The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 25, 2012, 01:43 PM   #1
scouty

Why is my sizing die not sizing???

Hi all, Just started .223. I rolled 10 test rounds no problems, fired all ten, I was proud! Full length sized 25 more cases (FC 223 REM) and deprimed them, Installed new primers, powder and when I went to seat the bullet it didn't want to fit in the case mouth, I held it in place and ran it thru the bullet seating die and when it came out it has a ring at the top of the case, it's as if the case was starting to collapse, I will try and get some photos posted later. The dies are Lee , have never had a problem with their dies before. The bullet is a Hornady 55g Soft point .224. Want to hear what you think. Thanks..
Old March 25, 2012, 01:50 PM   #2
dmazur

Without at least a couple of photos to show the sequence, it isn't clear what is happening. So then we speculate -

The die in question has an expander button as part of the decapper? When you say you full-length resized and deprimed them, that was part of the same step, was it not?

Assuming the die still has all of its parts, and they are assembled correctly, the expander button drags on the inside of the neck on the way out and expands it to the correct diameter for seating a bullet.

It sounds like your expander button is missing...
Old March 25, 2012, 02:16 PM   #3
j357

how are you charging with powder? If you are using a Lee rifle charging die, please take it apart and confirm whether it has machined concentric rings on the bottom of the tube that actuates the measure. If so, you might need to smooth those out a little, they may be rolling the mouth of the case in.
Old March 25, 2012, 02:38 PM   #4
mrawesome22

Chamfer the case mouths.
Old March 25, 2012, 09:49 PM   #5
j357

/\+1 but do not sharpen the mouth to a knife edge.
Old March 25, 2012, 11:47 PM   #6
uncyboo

Quote:
Chamfer the case mouths.
This......

Quote:
/\+1 but do not sharpen the mouth to a knife edge.
And this......

Your handloading manual that I'm sure you bought and read 3 times before you started handloading should have covered this.
Old March 26, 2012, 08:50 AM   #7
243winxb

Quote:
went to seat the bullet it didn't want to fit in the case mouth,
chamfer case mouth
Quote:
ran it thru the bullet seating die and when it came out it has a ring at the top of the case,
The case is being crimped. Adjust your seating die out/up.
Old March 26, 2012, 10:26 AM   #8
mehavey

Scouty,

(1) I assume you are SIZING normally:
- You have a die w/ combined de-priming pin/expander ball**
- The pin is adjusted to entend 1/4"-ish down below the die mouth
- The die is screwed into the press to where it stops up against the shellholder when the ram is raised and lockring cinched down.

(bullet is pointing to expander ball)

(2) I assume you have adjusted the SEATER die so as not to crimp
- You have put an empty case in the shellholder/ram and raised it all the way up
- You have screwed the seater die body down until it first contacts the case
- You have backed the die body off 1/2 turn (get if off the case) and cinched the lockring down.

(3) When seating the bullet from this point, it should not slide into the case to start. You should
have the align the bullet in the case opening by hand until it disappears into the die mouth and the
ram presses it into the neck under tension.

Last edited by mehavey; March 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old March 26, 2012, 06:18 PM   #9
30Cal

I've never heard of anyone buckling the shoulder except by crimping way too much.
Old March 26, 2012, 06:35 PM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

Run an empty case all the way to the top of a stroke. Then screw the seating die down till you feel it touch the case mouth. Back it out 2 full turns. Then adjust your bullet seater to the desired length. Your problem will dissappear. VOILA