new one lately worthy of consideration?
Old February 17, 2013, 03:11 PM   #2
s3779m

Yea, a new model black hawk, 357 6.5" barrel. Gave it a poor mans trigger job and done nothing else to it but fire it. Great gun, and can't help it but stainless is prettier than basic black. Have not pulled a muscle picking up brass.
Old February 17, 2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Pat T

Just last week picked up a nickel S&W 40-1 no lock lemon-squeezer .38 spl+p, pretty little thing! I saw it in the gun case when prowling for reloading supplies and couldn't get it off my mind so went back a couple days later and bought it. It doesn't look like it's been fired or carried much at all, and shoots very pleasantly compared to the Ruger LCP I have.
Old February 17, 2013, 06:34 PM   #4
redlevel42

I have been buying Lipsey's exclusive Rugers. They have offered some good-looking and good-shooting firearms the last couple of years. Here is a Birdshead New Vaquero I got last year, stainless in .45ACP. I have had a blast with it. Had to judiciously file the sights down to get it shooting to poa with 230 grain bullets.

This Lipsey's Exclusive .45 Colt/.45ACP Flattop Blackhawk on the .357 frame is languishing in the safe. I have had it for more than a year, and have only fired a dozen rounds. I am looking forward to putting it through its paces.

I just got this Lipsey's Bearcat "Shopkeeper" with 3" barrel and birdshead grip. I have had it a couple of weeks and have fired 300-400 rounds so far. It is a keeper!

Old February 17, 2013, 06:43 PM   #5
SIGSHR

Pretty much have prefered wheelies for most of the 40 years I have been shooting and reloading.
Old February 17, 2013, 06:45 PM   #6
David13

Black powder. So the spent caps go all over. It's brass, but real small and smashed brass.
dc
Old February 17, 2013, 07:19 PM   #7
Joe_Pike

I'm going the other direction for some reason. I can't stop looking at 1911s. I sold five revolvers last year and gifted two others. If it wasn't for lack of money, the 1911s would be piling up.
Old February 17, 2013, 07:34 PM   #8
Gdawgs

I bought an SP101 in 327 a few weeks ago. Finally got it out to the range for the first time today. That 327 is a sweet little round.

Redlevel, you have to quit posting pictures of the Shopkeeper! I want one REAAAAAL bad now. Where did you get it?
Old February 17, 2013, 07:48 PM   #9
jglsprings

If shooting and buying more revolvers is the worst part of getting older then I"m in.

All the other crap that goes with getting old - I'll fight that instead.

Those single actions are a lot of fun!

Commas save lives...
Old February 17, 2013, 07:58 PM   #10
robhof

robhof

My first pistol experience was with a double action and then came a single shot kit gun in B/p and now I'm all over the place; auto, double action and a growing stable of B/p single action. The B/p is currently my most used, slower pace and something addicting about the smell and smoke...
Old February 19, 2013, 03:18 AM   #11
Sheikyourbootie

Single action revolvers ARE fun to shoot. Not having to stoop over for the brass is an added bonus, too.

Old February 19, 2013, 04:17 AM   #12
Niantician

Re: Another sign I am getting Old

A Ruger SBH in 44 will probably be my next handgun. They are fun to shoot and timeless in design. And Im only 32.
Old February 19, 2013, 04:36 AM   #13
dahermit

I shoot mostly revolvers. However, I have and shoot several autos so shooting from my pole barn door out to my berm, I have built a wood-frame and tarp brass catcher. All my brass is ejected up, toward the angled tarp where it is intercepted and it slides down into a large "pocket". Policing up the brass is a matter of scooping them out of the pocket with both hands. If you cannot visualize what I just explained, go over to one of your wifes drapes on a window, pick it up from the bottom with both hands and take a step back.
Of course such remedies are only possible if you have your own poll-barn range.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:48 AM   #14
kcub

I'm noticing that not only is the future not what it used to be, history ain't even what it used to be.
Old February 19, 2013, 10:18 AM   #15
redlevel42

Redlevel, you have to quit posting pictures of the Shopkeeper! I want one REAAAAAL bad now. Where did you get it?

