The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 21, 2011, 11:52 PM   #1
mjblucci

whats the deal with my 870 wingmaster

i just got my first shotgun. a fairly decent yet fairly inexpensive Remington 870 Wingmaster. it seems very adequate for everything i need except waterfowl, i bought a slug barrel that will take three inch shells but i quickly realized that id made a mistake and that the receiver wouldn't be safe using three inchers. so now im shopping for new 2 3/4 inch slugs the Remington copper solids are labeled as 2 3/4 inch MAGNUM shells. until now id only seen three inch shells labeled as magnum shells. could anyone offer me any advice, so as to not damage my gun nor myself by making sure i know what ammo this gun can take? i just want to know if anything can be labeled strangely to lead me in an unsafe direction.

thanks in advance.
Old December 22, 2011, 01:15 AM   #2
Regolith

Check the receiver for the serial number. If it ends in an "M", it's a "magnum" receiver and can handle 3" shells. If it has an "SM" it's a super magnum and can handle 3 1/2 inch shells.

I do not believe Remington has made an 870 not capable of handling 3" shells for a long time now, so your shotgun should be able to handle them. Just check to make sure.
Old December 22, 2011, 01:27 AM   #3
zippy13

Greetings mjblucci, and welcome aboard.

The term "magnum" is used pretty loosely. The 2 3/4-inch shells in question are "magnums" when compared with target or light field loads; but, rest assured, they are safe to use in any modern 12-ga shotgun. Most folks think of magnum 12-ga guns as being chambered for 3-inch shells and super, or maxi, mags as guns with 3 1/3-inch chambers.
Old December 22, 2011, 02:21 AM   #4
bamaranger

magnums

The 2-3/4 inch magnum designation will be safe in any 2-3/4 inch gun in good condition. It usually denotes a slightly heavier payload for shot shells.
I shot them quite a bit from my Dad's 16ga back in the day, to get 12ga payloads from a 16.

NOt sure that I've seen it applied to slugs.
Old December 22, 2011, 02:53 AM   #5
Stiofan

BTW, a Wingmaster is one of the best waterfowl pump shotguns ever made, and has arguably taken more geese and ducks than any other. All you need is the right barrel and choke.
Old December 22, 2011, 03:22 AM   #6
mjblucci

THANK YOU! those are all very helpful hints. the original barrel is just a smooth bore barrel with no choke. but i do indeed want to hunt those pesky ducks and geese. i tried some three inch remington sabots through the receiver before my first deer hunt with the slug barrel. it jammed up a few times before loading smoothly. but after a few attempts there seemed to be no problem. its a used gun. so im not positive how old it is. i assume maybe i could get a ballpark from the serial number correct?

p.s. i didnt see any deer so i didnt get to shoot the sabbots to find out the hard way.
Old December 22, 2011, 03:59 AM   #7
Edward429451

You have a good gun and it will safely shoot any 2 3/4" shells no matter the designation.
Old December 22, 2011, 10:12 AM   #8
oregunner

"the original barrel is just a smooth bore barrel with no choke."
The original barrel is probably choked, even if it doesn't have screw-in chokes. Look on the side of the barrel for a designation, Full, mod, IC, etc.
Mark
Old December 23, 2011, 06:51 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

1-800-243-9700 is Remington's service number. Work through the phone tree until you reach a real person. Give them the serial number and they'll give you an approximate born on date.

Not that it matters. They're all good....

Sabots work best in rifled barrels. You may do better using Brenekke or Rifled slugs in a smoothbore.

Take good care of your fine 870. Your great grandchildren will thank you for it....

Tags
870 , wingmaster