The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 10, 2013, 11:02 PM   #1
kylefuller

9mm Ballistic Gel Tests

Check out my Ballistic gel tests. I have a few more on the way, any suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/user/NinjaVa.../videos?view=0

Thanks,

Kyle
Old February 11, 2013, 12:43 AM   #2
Dragline45

First off, welcome to TheFiringLine!

Good to see the 135gr hydra shock performed well since it has been my carry round for the past few months. I was also surprised at how well the .22 ammo performed, especially since it is bulk ammo. Since you asked for suggestions you could always try wrapping some of the ballistic gel with denim to mimic the effect of clothing.

By the way, what did you use for ballistic gel? I have been interested in doing a few tests myself.
Old February 11, 2013, 01:11 AM   #3
kylefuller

Just mix up clear gelatin real thick, it takes ALOT. We plan on alot of defense rounds, and then we will start adding denim, and other obstacles.

Thanks for watching, and for your reply all suggestions, or requests are welcome

Thanks guys, look forward to talking to you guys on here great forum!

Kyle
Old February 11, 2013, 01:43 AM   #4
mrbatchelor

To "really count" as ballistic gel - beyond your scope I realize - it needs to be within some specific temperature range. I don't know what temp specifically, but a pretty nippy winter day down south or fall/spring day farther north probably makes outside a reasonably good temperature regulator. But your snowy day looks good enough.

Last edited by mrbatchelor; February 11, 2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old February 11, 2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The temperature is supposed to be 39 degrees F. But without the formula, there's no way of knowing how closely this home brew mix approximates real ballistic gel. The real stuff is available only from two sources and it's VERY expensive.
Old February 11, 2013, 10:47 AM   #6
mrbatchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
The temperature is supposed to be 39 degrees F. But without the formula, there's no way of knowing how closely this home brew mix approximates real ballistic gel. The real stuff is available only from two sources and it's VERY expensive.
Since "ballistic gel" must necessarily be made from protein gelatin, and it's almost a guarantee that's going to be animal protein gelatin, a whole bunch of boxes of Knox are going to be pretty darn close.

I suspect that the real stuff probably has a specific gravity spec that is published. And if so then it could be duplicated so the home made gel would truly duplicate it if you had the temperature right. But your mixing controls might be a little tough to get exactly right in the back yard.

What you're paying for from the real deal guys isn't so much higher quality dead cows, but higher quality process management in the formulation. You can do that yourself, just like you can reload your own ammo. And then we absorb that cost into our personal labor.

Last edited by mrbatchelor; February 11, 2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old February 11, 2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Since "ballistic gel" must necessarily be made from protein gelatin, and it's almost a guarantee that's going to be animal protein gelatin, a whole bunch of boxes of Knox are going to be pretty darn close.
There are many recipes on the Internet for using grocery store Knox gelatin to approximate ballistic gel, and some of them probably do come fairly close. But there is no indication of what the mix recipe was for the original post in this thread, so there's no way to know how close it might or might not be to the real thing.
Old February 11, 2013, 06:12 PM   #8
Dragline45

Beats the hell out of gallon water jugs.
Old February 11, 2013, 07:39 PM   #9
kylefuller

The gallon jugs dont do some rounds justice, the hydrashok is one of those. Look a some of the jug tests and most of the time you'll see a huge difference. Mine is about the same consitency of the animal protein sim gels. I went through alot of work to make the ammount i did. They have all been remelted several times and each block is of the same density.

On a side note, at some point i will get some actual gel if we do well enough, if so that will warrant a re-test.
Old February 11, 2013, 07:48 PM   #10
KyJim

I think the tests are interesting but I don't take them real seriously because of the lack of calibration, density, etc. They're a step above wetpacks and gallon jugs of water.

If I were going to do anything approaching serious terminal ballistic testing, I would use a chronograph and invest in Sim-Test ballistic gel. It's reusable and would be a lot easier on the pocketbook than the standard gelatin used by the FBI, etc.
Old February 11, 2013, 07:53 PM   #11
kylefuller

I'm getting results within a 1/4" of some who are using Sim-test, the thing i do not like about sim test is the lack of clarity, you see much more in this type of gel. These are mostly for fun, and as long as i am consistent in my controls I think you could still pull data.

Thanks,

Kyle
Old February 11, 2013, 07:59 PM   #12
mrbatchelor

At minimum I suggest cutting about 10-20 1cm x 1 cm samples as close to cubical as you can get them, preferably measureed for size at the required 39 degrees, and weigh them on as decent a scale as you can get.

You can use US coins as scale calibration standards. To ensure reasonable consistancy weigh at least 10-20 coins as well to account for coin wear. Google coin weights for the standards.

The calipers sold at most hardware stores today are pretty darned good.

Known size and known weight gives specific gravity. That's density.

So what if this doesn't give any of us a "tracable standard" for the measurements. I don't have a traceable thermometer for my lead pot either, and the bullets come out the barrel. We're not selling to the FBI.

Kodak sold the gelatin plant in Peabody MA last year so they're probably hurting for customers. Might be willing to ship bulk stuff.

Last edited by mrbatchelor; February 11, 2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:06 PM   #13
kinoons

Another option to lend credibility is a calibration shot from a BB gun. I don't have the standard infront of me, but I know it's available. Specific FPS should equal a specifc penetration into your gel. Get close to than and you have some good gel.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:57 PM   #14
michael t

shooting thru 2 layers denim pretty much standard today. Add that to your test . Lot of HP fail when shot thru the denim.