I asked my local guy to get one for me just a few days after they were unveiled at the SHOT Show. He is a big Lipsey's dealer. He had it for me in a couple of weeks. I live near a small town in Middle Georgia of about 2000 people. We have one of the largest (probably the largest) gun stores in Georgia. They usually have what you want in stock. If not, they will have it in a few days.
Old February 19, 2013, 10:53 AM   #16
Bob Wright

Age has got nothing to do with it. It is simply undignigfied to stoop over to pick up brass.

A proper handgun deposits empties into the palm of your hand.

Bob Wright
Old February 19, 2013, 11:14 AM   #17
redlevel42

Bob, I want so much to agree with you, but like a drunk who keeps going back for another swig, I keep putting a 1911 in the range bag.

They just shoot so good, and it is so easy to get back on target, and that unique slightly torquing, twisting yet not unpleasant recoil is so familiar and enticing . . . . then I have to chase the brass down.

Don't get me wrong, 90% of my shooting is with a S&W or Ruger (single action . . . remember, S&W for DA, Ruger for SA), but I just have to get a dose of that 1911 now and then. (Notice, I didn't mention the "G" word.)
Old February 19, 2013, 12:51 PM   #18
Magnum Wheel Man

TEX... could probably find several quotes of mine on this forum, that look identical to your original post...

just traded a FN-5-seven for a pair of polished stainless Vaqueros in 357 magnum... I think I got the better deal...

my ( modern ) single action revolvers include small to big...

stainless NAA Mini in 22 lr
stainless Ruger Single 10 ( being converted to an 8 shot 25 acp )
custom converted blued & brass 32 caliber opentop blackpowder to 32 S&W
a pair of polished stainless Ruger Single Sixes in 32 H&R magnum
the pair of polished stainless Ruger Vaqueros in 357 magnum
a custom blued & brass A Schmidt 44-40
a pair of polished stainless Ruger Montado's in 45 Colt
a custom polished stainless Ruger Montado birdshead snubbie
a custom blued Ruger blackhawk in 45 acp / 45 auto rim, with an extra 45 Colt cylinder
a custom 5 shot blued Ruger Super Blackhawk in 50 A.E.

then I've got a couple antique ones as well ( I collect pocket spur trigger single actions )
Old February 19, 2013, 03:31 PM   #19
Texshooter

Mr. Redlevel,

May I ask which store you are referring to? I live in Gwinnett, but travel up and down the state.

One of greatest joys in life is finding a new gun emporium
Old February 19, 2013, 05:27 PM   #20
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Kind of fond of this single six, new to me at least. Also found a new favorite round to shoot at 15 and 25 yards with. I don't disturb my sister in the house or my neighbors. The sight needs to be adjusted for this load but the ones out of the group were on me not the gun.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 19, 2013, 05:42 PM   #21
redlevel42

May I ask which store you are referring to? I live in Gwinnett, but travel up and down the state.

Tex, the store is Barrow Automotive in Butler, Georgia, about 100 miles due South of the Gold Dome. I have owed them money since 1973. Not only do they have a good selection and prices, but they are very nice people to do business with. They are a NAPA parts place/gun store. I have seen US Senators, a former Attorney General of the United States, professional athletes, Governors of Georgia, and us plain old dirt farmers in the store.

Old February 19, 2013, 08:42 PM   #22
Texshooter

many thanks!
Old February 19, 2013, 08:57 PM   #23
kcub

Those cbee22s are squirrel killers in my backyard.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:50 PM   #24
Cheapshooter

Redlevel42, no way can those be current photos! If they are, I'm extremely jealouse!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 19, 2013, 10:11 PM   #25
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texshooter
I am gravitating back to my wheelies because I hate picking up the brass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright
A proper handgun deposits empties into the palm of your hand.
eh...ok. I guess it's best you stick to cowboy guns, then. I got me one of them newfangled wheelguns, and I still bend over to pick up my brass