The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 10, 2013, 02:32 PM   #1
Zachary H.

CZ shotguns?

I have been looking into buying an autoloader shotgun and ran across the CZ guns. Their prices seem very competitive or less than Remington or Mossberg; how do they compare quality wise? I know that their handguns and rifles have an excellent reputation.
I would be using it for an HD and farm gun. I have been looking specifically at the CZ 720. I have to have a 20ga as 12 just recoils too much for me.
Thanks for your replies!
Old March 11, 2013, 09:21 AM   #2
erob3

I am not a shotgun guy but over the last couple of weeks I have definitely become more educated due to my son wanting to shoot clays at my local shooting range. I have read and read and read and asked questions of good, very patient guys here on the forum to the point of information overload. I am a pistol guy and you are correct that CZ makes some of the best pistols and rifles money can buy. To my disappointment when I looked at a CZ shotgun I was shocked to learn they are made in Turkey, along with Mossberg, along with Huglu, along with Yildiz and a host of others. I am getting the feeling that like alot of other companies they are trying to get their share of the market of folks looking to spend in the $500-$600 range and get a new shotgun. CZ does offer CZ USA models of shtoguns but guess what, they are over $1000 and I have no doubt the quality is at the same level as their pistols and rifles. My son actually got to shoot a Yildiz Turkish shotgun yesterday, it was very light weight and did not feel sturdy at all. His first comment to me when he finished, "it felt dinky" and did not manage the recoil at all. I'm not knocking CZ, they are trying to sell shotguns. IF you decide to buy a Turkish made shotgun I would get theirs just for the simple fact of customer service; CZ has excellent customer service. I don't know if that helps but that's what I have learned. Good luck.

Last edited by erob3; March 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old March 11, 2013, 09:41 AM   #3
sunaj

I've got the Bobwhite sxs and for the price it is a dandy,
the etching isn't particularly noteworthy but what is these days in an inexpensive gun,
great wood, locks up tight, a pleasure to shoot, lifetime guarantee if I recall, came with 3 chokes

sunaj
Old March 11, 2013, 10:46 AM   #4
PetahW

IMHO, the Turkish-made doubleguns are "ok", but I would definitely recommend a "pass" on the repeaters (pump or autoloader).

When one needs repair (not "if"), an owner will be up hard against it, both for parts and someone qualified & willing to work on one - especially not when a REAL quality US-made autoloader, like a Remington, can be had in like-new (but "used") condition for only a few dollars more, AND they're eminently repairable, everywhere.

Old March 11, 2013, 10:56 AM   #5
Striker1

Pretty sure CZ-USA in Kansas City can repair the gun if needed. FWIW,, I have had a CZ 712 since around '04...only has about 100 rounds through it but no problems so far.
Old March 11, 2013, 01:50 PM   #6
BigJimP

+ 1 on Erob3's comments......

I think their quality is suspect, at best....
Old March 14, 2013, 04:47 PM   #7
Striker1

A good place to read reviews on them and other shotguns as well:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php
Old March 14, 2013, 06:20 PM   #8
Joe Chicago

I handled both the CZ Redhead and Canvasback today, since I was considering getting one or the other in 20 gauge. Here are my impressions:

They both fit me and pointed well. The triggers were fine.

The silver finish on the Redhead receiver almost looked like some kind of plating or paint over the engraving. It looked poorly done and cheap.

The barrels were plated in 'black chrome', which the salesman was touting as superior to bluing. They did look nice, but I have never heard of 'black chrome' before (isn't that an oxymoron?).

The wood was so smooth and free of grain that it looked like the plastic faux wood you see in car dashboards. According to the salesmen and the CZ website, it is Turkish walnut.

I broke the Redhead down and the inside of the receiver had what looked like flash marks, as though the piece was cast in a mold.

Surprisingly, the Canvasback had a single extractor that lifts both rounds regardless of which were fired. I am used to seeing separate ejectors or extractors that only lift the fired shell, so this struck me as cheap. I guess if you are removing the fired shell(s) from an extractor it doesn't make much difference if there is one for both barrels. They have to save money somewhere.

The finish on the safety/barrel selector and top lever was poor and the safety did not move smoothly.

I handled the guns at Gat Guns. Earlier in the day, the salesman at Gander Mountain spoke highly of the CZ Redhead. He did not have any in stock and knew I was heading to another store, so he had no reason to talk it up.

After handling the Redhead and Canvasback, I am not sure if I would buy one. Too bad I am not partial to S/S guns - CZ has some beautiful S/S shotguns.
Old March 14, 2013, 09:59 PM   #9
Slugo

Their SxS guns are really nice shooters, especially the 20 gauge Ringneck...