The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 26, 2013, 07:09 AM   #1
Rmasters3

Browning Auto-5 recoil pad question

I recently picked up a 1947 made A-5 with the knob stock. It had been cut and fitted with a Jostam Anti-Flinch recoil pad which is rock hard. To replace it, I understand I'll need to fit a pad to my stock, but at least one pad I have is a somewhat different profile (slightly narrower) so I'd have to go to a larger one with more grinding to fit. Can anyone suggest a close fit pad for this stock to minimize my fitting?
Old March 26, 2013, 11:01 AM   #2
PetahW

I doubt it.

Since I doubt anybody can mind-meld the present exact size & shape of YOUR A-5's cut off buttstock, it's up to you.

What I do is set the bare wood butt (less pad) down on a 3"x5" index card & trace around the butt's outline with a pencil.

I'd label it "A-5" inside the outline & cut the outline out of the rest of the index card with scissors, before I fold it up and place it in my wallet & go shopping (funshops, funshows, gunsmiths, whatever).

At least you should be able to use the pattern you made to obtain something close to what you want.

Old March 26, 2013, 05:54 PM   #3
Orphanedcowboy

Re: Browning Auto-5 recoil pad question

Pachmayr has the dimensions listed on their website. Measure the width, length, thickness and screw spacing and find a pad you like and order it.

Or, contact Mike Orlen and send him the butt stock and have him replace it, it will fit perfectly and be cheaper than you ordering it and having a local gunsmith fit it.
Old March 27, 2013, 09:17 PM   #4
Scorch

For A5s, I usually get a medium sized pad. But you can look at the application chart and figure it out. Meaasure your buttstock, then order the pad that fits.